Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
I missed Ray Fujita and his ridiculously handsome face so much :allears:

Darksaber posted:

Thanks for this. I just finished the episode and I honestly didn't know how much I missed Ray Fujita looking at apathetic at things. If there are any of the new Toku fans around I'd advise you to give Garo a try. It has its issues, but I think it has some of the best fight choreography around, especially out of suit.

Yeah, Garo was my first toku and it's a pretty good one IMO; if you have any reservations about watching grown-ups pretend to fight while wearing goofy suits, it eases you into it naturally since there's so little suit time. Although season 3's pretty much the worst place to start because it's so loving awful in the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

AzraelNewtype posted:

Was that not enough GARO franchise for you? Fine. Got you covered. You may wish to have mind altering substances in your system for this one.

Oh, awesome. I watched this a few months back with the TV-N subs and thought they surprisingly were not that bad, so I can't wait to see how much stuff they got wrong that I never noticed :v:

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Can confirm, Kamen Rider V3 is amazing as hell. The only real flaw that stood out to me a lot is its tendency to introduce recurring characters who then disappear from the rest of the series without a trace (including Riders 1 and 2, which is the most jarring one).

Hiroshi Miyauchi is great at playing smug dick protagonists though, and the series just constantly oozes charm; it's really amazing how hard they knocked it out of the park with only their second series.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Rei_ posted:

The best arc is the one with Haruto's teacher where he just straight up at the end chucks the bauble of the week on the ground and says 'IT'S JUST A THING! IT'S AN OBJECT! DESTROYING THIS WON'T PLUNGE ME INTO DESPAIR, THAT'S ASININE'

Also the Manju Arc had elements of this too, coincidentally they were both written by Riku Sanjo who should have been writing the entire show. There, I said it.

Uhh Sanjo didn't write any of Wizard, all the episodes you mentioned were written by Junko Komura

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Everyone should also watch V3 because Hiroshi Miyauchi owns. Too bad there's no subs for JAKQ and the group that picked up Gorenger after Bad Apple disappeared is... suspect at best

DICKS FOR DINNER fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 7, 2015

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
You seem like an awful pleasant guy.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Literally The Worst posted:

I actually am! I just have zero tolerance for bullshit nerd masturbation and this thread has some posters who delight in it.

Man I even agree with you about honorifics but IMO you should take it easy. A bad opinion about fansubs for a TV show aimed at kids isn't really worth getting feisty over

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Well really that's up to you, things are just generally better when everyone is chill and gets along if you ask me

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

jivjov posted:

I don't think the word "brave" is as intrinsically racially charged as certain other words...and context matters too, I can't imagine anyone (either in Japan or on TVN staff) are referencing Native American peoples.

'Brave' isn't racially charged just as a word, but when it's being used as a noun it has some pretty unfortunate racial connotations. They really should've researched it and its history before slapping it in to try and be clever but I guess if they bothered to do more than the barest minimum of effort they wouldn't be TV-Nihon

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Stallion Cabana posted:

Can I ask about GARO here?

I really want to watch Goldstorm but I also have never watched GARO before, and it seems like it has a huge amount of backlog.

Is there stuff I absolutely have to watch to understand Goldstorm?

It's a sequel to The One Who Shines in the Darkness so you'd at least want to watch that first. That said it's worth noting that people largely prefer the original Garo series and its sequels compared to The One Who Shines, so if you end up liking it, you may want to check those out too.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Blaze Dragon posted:

...and I just realized that Sanjo is literally ripping himself off. Cop Rider that has a natural immunity to the big bad's monster powers. Terui got his own series!

He's also ripping himself off with killing a main character just to bring them back in the next episode. It happened with Philip in W, Utchy in Kyoryuger and he wrote the Aries episodes of Fourze where it happened to Gentaro. And now he's probably doing it with Shinnosuke.

I love Sanjo's work but drat he really reuses his own ideas :v:

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

mikeycp posted:

Gaim was pretty alright.

I'm down with this post.

TBH I probably would've liked it more had I not seen weirdos fall all over themselves to drool over how great it was because it was written by Urobuchi

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Fourze, Gaim and Drive are all good to very good. Wizard is a hot mess, and I say that as one of the rare people to actually enjoy it.

Their associated movies are all alright, I guess? The OOO part of Movie War Core is one of my least favorite toku things ever though. Also they're all largely irrelevant to the plotline of their respective series other than the W movies.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Decade was a bad series but be fair, Masahiro Inoue is so drat good, his presence would basically improve any modern toku series. Imagine how bad Decade would be if he didn't play Tsukasa

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
The first half of Yami wo Terasu Mono was pretty bad but I don't really get the huge amount of hate people have for it and Gold Storm

Like, I wouldn't begrudge someone for choosing not to stick through the bad episodes to get to the good ones but I can't really pin down why people hate it with such a fierce passion.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Yeah Shunya Shiraishi is pretty good, can't fault him that half of Haruto's lines were some variation of "I'll be the last hope"

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
The problem I have with Phoenix getting kicked into the sun is that he was the only villain in Wizard who was even a little interesting. And he wasn't even that good, everyone else was just that bad.

LightningKimba posted:

ADMITTEDLY, I haven't seen Kuuga.

Kuuga is one of, if not the, very best Rider series of all time. Granted, if you wanted to watch it, it would be on MCS' ancient, horribly timed yellow sub releases, but it's still worth it. Everyone watch Kuuga

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

This is true, but odds are it'll still take quite a while for the v3s to come out - so if someone's looking to watch the series in full it has to come with the understanding that, unless they're really patient, they'll have to dip into the old stuff too.

Also, if anyone's planning on watching Kuuga for the first time definitely do not watch the ones with the Grongi script because all it will do is spoil plot revelations that come way later in the series.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Kuuga especially is weirdly dark for a kids' show, some of those episodes have body counts in the hundreds. It's not as explicitly violent as Amazon, but still, drat.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

AzraelNewtype posted:

Cough. Corin got real sick of waiting in the years between timing the series and that post replied to you, so he just released these, which all just work with the raws (sort of, since the only seeded raws now are 60fps, introducing occasional frame bleeding) Bunny Hat put out. As far as I know they're only retimed, no other edits, but that's like 90% of the battle to make it watchable.

Also yellow subs own.

Haha holy poo poo, that owns. Now no one has an excuse to not watch Kuuga. And yeah, yellow subs own, but they're a good shorthand for indicating that people may find something dated.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
I will sell my soul to Toei for HD Kuuga. Please do the right thing.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Isn't Imagination Station that guy who sucks at subbing but keeps changing his name to try to throw people off his trail as "that guy who can't TL worth poo poo"? Or was that another sub group?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
I love that he works under the assumption that people are watching the shows to learn Japanese, and that leaving a word completely untranslated would somehow help someone learn a language.

• Locked thread