Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

On the other hand professional translators clearly agree this is the way to go!!

(Monster Hunter 3)
Is that real? That game also used 'nakama' and provided a translation. There's no way the choice of those two words wasn't intentional. Funny, though.

I used to be in a camp similar to TVNs, though I never watched them except when they were the only option, like for Decade and a few episodes of Gokaiger before I'd become O-T loyal and would take whatever subs I could find. (Including super-literal GUIS.) I liked honorifics and leaving some Japanese words untranslated for 'cool factor.' But now I understand and appreciate what O-T does, their scripts sound like real dialogue, the kind of stuff you could adapt for a dub and people would understand it and believe it, as opposed to it being obviously someone's translation of another language.

A big offender for the latter is Bleach's dub, for example. That script reads like a TVN sub, with words like Zanpakuto and Reiatsu left untranslated for no reason beyond, I assume, lip flaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Miss Kalle posted:

Well of course she didn't, Nao Nagasawa is practically a one-woman toku machine at this point :shobon:

But it's nice to at least know what the other members of the team have been up to (although I vaguely remember some tabloid nonsense about Hurricane Red's actor being caught cheating on his girlfriend. But that's not really acting.)
They were also the only team to show up together in Gokaiger, weren't they? Sans BeetleBros/Shurikenger. Not counting the Goseigers, of course.

I remember reading an article recently that said Nao may not show up in Kyoryuger after all, since she's in that Travelers movie and the new GARO. Here. I don't know how reliable the source is, but I hope she can make it. Too much Nao is not a bad thing.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

TheGreenAvenger posted:

Don't forget about "sense" for style, and "ice" for ice cream or popsicles, "cherry boy" for a virginal young man, and "roadshow" for a theatrical release of a movie.

Not only that, but a lot of loanwords that sound like they come from English actually don't. For instance "sukopu" being from the Dutch schop and not the english scoop. (it actually means a shovel)
And "Arubaito" from German "Arbeit" for part-time job.

Is that what Roadshow means? That's confused the hell out of me for so long, I thought it was like a promotional tour or something.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

If I was a little girl, or creepier, I'd check out Precure. It's explosions are more colorful, but it seems like its got the heart.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Double, definitely.

Justin_Brett posted:

OOO was an interesting show to follow when it was airing, reading about the behind the scenes nonsense.
Since this came up, I gotta ask. I read online, uncited, that Ankh was intended to be the final villain, but it was changed partly because children were buying Red Core Medal sets and sending them to Toei for him. :swoon: That's the cutest drat thing I've ever heard, but I don't want to share it til I know it's true. Any clue?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

What is there to hate about a massive TRex head chasing around Shotaro like Pacman?
T-Rex may have been goofy looking but the sky battle in the second episode sold me on the show harder than any first-arc battle in a ranger or rider series yet.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

^ The Legend War begs to differ. Now that is how you open a show.
poo poo, how did I forget that? Alright, fine, but midair glider battle against a scrap metal t-Rex in the second episode is still a strong second!

I liked a lot of W's MOTWs, but OOOs had a lot of seriously weird ones due to the human faces on them. The first Yummy in particular was very odd looking. But the cast more than made up for that weakness.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk8xkwN5SU4

I AM ROBO-KNIGHT, PROTECTOR OF THE ENVIRONMENT.

Oh god, have you seen the most recent episode? They went full robot with Roboknight. You never go full robot. Some of his lines are laughably bad and make him sound incredibly dumb for a robot. And yet he is still more believable and has more range than Troy/Megaforce Red and his monotonous sameface.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Shaezerus posted:

Troy being more robotic than the actual loving robot is a thing of beauty, for sure.
He's also a little bit special. For those that haven't seen it, he clearly sees the following scene in his dreams: Roboknight saying 'Attack!' followed by the Megaforce rangers running past him to, well, attack.

Seconds later, when asked if Roboknight is fighting on their side in the dreams, he says he 'can't be sure.'

And Roboknight is supposed to be the one who doesn't understand how the world works.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

BoutrosBoutros posted:

The "charm" is entirely manufactured in your own head. They really are pretty awful if you try to watch them and separate out the nostalgia.
I don't want to suggest that my nostalgia isn't influencing me, but I have to feel like they tried harder to tie the MOTW battles to the storylines a little harder than they're doing in some of these Megaforce episodes. The episode with Creepox's defeat (which was terribly anticlimactic) featured a bullying plot that resolved itself before the battles even began, though they tried (badly) to tie it loosely to the fight right at the end. Then the Roboknight episode started with them discovering a leaking power plant, which was never again referenced after Roboknight appeared because who cared about the environment, robots!

