Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fairy Tail is written by Hiro Mashima in Weekly Shonen Magazine.

Fairy Tail mostly takes place in the Kingdom of Fiore which is part of Earth Land. There magic is common and mages congregate together in Mage Guilds. Mage Guilds provide members both a place to socialize and the opportunity at jobs of the adventurous type. Members of a guild get a magic tattoo of their guild crest somewhere on their body. Not surprisingly Fairy Tail follows the exploits of one of the most famous of the Mage Guilds, Fairy Tail.

What Fairy Tail is actually about

Fairy Tail is a manga about expressing your love for your friends via massive property destruction.

Important Characters

Lucy Heartfilia

Lucy uses Celestial Magic. Born into a rich family, she ran away to become a mage and join Fairy Tail. While Lucy is pretty much the worst at fights, she’s beloved not only in Fairy Tail but in the Celestial Realm, which is all but of unheard of among Celestial Mages.

Erza”Titania” Scarlet

Erza uses Requip Magic. Erza appears to be a very strict person, often criticizing the bad behavior and habits of the other guild members, causing most members to apologize for fear that they might invoke her wrath.

Gray Fullbuster

Gray uses Ice Magic. Gray has a tendency to unconsciously strip off his cloths but is one of the top mages in Fairy Tail. He and Natsu have a rivalry thing going on and frequently get along as well as ice and fire would be expected to.

Jellal “Gerard” Fernandes

A childhood friend of Erza, he almost always has something to do with whatever is going down with Fairy Tail. Even an alternate universe counterpart was a member of Fairy Tail for part of the story. Jellal has been good, evil, possessed by evil, neutral, and good. In this thread he’s most often called Gerard because that’s how his name was originally translated.

Natsu “Salamander” Dragneel

Natsu uses Fire Dragon Slayer Magic. Accompanied by his best friend Happy, a flying cat, Natsu is on a quest to find out what happened to the dragon who raised him, Igneel.

Gajeel “Black Steel” Redfox

Gajeel uses Iron Dragon Slayer Magic. When he isn’t strumming his guitar and singing for the delight of audiences, he’s off kicking rear end with the best flying cat, Pantherlily.

Wendy Marvell

Wendy uses Sky Dragon Slayer Magic. Originally a member of another guild, Wendy and her flying cat, Carla, joined Fairy Tail in what seems to be a very strong trend for Dragon Slayers. Wendy’s magic is mostly healing based and Carla has limited precognitive powers that she frequently ignores.

Zeref “The Black Mage”

Zeref is more or less the Boogey Man Hitler of the Fiore history. 500 years ago he more or less tried to take over the world and is more or less worshiped by many of the bad guys. At one point in the story he shows up as an amnesiac good guy, but of course becomes evil again soon after. Obligatory Jellal Link: Zeref once possessed Jellal in order to make a super tower of evil evilness.

The Plot, should you for some reason want to just jump in without actually reading back chapters.

The story began with Lucy joining Fairy Tail and having adventures with the rest of the guild. At this time Fairy Tail was the top guild in the land. At one point her father hired the guild Gajeel was then a member of to force her to leave Fairy Tail and return home. In another story the crew goes to an alternate universe, which it turns out is the home of all the flying cats and where Jellal is actually a prince. During testing on Fairy Tail’s private island, the guild members who were present were attacked by the dragon Achnologia. Just as the assembled members were about to be destroyed, the ghost of the first Fairy Tail guild master cast a magic spell that saved them all in a time bubble.

Seven years later the guild has fallen from glory into near ruin. At this time the members of Fairy Tail who were on the island return, having not aged at all in the intervening 7 years. During the timeskip a tournament was set up for all the guilds in order to rank them. Every year Fairy Tail has come in last place. However, this year with all their member returned, they’ve vowed to once again become the top guild in Fiore.

Are there any groups other than Fairy Tail who are important?

The Magic Council: The worldwide governing body of magic. Pretty much a bunch of jerks who hate fun and do very little to save the world, but alot to inadvertently put it in harms way. Obligatory Jellal Link: Jellal was of course once a member.

The Ten Wizard Saints: More or less the ten best wizards in the world. The Guild Master of Fairy Tail is a member. So far they haven’t done anything but be a title. Obligatory Jellal Link: Yep, Jellal was a member.

Blue Pegasus: A guild that is friendly with Fairy Tail, often sharing in adventures. Blue Pegasus was the guild who found the missing Fairy Tail members post time skip. There’s also a flying cat who looks almost exactly like their 2nd in comand.

