Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I'm really disliking Rogue's design. It's kind of indicative of Mashima with "important" characters in that there's a set of pieces he'll cobble together for a big design and that's it. Rogue just has no character; it's like he was designed by a 12 year old to be the secret, real boss of the arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

Mm. Makes sense to me! The only option is to go into the future to kill Future Rogue before Future Rogue went into the past, but after Present Rogue turned to "the dark side" and became evil Future Rogue.

:ughh:

I hate time paradoxes.

It doesn't matter what you do as long as you let Natsu do it. The manga will twist and turn so as not to let him put a foot wrong no matter what he does so all he ever has to do is punch faces forever.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Zeref is one of the blandest villains I've ever seen. Everything about him is boring; design, mannerisms, the nonsense foreshadowing-talk he spews, he's just *awful.*

Right? Am I crazy?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

This manga has the worst pacing and world-building I've ever seen outside of Kenichi. It's just loving absurd that week on week we meet this new hyper-powerful organization that we've heard absolutely nothing about before, and then Natsu punches their big-bad first time around for a KO. It's just bananas.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

And we're already encountering the next Empire's strongest warriors right away because Mashima has literally no ability to pace himself. Lovely.

Also, the usual accusations of it being generic, derivative crap, I guess.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Spiderdrake posted:

MANLY!

Also perfectly placed taint blocking cat. And the visuals for ... I didn't even catch miss powerlevel's name (and really, who cares)... powers in action were fantastic.

His panoramas of large-scale fights or spells have been getting better and better. Natsu punching the giant forgettable demon had a great sense of scale to it, as did the dragon fights, whenever it was they were around.

Spiderdrake posted:

Her design is awful but those panels were really sharp.

Mashima has created two good designs with this manga. Natsu is one and Gajeel is the other. Everyone else is varying levels of bland, gimmicky or outright stolen. Zeref is hands-down the laziest design for a primary antagonist I've ever seen.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I love that she name-dropped Karen as if that was meant to elicit a response from the reader beyond utter bafflement.

Oh that one girl out of the thing who did the thing? One of the dozens of replaceable evil girls? Okay.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

He's a fantastic artist.

He's just the most bland, blatantly derivative writer I've ever read. He'll write anything he thinks will make his story sell more to more people.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

kohon posted:

I wonder if Mashima is going to explain how others can use Law. Considering what it did to Mavis when she used it.

The same answer to absolutely everything.

Because we are Fairy Tail!!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I got Tartaros mixed up with the jobbers from the last arc there for a minute.

You know the cult guys, whatever their names were.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

This has become one of those mangas where I'm cheering for the villains just because of how implausible their losses are and how the main cast refuse to do anything new or interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I just can't get over how awful Mashima is at doing character designs.

For background shots he's amazing, for fight scenes he's really good, but for character designs you can tell he's trying to draw inspiration from how kooky yet strangely cool Oda's designs are, and yet all he can consistently come up with is terribleness like tiny-mouthed-skull-head-Statham.

• Locked thread