Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

mikeycp posted:

I couldn't stand more than like 5 minutes of TV-N Gokaiger. Their subs are borderline unwatchable for me.

Maybe it's just me, but are their encodes poo poo or what? I felt like starting on Shinkenger again tonight, and the 'HD' versions on KRDL are loving hideous. Everything I've watched from O-T has looked way, way better.

Speaking of which, are the O-T versions of Shinkenger 1-4 better-looking? And are they actually going to do the whole series at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.

jivjov posted:

I'll have to track down exactly what I was watching, but I'm 99% sure it was something subbed by O-T that subtitled Ahim as saying "Mr. Marvelous".

Yeah cos Ahim talks so politely that she calls everyone mr. or ms, even the guy who kidnapped her for ransom.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

TheGreenAvenger posted:

Yeah cos Ahim talks so politely that she calls everyone mr. or ms, even the guy who kidnapped her for ransom.

But I prefer seeing the subs saying Marvelous-san, which matches what's coming out of her mouth. I just feel that the Japanese honorifics carry more weight and meaning than the "equivalent" titles in English.

Anywho, I don't want to start a huge derail with angst, so let's agree to disagree :)

miltennious
Jan 6, 2013

thorsilver posted:

Maybe it's just me, but are their encodes poo poo or what? I felt like starting on Shinkenger again tonight, and the 'HD' versions on KRDL are loving hideous. Everything I've watched from O-T has looked way, way better.

Speaking of which, are the O-T versions of Shinkenger 1-4 better-looking? And are they actually going to do the whole series at some point?

The difference is startling, frankly, partly because of a DVD raw source and also because of better encoding standards. TV-N's encodes are scraping the bottom of the barrel. As far as I know, they're intending on finishing it: I would assume there would be an announcement otherwise. With that group, I don't think they'd pick it up if they weren't going to finish it.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Are the 32 eps ShinkenAnon finished still on the internet?

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Dr Tran posted:

Are the 32 eps ShinkenAnon finished still on the internet?

They're on nyaa, but they only have a couple seeders per torrent.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

miltennious posted:

The difference is startling, frankly, partly because of a DVD raw source and also because of better encoding standards. TV-N's encodes are scraping the bottom of the barrel. As far as I know, they're intending on finishing it: I would assume there would be an announcement otherwise. With that group, I don't think they'd pick it up if they weren't going to finish it.

I just snagged episode 1 from O-T and you're absolutely right, the quality is significantly better. Lower res but the TV-N versions look blurry as poo poo, making the HD factor completely moot anyway.

If O-T are going to do the whole series I may as well just wait and catch up on Fourze and Wizard until they finish Shinkenger. I'd hate to get into Shinkenger only to have to eventually swap to TV-N's nonsense.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
You might be doing more catching up than just Fourze and Wizard...

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

jivjov posted:

But I prefer seeing the subs saying Marvelous-san, which matches what's coming out of her mouth. I just feel that the Japanese honorifics carry more weight and meaning than the "equivalent" titles in English.

Anywho, I don't want to start a huge derail with angst, so let's agree to disagree :)

If what you like is the honorifics, you could always get their soft-subs and edit the file beforehand. TV-N should never be someone's first choice, even if you prefer that subbing style.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Justin_Brett posted:

If what you like is the honorifics, you could always get their soft-subs and edit the file beforehand. TV-N should never be someone's first choice, even if you prefer that subbing style.

My big thing I liked about their Gokaiger subs was the fun things like the logos popping up behind the Mobirates calls. I know, it's a dumb gimmick, but I liked it.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Justin_Brett posted:

This... isn't really realistic in the least, considering that there's a whole big range of honorifics and he'd have no way of knowing who's using which honorific when without watching either TV-N's subs or listening to the raw first.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Son Ryo posted:

This... isn't really realistic in the least, considering that there's a whole big range of honorifics and he'd have no way of knowing who's using which honorific when without watching either TV-N's subs or listening to the raw first.

So... install aegisub to do your editing instead of notepad?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
But most people aren't going to want to watch something raw (or with subs but just to see what is said) and then go back and edit it again to fit their preferences for them to watch it for real.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Wanting to add honorifics into a sub is already pretty stupid, who can say what other daft ideas they have?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

jivjov posted:

I must be the only person in the universe that prefers TV Nihon's subs, at least for Gokaiger. I actually like the colored subs, and I prefer to see the honorifics in the subtitles. "Mr. Marvelous" doesn't flow as well for me as "Marvelous-san"

It somehow worked for Decade, but I don't recall many instances where TV-N just had the original Japanese with a minor note for the translation somewhere else. Decade really is a show that helps to be distracted by colored objects.

edit: http://onoretvn.tumblr.com/tagged/Kamen-Rider-Decade Definitely more than I remember.