Quatro CeberusPuppy: Another guild friendly with Fairy Tail. After losing a bet with Fairy Tail during the tournament they have been forced to go by Quatro Puppy for the duration of the tournament.

Lamia Scale Yet another guild that's friendly with Fairy Tail. They've got one of the 10 Wizard Saints and the other apprentice of Gray's magic teacher in their ranks.

The Exceed: The race of flying cats most often linked with Dragon Slayers. After Fairy Tail beat all the bad guys in the alternate dimension the Exceed are native to, the Exceed were sent back to Earth Land with Fairy Tail. Some people hate them, some people like them.

Dragon Slayers: Raised by dragons, dragon slayers learn the magical abilities of their parent dragon. If a dragon slayer is low on magic, or even just hungry, they can eat whatever “element” their magic uses to recharge. If they’re in a real bind, some dragon slayers will even eat magic unrelated to their “element” which can give them a temporary power up but which is also pretty dangerous.

There are also artificial dragon slayers who have had magic surgery to give them dragon slayer powers. These seem to be even rarer than actual Dragon Slayers.

Useful links

Kissmanga

Fairy Tail wiki

Is there an anime I can watch?

There was/is, but nobody really talks about it and the last anime thread died. As of the 30th of March it is apparently on an indefinite hiatus, with the last episode covering chapter 297 and ending in the middle of the story arc.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Chapter 325 is up.

The king looks kind of like a mix of Markov and Ichiya

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ChronoReverse posted:

I wonder what's behind that gate that's so heinous.

The dragons, of course.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Redcrimson posted:

Be honest, how long have you been waiting to bust out this thread title?

Anyways, seeing as how the anime just "ended" a few hours ago, could someone who has been following the anime and the manga kindly tell me what chapter the show leaves off at?

I just looked it up because I didn't know the anime was over. It all ends with them discovering the dragon bones under the arena. So chapter 297, in the middle of the tournament.

Edit: For anyone who quit watching when they went into filler, but wants to see the brief return to adaptation, episode 151 looks to be where it picks back up. Guess the filler they did was really bad.

Edit 2: If blue hair Jellal surprised you, wait till you see what colors the frog cat is supposed to be.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 30, 2013

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think the plot synopsis is the most recent thing, and that's 60 chapters old. Everything else is from way before the time skip even, except for the picture of Zeref. Even then the spoilers are that other dragon slayers stick around in the plot, really.

Other than maybe Gajeel's music career. That's just too good not to have, spoilers or no.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Future Rogue is either going to be sent back to the future or killed like future Lucy.

For some reason I only just realized that future Lucy was the person Jellal was chasing around the tournament.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Man, future Rogue is a real dick. At least he doesn't appear to have brought his frog cat back in time with him though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Monaghan posted:

I'm a bit surprised that rogue managed to give natsu such a one sided beatdown.

Isn't he from like 7 years in the future? That would put Natsu in essentially the same place power relationshipwise to before Ultear used her time magic to super train him.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If it was the Celestial Spirit World I don't think there'd be any real danger in having the gate be open. It's essentially just anther dimension like Edolas after all. Lucy's the one to close it because the gate seems to be based on some sort of amalgam of Zeref and Celestial magic. Basically magic gates are solidly in the wheelhouse of Celestial Mages and either Lucy or the former Saber Tooth mage are the only two present.

I do have to say that I wish Carla would either tell people about her visions of the future or just not have them. Serious cat face at developments is not very interesting and the ominous future journals of Lucy/Levey are more than enough to set the mood.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
On the one hand, there's got to be something that makes future Rogue into a total douchebag but doesn't also make current Rogue suspect. Him and Sting are all but certain to get picked up by the guild since Fairy Tail sees Dragon Slayers like Trainers see Pokemon.

On the other hand, I don't see any member of Fairy Tail, let alone Lucy, being the actual cause of something as bad as a Dragon Blitzkrieg of Fiore.

My guess is that there's a 3rd time traveler(or just Zeref or one of the rear end in a top hat Dark Guilds) who's been manipulating events so that when eclipse is opened Dragons pour out instead of time traveling back to kill Zeref or a super anti-dragon beam coming out. So while future Rogue went Highlander with the single remaining Dragon Slayer to see who got to go back in time to make sure the gate opens so the dragons are stopped, Lucy has realized the gate actually brings the dragons and is going to close it. Probably future Lucy waited too long to close the gate which both allowed the dragon horde to materialize and made it look like she short circuited the eclipse cannon.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Serious Frolicking posted:

We can assume that there will be dragons and there will be destruction, but everything else is unclear. I'm guessing that when future-Lucy did this, she didn't have her guild with her so whatever the hell she did wasn't successful. This time, she is surrounded by people who can punch their way through most situations so everything will work out all right.

