Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

If I was a little girl, or creepier, I'd check out Precure. It's explosions are more colorful, but it seems like its got the heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Onore TVN Tumblr has announced that they're working on a complete retranslation of Den-O.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.

If this is just an April Fools joke I'm going to be really disappointed.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

PurplieNurplie posted:

So for someone who's interest in this genre was mainly fueled by watching Power Rangers as a kid (aka really only being exposed to the Western side of these shows,) what would be a good place to start for getting into this stuff? I won't say it looks impenetrable, but it's definitely dense, and something that would be hard to get a good foothold in without somewhere to start, at least.
It depends on what you want. If you want a really good action show, Gokaiger is the way to go. If you're looking for a drama, Shinkenger.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

If I was a little girl, or creepier, I'd check out Precure. It's explosions are more colorful, but it seems like its got the heart.

PreCure is mostly a good show that follows the Rider/Sentai formula and is most of the time aimed at girls and not creepers. DokiDoki has had some entertaining monsters so far, but has some really weird characters (like the baby and shop owner) and the main PreCure's stock attack is kind of lame. The previous season Smile was kind of slow to start in that it took a while to introduce every character, like Fourze, but it ended up being a really good show with some amazing episodes later on.

The series I got into PreCure with was HeartCatch, which sticks some of the general PreCure conventions on its side with the personalities of the main characters. Honestly before I figured that PreCure was a magical girl show like Nanoha, which I couldn't get through, which was way more focused on a male audience. PreCure has little to none of that and is just toku-style fun, just animated and with more hearts and sparkles.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you want an amazing 80s action series, Bioman is a good bet.

Kung fu related? Maskman.

Big fun adventure that's the second longest in the franchise? Changeman.

Serious but fun but pretty grim? Liveman. Dear God Liveman.

....so most/all of the Super Sentai I like was made in the 80s, what of it?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Burkion posted:

If you want an amazing 80s action series, Bioman is a good bet.

Kung fu related? Maskman.

Big fun adventure that's the second longest in the franchise? Changeman.

Serious but fun but pretty grim? Liveman. Dear God Liveman.

....so most/all of the Super Sentai I like was made in the 80s, what of it?

Though note that changeman isn't subbed (The Dead Fish subs seem to be gone from the internet).

Maskman and Bioman are currently being subbed by GUIS, which gives them a high chance of actually finishing, though Bioman is coming out at a slower pace then Maskman (And so far Maskman is far better)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/47597927/Changeman?tab=summary Here is one torrent that has the DFF episodes, and TV Nihon has the first 8.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Burkion posted:

http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/47597927/Changeman?tab=summary Here is one torrent that has the DFF episodes, and TV Nihon has the first 8.

Old torrent with no seeds (Also it's in Portuguese)

Regarding Kyoryuger The love battery was kinda lame last week but holy poo poo the fart battery makes up for it 1000x

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
........I am dumb. http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/436167233/Changeman+DFF?tab=summary Sorry about that. It has poor seeds, but it'll get done sooner or later. This is the real thing, I can vouch for that. I'll help seed if anyone wants me to.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I figured that before jumping into Gokaiger, I'd check out the sentai version of my favorite Power Rangers, RPM. Is Go-Onger anything like RPM in tone or plot?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Autumncomet posted:

I figured that before jumping into Gokaiger, I'd check out the sentai version of my favorite Power Rangers, RPM. Is Go-Onger anything like RPM in tone or plot?

I've not watched much of Go-Onger, but from what I understand, its a lot more lighthearted than RPM ended up being. (Not that RPM's "darkness" was particularly deep, but it did at least attempt to be a bit more serious than your average Power Rangers season.

But seriously, watch Gokaiger, its great in that I didn't find many (if any at all) truly bad episodes in the mix.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Autumncomet posted:

Even though there's a lot of great humor in RPM, the two series are almost polar opposites. Everything is silly as poo poo, the cars all have personalities of their own and become secondary characters, and it's just...Silly as poo poo is all I can say.

Watching Gokaiger will ruin exactly nothing on Go-Onger except the fact that....Apparently two cars made a baby car.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
Wasn't Go-Onger stupid as poo poo on purpose? I remember someone talking about Sentai being almost dead by that point, and it being a "gently caress it" series that actually ended up reviving the franchise. I wanted to watch it a while back but I don't remember there being subtitles or I gave up in favor of more modern Sentais.

VVV Oh yes I confused them. Then it is Carranger the one I wanted to watch I guess.

Markovnikov fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 2, 2013

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Markovnikov posted:

Wasn't Go-Onger stupid as poo poo on purpose? I remember someone talking about Sentai being almost dead by that point, and it being a "gently caress it" series that actually ended up reviving the franchise. I wanted to watch it a while back but I don't remember there being subtitles or I gave up in favor of more modern Sentais.

No, I'm pretty sure that's an apocryphal story tied to Carranger. I'm pretty sure Go-onger was part of the same rating slide that's affected Sentai ever since they thought they could run it against pokemon and not get murdered.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
RPM has a grimdark background but it's really a show making fun of the Power Rangers tropes and actually uses some to their advantage (I.E. the pose explosions used as a weapon, questioning why they have to yell out "RPM, GET IN GEAR" etc.)