V-Men fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Mar 31, 2013

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

jivjov posted:

I just feel that the Japanese honorifics carry more weight and meaning than the "equivalent" titles in English.

jivjov posted:

My big thing I liked about their Gokaiger subs was the fun things like the logos popping up behind the Mobirates calls. I know, it's a dumb gimmick, but I liked it.

You are on an extremely slippery slope to "TN: Keikaku = Plan" here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ActionZero posted:

On the other hand professional translators clearly agree this is the way to go!!

(Monster Hunter 3)

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

On the other hand professional translators clearly agree this is the way to go!!

(Monster Hunter 3)
Is that real? That game also used 'nakama' and provided a translation. There's no way the choice of those two words wasn't intentional. Funny, though.

I used to be in a camp similar to TVNs, though I never watched them except when they were the only option, like for Decade and a few episodes of Gokaiger before I'd become O-T loyal and would take whatever subs I could find. (Including super-literal GUIS.) I liked honorifics and leaving some Japanese words untranslated for 'cool factor.' But now I understand and appreciate what O-T does, their scripts sound like real dialogue, the kind of stuff you could adapt for a dub and people would understand it and believe it, as opposed to it being obviously someone's translation of another language.

A big offender for the latter is Bleach's dub, for example. That script reads like a TVN sub, with words like Zanpakuto and Reiatsu left untranslated for no reason beyond, I assume, lip flaps.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Is that real? That game also used 'nakama' and provided a translation. There's no way the choice of those two words wasn't intentional. Funny, though.

I used to be in a camp similar to TVNs, though I never watched them except when they were the only option, like for Decade and a few episodes of Gokaiger before I'd become O-T loyal and would take whatever subs I could find. (Including super-literal GUIS.) I liked honorifics and leaving some Japanese words untranslated for 'cool factor.' But now I understand and appreciate what O-T does, their scripts sound like real dialogue, the kind of stuff you could adapt for a dub and people would understand it and believe it, as opposed to it being obviously someone's translation of another language.

A big offender for the latter is Bleach's dub, for example. That script reads like a TVN sub, with words like Zanpakuto and Reiatsu left untranslated for no reason beyond, I assume, lip flaps.

The game was translated by the same people who did the new Fire Emblem game, which apparently had this.

VV EDIT: Yeah I can't read at all, nevermind.

Fooley fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 31, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fooley posted:

The game was translated by the same people who did the new Fire Emblem game, which apparently had this.

But that page clearly says it's from Rune Factory 3.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ActionZero posted:

As I said, I'm perfectly willing to agree to disagree. In the age of the Internet, we all can track down and watch whichever subs we want.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Isn't there a good reason to leave those untranslated though, since they're actual names or whatever? It'd be like translating katana to whatever that means. Overtime does much the same occasionally, leaving the name of Shinkenred's sword and lots of the mecha untranslated.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
Hey shut up about subs for a minute, apparently Hurricanger is getting a 10th anniversary movie!

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
I can stop this subs discussion easily enough. Behold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb32d3xr2Us

And yay for more Hurricanger :D

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Miss Kalle posted:

Hey shut up about subs for a minute, apparently Hurricanger is getting a 10th anniversary movie!
Hurricane Blue never stopped being in Toku. She was in an arc of W (The magician's assistant), Fourze (The teacher who knew kickboxing) and apparently she's going to be one of the spirit rangers in Kyoryuger as well.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Flameingblack posted:

Hurricane Blue never stopped being in Toku. She was in an arc of W (The magician's assistant), Fourze (The teacher who knew kickboxing) and apparently she's going to be one of the spirit rangers in Kyoryuger as well.
And was a supporting actress in that recent Daimajin show.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Miss Kalle posted:

Maybe it's time I dig those HK subbed DVDs out of storage and try and watch them again (No I won't the translations were worse then TVN).

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

Flameingblack posted:

Well of course she didn't, Nao Nagasawa is practically a one-woman toku machine at this point :shobon:

But it's nice to at least know what the other members of the team have been up to (although I vaguely remember some tabloid nonsense about Hurricane Red's actor being caught cheating on his girlfriend. But that's not really acting.)

VV edit; You're right, I forgot about Gokai for some dumb reason.

