Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

A big offender for the latter is Bleach's dub, for example. That script reads like a TVN sub, with words like Zanpakuto and Reiatsu left untranslated for no reason beyond, I assume, lip flaps.

Isn't there a good reason to leave those untranslated though, since they're actual names or whatever? It'd be like translating katana to whatever that means. Overtime does much the same occasionally, leaving the name of Shinkenred's sword and lots of the mecha untranslated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Cliff Racer posted:

I a understand (and even, to a small extent, agree) on certain honorifics and am in full agreement with not changing whatever English words they use (GUIS in particular will translate something like "nice shot" into another phrase just, I assume, for the hell of it) but I can't fathom people wanting fancy attack fonts. Thats not in the original and just makes it hard to read. There's nothing good about a translation like that.

If it's anything like Over-time they'll translate English words or phrases because the Japanese use them to mean something somewhat different than their actual English meaning. English does the same thing, borrowing words and phrases from several different languages like French or German etc. I don't really know any examples of Japanese twisting of English off-hand, just going off what different Over-time member's have stated in various threads on /m/, but I'm sure someone here can throw some out if anyone cares.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 31, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Cliff Racer posted:

I don't care about them translating "pinch" to "lucky" or whatever but the "nice shot" example I used is one that I'm pretty sure actually came up in Zyuranger or Jetman.

What difference does the show it was used in make out of interest?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I asked what difference it makes because the way you phrased it made it seem like it made a difference what show it was done in rather than which lines it was used on. Of course the choice of line makes a difference. I've never even watched anything by GUIS to know what they're doing, I was just offering a possible explanation.

• Locked thread