In other words, all of the mysteries and plot devices aren't terribly important because the situation will be resolved via Natsu punching someone like always.

Lucy's only got the awesome power of 3 flying cats and Wendy. Natsu got beat up and Marajane is further back in the prison with the other Celestial Mage girl. Of course there is Jellal's request to the magic council guys, so who knows when that'll show up.

Actually, Celestial Mage whatshername has a sister who was taken by a Zeref cult. My guess is that sister is the one actually messing with the Eclipse plan.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

That is certainly one element of the fanservice going on this chapter. Can't wait to see if any Dragon Slayers will actually live up to their names. And what will that do to the past?

Didn't the dragons more or less disappear around 400 year ago? Guess the Eclipse plan of the future was the answer all along. It really looks like Earthland would be better off getting rid of both the Magic Council and it's governments and letting the Guilds take over. They at least seem to be competent.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Wasn't Wendy's dragon just some sort of thought projection?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So, are we going to end up with a 5 Dragonslayer Unison Raid?

Man that princess is stupid though, future Rogue is clearly not someone you can trust.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

attackbunny posted:

What are the chances that the 'favour' Gerard wanted is getting Cobra out of prison? We know he's still around because he was in the anime filler arc Mashima's canonised, and with him we've got seven dragonslayers versus seven dragons.

I always forge that Laxus is technically a dragonslayer.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SatansBestBuddy posted:

And what was that thing on the front page about "Fairy Tail Best" on every week? I thought the anime was canceled?

I think they're doing repeats Western TV style and just calling it Fairy Tail Best.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

bondster posted:

I know I shouldn't overanalzye a manga about punching dudes with fire, but Fairy Tail irks me for some reason. If future Rogue created a magic to control dragons but it doesn't on work on the only dragon available in the future, how does he know it will work on the dragons at all once he pulled them from the past? It may be a translation issue, because at least according to this one, only Acnologia is there in the future?

Isn't Acnologia actually a Dragon Slayer who killed a shitload of dragons, becoming a dragon himself? If future Rogue knows the origin, it seems reasonable to assume your dragon leash spell would work on "real" dragons even if it doesn't work on Acnologia. Maybe his dragon mentioned the concept of the spell to him when he was little and he just figured it out in the next 7 years.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Zilconis, the mighty fanservice Dragon.

After Wendy beats him he's going to end up hanging out at the Fairy Tail Guildhouse, isn't he?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I guess Natsu just needed a Mega Pervert to inspire his plan.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

attackbunny posted:

Yeah, Frogue, I know how you feel.
Hang on. Flucy knows where to put the journal because she remembers landing in a particular place back when she was Lucy. But if Flucy hadn't taken that attack of Frogue's for her, Lucy might be dead, or things could have gone differently enough that she wouldn't land in that particular place. So that would have to mean that Flucy dying for Lucy is part of the timeline that lead up to her present where Frogue rules everything. So if Flucy came back knowing what she was going to do from Lucy's perspective, then that means that everything Flucy did or Lucy is going to do isn't going to prevent Flucy's timeline.

There's got to be something I'm missing, right?

Depends upon which generalized concept of time travel you're working with. Paradoxical actions are however quite common in most time travel conceptions and effects without the cause they stem from are not at all outside the "rules".

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I know it's probably just an onomatopoeia, but I like to think Happy actually yelled drop in Natsu's entrance panel.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Chapter 333

Man, how did Future Rogue not see that coming on page 5?

Also that is a helpful timeline chart, though the answer to Jellal's question is obviously a flux capacitor.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I don't think so. There's only two time branches. Any more messing with the future like that and there'll need to be another Future Rogue or perhaps a Future Sting mucking about.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nalin posted:

The only solution is for future Jellal to fix everything.

I think you mean the only solution is for Jellal to time travel. One Jellal is not enough, but how about one present Jellal, 3 future Jellals, a past Jellal, and 3 alternate dimensional Jellals?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Holy poo poo, Grey.

But yeah, Ultear seems like the likely method of his rivival.

I assume Juvia is about to wreck some poo poo though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Ultear's time magic doesn't work on living things (I think? Wasn't this mentioned when she was in disguise on the Demon Island when she was trying to use THE MOON to melt Deliora?) so I wonder how they will bullshit Grey back to life

It works on living things. She used it on the giant tree and gave everyone a power-up with it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The set it up and more or less spelled out exactly what was going to happen, and I still laughed pretty good at destroying the nigh unbreakable gate by punching a dragon into it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Thoren posted:

I thought they were doing the whole split timestreams thing. If the recent event changes the future, then wouldn't everything else that's happening already have changed the future?