Miss Kalle fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 31, 2013

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Miss Kalle posted:

Well of course she didn't, Nao Nagasawa is practically a one-woman toku machine at this point :shobon:

But it's nice to at least know what the other members of the team have been up to (although I vaguely remember some tabloid nonsense about Hurricane Red's actor being caught cheating on his girlfriend. But that's not really acting.)
They were also the only team to show up together in Gokaiger, weren't they? Sans BeetleBros/Shurikenger. Not counting the Goseigers, of course.

I remember reading an article recently that said Nao may not show up in Kyoryuger after all, since she's in that Travelers movie and the new GARO. Here. I don't know how reliable the source is, but I hope she can make it. Too much Nao is not a bad thing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I can't let Scat Ultraman stand alone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tzchvLj9eM Disco Seven! Mighty Man!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

I must be the only person in the universe that prefers TV Nihon's subs, at least for Gokaiger. I actually like the colored subs, and I prefer to see the honorifics in the subtitles. "Mr. Marvelous" doesn't flow as well for me as "Marvelous-san"
Flows better, you say?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Flows better, you say?

In terms of flow, all I mentioned was the honorifics.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

In terms of flow, all I mentioned was the honorifics.
I've just been waiting so long for a good reason to post that because goddamn, even when you get past all the untranslated garbage, the lovely fonts, the dumb graphics, and even when they mishear poo poo leading to complete mistranslation, you still have objectively lovely phrasing.

How can you listen to the way that line is delivered and seriously think that translating it to be the most awkward, formal thing is even close to appropriate? It's as if they don't even listen to how things get said, or who says them. It's like they have one guy write down what he hears in phonetic english with no punctuation marks, and then they have another guy translate it literally, and then they have a third guy order the words according to English grammar except when he doesn't feel like it.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I watched a toy review for Kyoryuger, because that's the best part of sentai, and instantly fell in love. That announcer that calls out the attacks and stuff is s excited for his job.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I've just been waiting so long for a good reason to post that because goddamn, even when you get past all the untranslated garbage, the lovely fonts, the dumb graphics, and even when they mishear poo poo leading to complete mistranslation, you still have objectively lovely phrasing.

How can you listen to the way that line is delivered and seriously think that translating it to be the most awkward, formal thing is even close to appropriate? It's as if they don't even listen to how things get said, or who says them. It's like they have one guy write down what he hears in phonetic english with no punctuation marks, and then they have another guy translate it literally, and then they have a third guy order the words according to English grammar except when he doesn't feel like it.

I think the lessons we can learn from this is that there is a small group of people who would enjoy someone taking OT's more accurate translations and adding back in the honorifics while maybe doing some visual jazz to the attack names. If anyone wants to be /m/ famous or learn Aegisub, you'd probably have a small fanbase willing to gobble it up.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

HKR posted:

I think the lessons we can learn from this is that there is a small group of people who would enjoy someone taking OT's more accurate translations and adding back in the honorifics while maybe doing some visual jazz to the attack names. If anyone wants to be /m/ famous or learn Aegisub, you'd probably have a small fanbase willing to gobble it up.

Yes. That. I am the target audience for that idea.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I can't wait to see the updated credits for Akibaranger. How are they going to top the Umeko cosplay dancing from Season One?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I understand (and even, to a small extent, agree) on certain honorifics and am in full agreement with not changing whatever English words they use (GUIS in particular will translate something like "nice shot" into another phrase just, I assume, for the hell of it) but I can't fathom people wanting fancy attack fonts. Thats not in the original and just makes it hard to read. There's nothing good about a translation like that.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 1, 2013

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

I a understand (and even, to a small extent, agree) on certain honorifics and am in full agreement with not changing whatever English words they use (GUIS in particular will translate something like "nice shot" into another phrase just, I assume, for the hell of it) but I can't fathom people wanting fancy attack fonts. Thats not in the original and just makes it hard to read. There's nothing good about a translation like that.

Eh, they can be quite entertaining to watch but it's mostly a personal preference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Super Sentai newbie question.

I've just gotten to Gai/Gokai Silver's arrival in Gokaiger. His excitable puppy routine alternates between amusing and nerve-scrapingly annoying. The entire fight scenes for the episode were him tearing up the Zangyack single-handedly and then showing off his three-form mecha while everyone stood around verbally fellating him for how amazing he was.

1) Was the over the top "He's so AWESOME! :swoon:" a parody of this sort of the thing, because it felt laid on so thick but I haven't seen any other Sentai series to compare.

2) Is this going to be like Mighty Morphin Power Rangers in general where all plot and character development immediately focuses on the Sixth Ranger?

I guess I'm asking if it's a Sentai trope that the sixth member is always ridiculously powerful with their own powerset (I know, I know, the need to sell toys) and always become the focus of the show or if it's treated different by different series.

• Locked thread