Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Super Sentai newbie question.

I've just gotten to Gai/Gokai Silver's arrival in Gokaiger. His excitable puppy routine alternates between amusing and nerve-scrapingly annoying. The entire fight scenes for the episode were him tearing up the Zangyack single-handedly and then showing off his three-form mecha while everyone stood around verbally fellating him for how amazing he was.

1) Was the over the top "He's so AWESOME! :swoon:" a parody of this sort of the thing, because it felt laid on so thick but I haven't seen any other Sentai series to compare.

2) Is this going to be like Mighty Morphin Power Rangers in general where all plot and character development immediately focuses on the Sixth Ranger?

I guess I'm asking if it's a Sentai trope that the sixth member is always ridiculously powerful with their own powerset (I know, I know, the need to sell toys) and always become the focus of the show or if it's treated different by different series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

PurplieNurplie posted:

So for someone who's interest in this genre was mainly fueled by watching Power Rangers as a kid (aka really only being exposed to the Western side of these shows,) what would be a good place to start for getting into this stuff? I won't say it looks impenetrable, but it's definitely dense, and something that would be hard to get a good foothold in without somewhere to start, at least.

The general recommendation I got from the thread was to start with Gokaiger. I'm coming from the same place as you (only really seen PR as a kid) and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. As it's the anniversary season, the main gimmick is that the team can transform into the other Ranger teams from every previous series. Although this sounds like it would be detrimental to someone just starting, I'm actually finding it really cool to be able to see glimpses of the other sentai teams. Seeing them in action even momentarily at least gives me an opportunity to say "Hey, that looks cool" so I know what I might want to watch when I'm done with Gokaiger.

Also the tone is lighthearted without being patronising but throws in plenty of serious moments as well, they're space pirates with cool space pirate gear and the characters are all well-defined and pretty enjoyable to watch.

tl;dr start with Gokaiger I did and it's pretty neat

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Just finished Gokaiger. That was pretty drat fantastic. I do feel that the climax of the show happened with the final duel against Basco and everything afterwards was just a very quick mop up. The final fight against Emperor Gil on the Gigant Horse also felt a little flat and underwhelming, until they took it Earthside and ran through every Sentai team throwing everything at him, that was a nice finale.

I mean hell, I barely recognise any of these teams (Zyuranger excepted for obvious reasons) apart from what I've seen/learnt through Gokaiger and it still put a massive smile on my face.

Don't know where I'll go from here, show-wise. I was trading off between Gokaiger and Kamen Rider OOO early on - definitely going to get back to OOO but I don't know whether to marathon through OOO or pick another Sentai series and take a more relaxed pace.

• Locked thread