Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Justin_Brett posted:

If what you like is the honorifics, you could always get their soft-subs and edit the file beforehand. TV-N should never be someone's first choice, even if you prefer that subbing style.

This... isn't really realistic in the least, considering that there's a whole big range of honorifics and he'd have no way of knowing who's using which honorific when without watching either TV-N's subs or listening to the raw first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Every time someone recommends Kabuto as a starting Rider show I can't help but feel the need to make sure the person being recommended stuff knows that the actual plot was a complete nightmare, and not at all indicative of the average Rider show plot. If you care about that sort of thing.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Is there any reason not to recommend Agito as a starting Rider show? It does the multiple riders thing almost as good as Kabuto (way better if you ask me, but that's neither here nor there) and besides a few references to Kuuga and that one writer's usual antics, the plot was pretty solid.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Rei_ posted:

The Kabuto Dub is actually kind of fantastic...

Gotta agree. Is this something that's actually available somewhere or was that just a fandub proof-of-concept sort of thing?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The actor who plays Shotaro's favorite Kamen Rider is Black, and he actually asks for some Black-related in-jokes that you'll see later on.

This post confused the hell out of me until I realized you meant "(The actor who plays Shotaro)'s favorite Kamen Rider" as opposed to "The actor who plays (Shotaro's favorite Kamen Rider)"

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

The Blackest Goon posted:

Decided the next KR show I'm watching is Blade.

Is there anything I should know beforehand (besides it having the most fangirl-friendly intro of the entire franchise)?

I'm pretty sure that I've been told before that TV-N's subtitles for the first half of the series don't match what's being said at all, if that's the sort of thing that bothers you.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

toomanyninjas posted:

This week I finished consuming every W-related piece of video there is and I'm looking for some Rider recommendations. I've been watching OOO on and off for a while and though I enjoy it, I can't really bring myself to binge through it like I did with W. I watched the first episode of Decade and felt kind of meh about it and I'm thinking about trying Kiva. Thoughts?

I know people talk about V3 and Amazon as good, but I think for the time being I've burned myself out on Showa-era stuff after watching lots of Battle Fever, Denjiman and Gavan/other space sheriffs. I could, however, be convinced to try Black or Black RX if enough people are positive about them.

Kiva has a bad rep but some people have liked it and it's far from the worst Kamen Rider. If you're hard up for stuff to watch it can't hurt to give it a shot.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Rei_ posted:

Keeeeeeeeeeeep telling yourself this.

Well it's nowhere near as bad as Ryuki, for one.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yes. They made an entire series about the cast suffering as much as possible.

Ryuki?

Or was that just the viewer suffering as much as possible?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Twistys Rapture posted:

There is no reason anyone should hate Tendou. Every Rider has a Mister Perfectism going on

Counterpoint: Faiz.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
I don't honestly know how I feel about Decade's driver by itself because it's hard for me to seperate that from my opinion on the Decade suit (it's so ugly and I'm really not a fan of the way it does the card gimmick -- especially since Blade did it so much better already). I don't like Decade as a character but I CAN manage to seperate that from the suit/belt; I know because as much as I hated every single character in Den-O I still think it's one of the best suits.

Now, if you want to talk about great looking belts with great voices, there's always Faiz...

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

AzraelNewtype posted:

You know how in the Gundam thread of late, people were talking about wanting to watch SEED Destiny and AGE and such, and everyone was reacting with horror? You're doing that here.

Is Kiva really regarded that poorly? I thought that moist people thought that the worst Rider shows were Decade and Hibiki.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Burkion posted:

so one thing I'm happy that Gaim abandoned, as it was ANOTHER toy gimmick that started with Double where Double also did it the best- though OOOs did an OK job at it too.

The little robot buddy helpers.

Drive has also abandoned the concept, so I'm hoping we're out of that useless accessory.

Didn't it start with Hibiki?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

mateo360 posted:

Yes but with W, Forze, and Wizard, the gimmick of the year was tied into it. The W devices had Gaia memories, the Foodroids used switches and the Summon beasts had rings placed in them somewhere.

I'm pretty sure Hibiki used the same tuning fork thing he used to transform to activate the animal discs, and the Zecters WERE the gimmick of Kabuto...

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'll do you one better. Everyone I've talked to who liked Faiz has said it was their first series. (And the effects of first-series-nostalgia are well-known.)

This is definitely true. I love Faiz, but it was also my first series.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Potsticker posted:

Removing the two episode arc structure also ended up really badly. The idea was good, but what Gaim ended up with is having plots that would meander and never really resolve. Similarly the monster suits looked good, but Gaim ended up having less than a handful for the majority of its run and only really brought them out when what would've been some great designs were relegated to being as important as the mooksuits and getting very little screentime.

I've got to disagree on this. The two episode structure didn't bother me that much for W because they actually had the detective plot stuff going on, but it really started to grind on me for OOOs, I found Fourze to be one of the worst series ever, and I couldn't even finish Wizard. It removes all question of whether or not a given monster will be sticking around, aside from a few outliers, and it made the first episode of most two-episode arcs feel *really* pointless since, again, most monsters would never be defeated the first episode they showed up. Gaim was fantastic because the plot actually got interesting again... your 'meandering' is my 'unpredictability'.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Potsticker posted:

Like I don't know what to say if knowing that the monsters are going to get beaten and the heroes will prevail dampens your enjoyment of a show.

Obviously they will eventually. But it's not like the plot of these shows is super deep, so knowing exactly WHEN they'll prevail does dampen it. One thing Gaim did well was that a lot of what would have been monster-of-the-week designs lasted for several episodes and had an actual lasting effect on the plot, instead of just being tied to 'well, we need a monster to kill for these two episodes'.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
I found Fourze pretty terrible and Meteor was the only remotely interesting character (although that meant I got to enjoy the stretch of the story that focused on Meteor, which a lot of people that do like the show didn't like...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Faiz's suits were pretty much the only thing going for it.

Faiz had a couple of interesting things plot-wise, despite all the Inoue. I still loved them treating the belt like an actual physical object instead of something characters just pull out of their rear end whenever they need to transform, complete with it getting stolen and used by other people. I would *love* if that came back more often.

• Locked thread