I will say this though: I genuinely like Vrak as a villain. He's got a good level of smug and believable cunning. I may root for him a little more than the rangers sometimes, even if he is constantly swapping forms.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Justin_Brett posted:

Weren't the Yumajuu turned into Toxic Mutants or whatever? That's sort of foreshadowing.
Does it count as foreshadowing if they establish the toxic chemicals minutes before the toxic mutants appear and explain that the aforementioned chemicals turned them into said Toxic Mutants?

I guess I can forgive that if Goseiger too dropped the environmental angle as quickly tho.

Agent Rush posted:

W's monsters ranged from cool (Weather) to silly (Sweets), overall I thought they were pretty average.
Sweets had a silly design but I think the Dopant sound more than made up for it. SWEETS! :swoon:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Dr Tran posted:

Kyoryu Green is so useless and boring.
He's not as entertaining as the others but I do love his fighting style.

Box of Bunnies posted:

It's Mobirates time.
I saw this on Facebook earlier. Is this implying, do you think, that GokaiSilver will be the one to give them the Gokaiger powers? I really wonder how they're going to do this.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

jivjov posted:

Alright, I'm only 3 episodes in so far. If they start presenting him as less of an aloof rear end soon, I'll be content.

In other Shinkenger news, I really cannot decide if I like the helmets or not. The symbol-visors look too...bulbous in places, especially Yellow.

I'm a big fan of their designs, but I'll admit Yellow's is a bit wanting. I think that's just due to her Kanji being the most boring. It's just 土. Not many ways to stylize that on a helmet and make it look cool, I suppose, but the rest IMO look great.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

My opinion on Battride is that it'll be like a crossover movie. It's not something you watch because it's really great, you're only watching it to see a bunch of characters kick butt in a fantastic spectacle. Take a Sentai VS. movie. I couldn't give a poo poo about how you justify using the Edo set again, but when both teams do their roll call all together, there's nothing better.
This is the absolute truth right here. Those roll calls are the heart and soul of VS Movies. Riders don't have roll calls, but they have poses and enough signature flashiness to justify bringing them all together to raise hell through crowds of mooks.

I can only hope that I will be able to rider kick through enough Shocker grunts at once to cause such a mass of shrieking that it lags the system.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

jivjov posted:

Just watched a youtube video of all the Sentai "handoff" scenes from the end of each season, and suddenly realized that I'd really like to see the pirate theme revisited and played straight, instead of being the "base" theme in a anniversary/omega team up season.
I'll agree with this too. There were rumors going around before that the next Kamen Rider was going with a "Key" motif, and people got all heated over it copying Gokaiger. But Gokaiger only used keys, it didn't have a "Key" theme, so that was waved off by more sensible people, since Riders tend to make more use of their themes. I think the Gokaigers did well with being pirates, but I wouldn't mind another Pirate series with the emphasis on the pirates rather than on the nostalgia and transformations.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

toomanyninjas posted:

The other day I realized Nossan is probably the last time a sentai character is going to be older than I am.

Now I feel really old.

We had Blue Buster and now Nossan, you never know what the future holds!

But probably, yeah. :(:hf::( At least we'll always be younger than Ramires.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

toomanyninjas posted:

Maybe you were younger than Blue Buster...
Whoops. For some reason I had it in my head that they were the same age at 28.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

IT'S HERE! Super Best OOOs Driver announced for August! This is a must-buy for me. I loved the OOOs belt but one of the reasons, other than series preference of course, that I got the SB Double Driver over the OOOs or Fourze one is because it came with all the attachments needed to enjoy it. I couldn't imagine spending enough to get all the medals/switches that I'd want. I hope we get a Super Best Fourze Belt like this one day.