Fairy Tail just trippin all over the Paradoxes

Maybe the gate has a high concentration of chronotons and sits astride all time streams.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
New Chapter's up.

3 chapters a week for the next two weeks?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I think you're talking about Future Lucy returning to her timeline since Eclipse was destroyed. Instead of her being one of a few survivors in a wasteland she was greeted by a now alive Natsu and Happy.

And you're kind of right about Natsu, but dragon Slayers should be able to slay dragons which none of them managed to do. Even if you do count it that means the dragon slayers were 1 wins and 6 losses from the seven battles. Natsu has only so many fists. Insert Chrono Trigger 'But... the future refused to change.' ending here.

e: I just noticed future Lucy has two arms again. A happy ending after all. :shobon:

It's more like Dragonslayers went 2 and 4. Natsu beat one with his fists and one with the power of friendship/shared culinary interests.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

pointlessone posted:

Dead. Even less meaning to her sacrifice now.

How is there any less meaning to her sacrifice? The dragons got time bounced, but all the destruction and death they caused up to this point still happened. It's just that the future is no longer distopian

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

pointlessone posted:

She killed herself for a minute of reversed time, when Natsu was already in range for punching a dragon into the gate. I don't think for a second she's going to stay dead though.

She killed herself to save Gray, who still would have died without that extra minute. Natsu's fire punching of the dragon happened after that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Time only changes from the point of the dragon being punched into the gate forward. Future Lucy and Future Rogue dematerialize but their actions carried out to this point remain. The city is still wrecked, people are dead, and the mages are all beat up. Everyone who died in the attack isn't coming back and if Ultear hadn't given her life for one minute of time then Gray and several other people would still be dead.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Bernardo Orel posted:

I am also glad these three chapters got released together, because the only cool thing that happened there was in chapter 338 - Natsu crashing the castle party like a boss :black101:

There's also the part when he goes to pull out the tournament trophy and pulls out the king's crown he ganked while looking for it.

I'm still not sure how I feel about Mavis's ghost though. It seems like all she really brings to the table is a way to drop exposition in dialogue instead of monologue.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

attackbunny posted:

Is Zeref just flipping a coin to decide his morality or what?

Deciding that people are vile and must all be annihilated after an arc that just ended with everyone hugging and becoming BFFs forever does not make a lick of sense. Ninety percent of Fairy Tail villains are redeemed and all emotional problems are solved immediately with yelling. This is a very optimistic manga.

This arc is going to end with Zeref getting hugged into submission. Natsu can hug with one arm and punch with the other.

You're over complicating things. All good headbutts come when the headbuttee is wrapped up, like in a hug.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rodyle posted:

Who cares about all this plot nonsense, the best part of these recent chapters was that party (I stopped reading for like, 2 months and just remembered to catch up).

Overall I'd say the arc highlights came down to (least to greatest):

-All the dragonslayers losing the race (even when Sabretooth was still ostensibly serious)
-Laxus beating all of Raven Tail by himself
-Natsu befriending a gigantic burning skeleton dragon by chewing on him
-Wrap Party
-Erza beating all the the monsters

I'd add the fight between the dragonslayers and the final battle royal where Fairy Tail won without losing anyone.

Also anyone who doesn't think Elfman's fight is worthy of the highlight reel isn't a man.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
At this point I kind of have to wonder how it is that the Magic Council always has such a hate boner for Fairy Tail. Apparently they've been a collection of the world's greatest mages for over a century, save the world on a fairly regular basis, and all the most important people apparently were members at one point or another. Is the not-king of Edolas just pissy because Markov won't get rid of the embarrassing pictures of not-king of Edolas' initiation?

Rainbow Pony Deluxe posted:

So 341, 342, and 343 are out. I would say I read them but 341 is about as close as you can get to softcore porn in a shonen manga I think, so it might be worth skipping.

Clearly not a reader of History's Strongest Disciple.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Silver2195 posted:

It's because they cause too much property damage.

Increasing the Fiore economy through public infrastructure spending funded via the private sector. :colbert:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Fairy Tail 345

So is that like, one panel that wasn't either a gag or a set up for a gag? Hell of a joke to start out on too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Thoren posted:

Is it strange that I absolutely love this Flare chick's character?

Yeah, Lucy needs her own Juvia.

• Locked thread