The actors are also really great, and it would be my favorite PR of all time if they didn't pick such a horrible opening theme. I mean who rejects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddrhqFrj-Uk

and instead goes "Yeah, THIS is so much better, I will put my stamp on this"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5uBvJgNa4s

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
That rejected theme is kind of lame, but it's still better than the completely forgettable one that ended up with. The actual theme is way too "extreme" for its own good and doesn't even have lyrics.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Wrong thread...

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Tae posted:

RPM has a grimdark background but it's really a show making fun of the Power Rangers tropes and actually uses some to their advantage (I.E. the pose explosions used as a weapon, questioning why they have to yell out "RPM, GET IN GEAR" etc.)

That's like in one episode.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rei_ posted:

That's like in one episode.

At the very least, they acknowledge it. They also question why the zords have eyes and such on them (singe they were invented and built rather than being beings from another universe) and they also use the Go-Onger van for a few episodes.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
So what are the odds them continuing the tradition of dino-themed sentai having an evil-ranger?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Okay so if I don't know anything at all about most of this stuff where do I start? I really wanna watch goofy action shows and this seems like a goldmine of goofy action.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Sorry, no silly shows here. This is all super serious action combat shows.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't need to watch any toku anymore because that image clearly represents the pinnacle.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Endorph posted:

Okay so if I don't know anything at all about most of this stuff where do I start? I really wanna watch goofy action shows and this seems like a goldmine of goofy action.

If you want one dude, start here:

http://over-ti.me/releases/kamen-rider-ooo-full-series-batch/

If you want a bunch of dudes and some ladies, start here:

http://over-ti.me/releases/pirate-sentai-gokaiger-full-series-batch/

You really can't go wrong with either of those.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
I'd say you actually picked the perfect time to become interested, since the currently running Sentai show (Kyoryuger) is the loving mother load of goofy.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Endorph posted:

I don't need to watch any toku anymore because that image clearly represents the pinnacle.

404GoonNotFound posted:

I'd say you actually picked the perfect time to become interested, since the currently running Sentai show (Kyoryuger) is the loving mother load of goofy.

To wit, this week they defeated the giant monster using a fart power. The show is only just getting started.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

AzraelNewtype posted:

To wit, this week they defeated the giant monster using a fart power. The show is only just getting started.

And this was after they had a Canadian neckbeard as one of the LEGENDARY WARRIORS OF HISTORY

All credit to O-T, of course.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I just hope they don't pull a tonal shift midway through the series out of nowhere

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Gokaiger is a wonderful show to start watching Sentai with, as it gives a taste of everything that's come before it while still maintaining a good story that's the series' own. Two things that Kamen Rider Decade (The equivalent show that used the powers of the previous series) failed on. The current Sentai show Kyoruger is really fun and goofy and so far there hasn't been a whole lot to complain about. The current Kamen Rider show Wizard is also fairly heavy on the goofy fun, but I feel it kind of lagged a little before the secondary rider shows up and absolutely steals the show with his antics.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Xelkelvos posted:

I just hope they don't pull a tonal shift midway through the series out of nowhere

That would suck after two seasons of perfectly consistent tone. :colbert:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"You must bravely let one rip!"

This show knows exactly what it wants to be and it's beautiful.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And the next episode promises the most powerful dad joke in history.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Waffleman_ posted:

And the next episode promises the most powerful dad joke in history.

Words cannot express how excited I am for this. Kyoryu Blue is my favorite core team member, because he's just so chill, without making it a parody. (Cyan is my favorite hero, of all time, ever)

EDIT: I know I'm still behind the times here, but I'm getting close to end of Go-Busters, and I just have to leave this here.

Good episode all around, and one of the least pandering "Power of Friendship, let's all combine our power and win!" moments I've seen.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 2, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

jivjov posted:

Words cannot express how excited I am for this. Kyoryu Blue is my favorite core team member, because he's just so chill, without making it a parody. (Cyan is my favorite hero, of all time, ever)

Yeah, when I first read up on the Kyoryugers, I thought Ian would be the main source of comedy, being a playboy flirt. Boy, was I wrong!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, when I first read up on the Kyoryugers, I thought Ian would be the main source of comedy, being a playboy flirt. Boy, was I wrong!
Ian is this perfect balance between "what a bunch of middle-aged executives think kids think is cool" and "actually cool". Him getting in on the Dad Joke action with that "He's the King of idiots!" routine was loving amazing in a way that's completely contrary to the whole leather jacket LOVE BULLETS thing.

Also, when the gently caress did he put the flowers in their belts?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Amazing Japanese Youtube Person megaane100 brings us a magical 8-bit song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEhZjMuUpiM

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
My favorite part of the episode was the grill monster literally roasting the Rangers.

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010

Tae posted:

The actors are also really great, and it would be my favorite PR of all time if they didn't pick such a horrible opening theme. I mean who rejects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddrhqFrj-Uk

and instead goes "Yeah, THIS is so much better, I will put my stamp on this"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5uBvJgNa4s

That first video's theme is awful but still way better than the actual theme. Seriously, the fan made one sounds like it was ripped straight from 2002 but at least it is a coherent piece of music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BoutrosBoutros posted:

That first video's theme is awful but still way better than the actual theme. Seriously, the fan made one sounds like it was ripped straight from 2002 but at least it is a coherent piece of music.

The official one sounds like it's trying to emulate the earlier Power Rangers themes since those had more of a harder vibe compared to the fan made one. Yes it's still an incoherent pile but it's closer to the older themes than the other one.

• Locked thread