Of course, I say all this, but now I own a Gaburevolver and a Wizardriver... I only want certain rings/batteries though! I mean, not that I'd mind having them all... :ohdear:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

404GoonNotFound posted:

Xmas? Man, those things will be sold out by September.
Toku Fans are the Worst Greeed of the Greeed.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

That's about right. I can remember a lot of Dopants and Zodiarts, but few Yummies or Phantoms. The names really help, even if I did like some of the latters' designs.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

RBX posted:

How long is Wizard dull?
I've enjoyed it from episode 1, but I believe that it picks up around episode 8 or 9, when Haruto gets his first upgrade. Before that it follows a pretty simple identify enemy->solve problem->defeat enemy pattern and the characters aren't as strong as those seen in the previous Neo-Heisei series' to carry that I thought. But those episodes changed that up a little and Beast's introduction definitely stepped it up even more.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

KyoryuRed has turned the 'I'm too good"-as-a-weakness interview cop-out answer and turned it into a legitimate character flaw. That's fantastic.

Also, I watch weekly Toku with a group of 3-4 other people and there was much cheering when KyoryuDad showed up in the last episode's fan dancing montage. That's an awesome father.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

jivjov posted:

The kids dancing along have been amazing. I hope this runs the entire length of the show.
I truly hope so too, I look forward to it every episode. The kids are absolutely adorable and they're so funny to watch, especially when there's a bunch of them at different levels of skill. I've noticed the girls tend to be better than the boys! Take that, Megaforce!

Also, this is a public apology from me to Bunpachy. I thought you looked dumb as hell when I first saw you because you have a Disco ball on your head and it is silly to have that there. But then you took it off and it was a flail and you had an adorable construction worker hat underneath it and now you are my favorite. To Bunpachy!

EDIT: Also! That was totally Kazuki Yao showboating as Meetior/Nagareboshi in the newest Kyoryuger, right? I love it when he makes an appearance, he just has the best voice.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 11, 2013

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ahh, I don't follow any Twitters so I missed this joke. By the way, what's the pun being made with Nagareboushi -> Meetior? I know Nagareboshi means meteor, but I don't know what the long O does to make a Meet pun. It might be a Kanji thing, I don't know much kanji.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

AzraelNewtype posted:

There's no kanji in any of the monster names, and you're overthinking it. The long vowel in the Japanese became a long vowel in the English. I guess he could have don Metioor, but that just looks worse.

Oh, gosh. :v: It's just a changed syllable so his name isnt just a common word? I've been reading too many Assassination Classroom and Akibaranger translation notes, I guess, I expected something way more complicated or in-jokey. Thanks for clearing that up!

Edit: Also this that I missed-

Lessail posted:

I don't know, it seems pretty weak to me. I'm gonna have to assume that the real problem is that he can do things without understanding why, which allowed him to pass the spirit trial thing yet be unable to replicate it in the fight against Meetior. Grey claims to be really hard headed and so is Daigo so I don't know what's up.
I think you've got the right idea here, I just found it really amusing because I love Daigo's character. I'm sure he'll reveal some weakness that he either kept hidden or wasn't aware of next episode to overcome.

Also, this is a bit far fetched, but regarding Aigaron- Anyone else think there's a chance he'll have Daigo's father inside him the way Dogold had Utsusemimaru? I feel like him having an attachment to the stone is more than just greed or whatever. I'm not sure if they'll do the same hook again, but if so, maybe we can expect something like that from all of the commanders? Just something I was thinking about during the Deinosgrander episode.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 11, 2013

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Perigryn posted:

Bryan Cranston's come a long way since...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MQ0rDcZAtw

I AM THE ONE WHO MORPHS.

That's incredible though, I only read about his roles on PR recently when he did the AMA.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Rei_ posted:

What's more, the dude on the left is wearing the Gaimu's belt. So that's likely our guy, or a stunt actor, but someone with the same jacket shows up in another production shot.

Nice catch! I'm liking the armor and style. This new Wizard movie is the third one, counting Ultimatum and Z, right? So the first scenes with Gaimu will appear at the end?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Bestial Battery Gobusters was the best thing.

Green Hippopotamus showing up, being introduced as a romantic rival for Yellow's affections, and then immediately dying all within minutes of each other nearly killed me. Black Pyuuuuuuuma finally finished me off, with "Juice Drinker" J running between poses as the final nail in the coffin.

I can't wait for Busters VS Kyoryuger, though I'll be sad to say good bye to these characters for some time. They're my favorites.

Though I have to say that King is quickly stealing my heart. 19: Him shooting Kewtie in the face and saying "I saw you change, you know" was fantastic. He's far and away my favorite, which is hard to do when Gold and Blue are so drat awesome.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I think Kyoryuger may have my favorite main group of any Sentai.
I've only seen Gokaiger on, so my experience is limited, but I definitely agree. It's close though, because I've only seen Gokaiger and Gobusters besides it and they both had fantastic characters, but the Kyoryugers are just so incredibly fun. I have a friend who wishes it was more serious, but I have faith that the series will pull that off just as well when it comes time for it. I mean, it's Sakamoto and Sanjo. Until then, it's a hell of a fun ride.

Potsticker posted:

Continuing Kyoryu spoilers: So, with Silver and Violet both being guys, this is largest guy to girl ratio in Sentai yet. A surprise especially given Sakamoto's involvement.
This here is my only complaint. Even just one more girl would have been nice. I'm kind of hoping that Bragigas' partner will be Daigo's dad, because I'm that kind of person, but it would have been nice to get another girl too.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'm up to episode 29 of Black so far and I'm really excited about Shadowmoon. I've enjoyed the series up to this point for how fun and old school it is, but the story hasn't gone very far from the set up of the first episode, so a new development will help a lot in regaining some of the steam the endless wave of kids in need has taken away.

I will say though that Black has the single best power up episode of all time. Can't punch hard enough to beat Crab Mutant? Only the desperation of saving The Fluffiest Puppy from certain doom can bring forth that kind of strength! I've shown that scene to basically everyone now. What was that puppy even doing in the quarry, and what does Kotaro do with it afterward?! Unnecessary questions, crab battle time!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So we should be hearing more about the next rider soon? How long till we get a snippet of their main theme? Really curious if they can finally top WBX or Anything Goes.
There's been all sorts of rumors about a fruit and knife mechanic since he was first announced and there keeps being more weight thrown behind that, but I'm skeptical until it gets revealed officially. There's been a silhouette of him shown, though, together with that shot from behind.

EDIT: JEFusion article, so take from that what you will, but just so I have a source of the rumors I'm talking about : Here

A question for Ultimatum-watchers: Without spoiling the plot of the movie, can anyone tell me how much time the Double/OOOs characters get? I know it's mainly Fourze and early Wizard, and I'll be happy enough with just the Fourze, but I'm a huge Double/OOOs fan and their presence in the movie is what has me most excited. I just want to know if I should prepare for some nice but short character moments like the Double team got in Megamax, or if they're just going to show up in the suits at the end to help beat the big bad.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 20, 2013

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

HKR posted:

One character shows up out of suit towards the end and once he goes into suit he stops talking. No character moments sadly.
None of the Riders aside from the one character talk at all then? Ah~ That's a real shame. The Philip and Shotaro moments were some of my favorites in Megamax. Thanks for letting me know! I'll change my gears and look forward most to the Fourze stuff!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'll give the suit the benefit of the doubt for now as I didn't care much for the Kyoryugers when their first pics surfaced either. My main complaint is the lack of bug eyes. Wizard barely has them and they're the best part. :(

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Rei_ posted:

I loving love Gigabeetle.
Gigabeetle? I'm a couple weeks behind on Rider/Sentai, but I'm intrigued.

Also, we have a new Rider for Gaimu. Apparently there's going to be four of them? I'm... Er. Interested? To see the designs of the other two.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ohh, I gotcha. I didn't realize it was in reference to the amazing picture above until just now. These are fantastic!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

I can only hope that Gaim is an entire series of the Heaven's Tornado arc from W.

If by this you mean that every member of the cast should wear a giant Tupac shirt, then I wholeheartedly agree.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

That's awesome! Another girl and that's a great costume.

In other news, I'm at a con and I just scored Beet and Stagbuster Ranger Keys. They're candy toys, but my day is made.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

I would go if we got at least an hour at the drainage ditch.
I have no idea why but that's my favorite Toku location.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ask Me For Warez posted:

I dig the shallow urban river.
Wait. I may have gotten the drainage ditch area confused with this. The river Gentaro jumps into in Fourze 1? Because that's the place I meant. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Speaking of Shinkenger, that's my next project once I finish up KR Black. I know Overtime did some/one episode(s) and there's something called ShinkenAnon, but TV-Nihon is the only group that has the whole series subbed, right? Should I watch it half and half, or just TVN all the way through for consistency?

• Locked thread