Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
There's a US DVD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
And Dekaranger.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure Turbo is considered one of the worst if not the worst season of Power Rangers, mostly because the blue ranger is a little kid who magically becomes adult sized when he transforms.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
As long as you are open to removing "Japanese" from the definition, pretty much anything with a focus on special effects can be considered tokusatsu.

Xena and whatnot seem like they'd fit in fairly well. Also stuff like Thunderbirds and UFO.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Burkion posted:

I have, because I am the worst neckbeard, worked out how you can have all of the Rangers bar one active at the same time. MMPR, just have the original characters with maybe Aisha subbing in for Trini if they want to acknowledge her actress's death. Zeo, keep the same minus Tommy. Turbo would look to be the hardest, except the show itself gave us the best answer. Robot Turbo Rangers from Eltar. There ya go. Maybe Justin is the only human member of that team? Thus In Space falls into place and you can have your pick of Lost Galaxy Pinks.

The only one that is off about all this is Tommy, because he is the only Ranger to have more than one unique power set. Even then, in universe, he has at least one clone running around, plus he was a mad scientist for a few years, so I think that'd work itself out.

:spergin:

I am not a proud man, but I am a huge goddamn fanboy.

So if Justin is now an adult, if he uses his powers does he become a giant?

Edit: VVV To which the longterm fan response would be "...again?"

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 25, 2013

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
You should know there are some good parody videos of the OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlXhcgIfhLM

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Belt changers are best changers.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

Lemme tell about a fun show called Kamen Rider.... :v:

Yeah, that's another reason Riders are cool.

Actually can i be a real jackass and say JAKQ has the best transformation device? :v:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
http://powerrangers.wikia.com/wiki/Hiroshi_Miyauchi :colbert:

edit: this picture owns a lot

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Trill Twisty posted:

New idea: Tea sentai

Give me money toei

Dekaranger.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'll assume that Power Ranger toys are still terrible* and there is some sort of unholy abomination of a toy line where they have "Mega" mode helmets that head-flip into "Super Mega" ones. God drat those head flip toys are so bad. Just have removable helmets for gently caress's sake.

*Ever since they stopped making the Super Big Pose style figures (and also during then, really). Anything other than the full size robots, change devices/weapons, and the 8 inch rangers was a waste in my eyes.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I watched Dino Thunder with my girlfriend and we sort of started to think Tommy either was currently banging or attempting to bang both adult women in the show. It is far too easy to read weird sexual tension into his battles with the villain lady.

VVVV That would sort of explain that then if true.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 9, 2014

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'm been saying that someone should totally throw Kamen Rider onto late night Scifi channel or something for years so I'm down to see how this goes. Has there ever been a tokusatsu show aired on American TV that wasn't "adapted" in some way? Maybe in Hawaii I suppose.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah, what this children's tv show really needs is to air late at night.

I say late night because I doubt any US TV channel would give it any other slot. Basically I'd like to see a solid show get a lame slot and then be massively popular anyway because hey look, something different on TV for a change! And then we get lots of good shows and yeah this is never happening.

Obviously these shows can and do appeal to older watchers as well, so it just feels slightly possible that something like one of the more dramatic Kamen Riders or Garo or whatever could become a decent hit with adult US nerds who weren't already into the genre.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Black RX related videos??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF6z0OGNrMA

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Couldn't someone who just wants to further the progress of tokusatsu subtitles but doesn't have proper translation skills just make like timing files for free use or something? I guess that wouldn't provide enough e-peen.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Post your favorite souchaku

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJCb_4dyTiY

Gordo, obviously.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
All I want to know is if they hire Robert Baldwin to play both versions of his character.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Zeo and Turbo makes enough sense because it's still sort of the same team / continuing the same story. Insert your Ship of Theseus argument here.

edit: In my opinion the PR theme song is better as an instrumental anyway.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 8, 2014

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I remember watching some sentai crossover special and one of the support characters is all "don't worry about how that is happening it's a special!!" and then later like "I knew the robots would combine, because it's a special!!"

Dekaranger / Magiranger I think.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I've been watching Kakuranger lately and an ep I watched last night involved the white ninja lady ranger using ninja magic to turn herself into a giant hamburger as a strategy to defeat the monster. Sentai being really dumb owns basically is what I am saying.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The entire history of Kamen Rider hinges on Shocker being too dumb to brainwash their victim BEFORE giving them a powerful cyborg body. They were totally gonna do it, but last, because they are dumb.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
You could watch Ninja Storm, it's OK.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Even when I was a kid all I gave a poo poo about were the big 8 inch figures, the proper robots, and the weapons/changers. Why did they ever move away from those rad rear end 8 inch ones? They made Power Rangers stand the gently caress out in the toy isle.

I also appreciated that you could get the 8 inch rangers, some villains to fight them, and then fight them with the zords and they'd all be roughly the same scale, it was fuckin perfect!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
New transformation?

So Black RXX or something maybe?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Blade is pretty ok but it is legit difficult to tell the main riders apart early on. And I'm not just being racist, there is a Japanese-made webcomic that makes jokes of the series that even had a "welp let's just draw the card suits on our faces so we can tell each other apart" comic.

The transformations are cool, the suits are cool. The drama is alright.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Car driving karate bugmen should be called Kamen Driver :colbert:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I think a lot of the hate for TV-N would disappear if they would do softsubs so all the "haters" could just take the timing and use it as a base for their own translations. Timing is obnoxious grunt work and TV-N's timing is probably decent enough to work from.

I assume they are still doing hardsubs only, anyway, haven't bothered looking at their page in ages.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
drat, was Gridman always so obviously Ultraman?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
My favorite part of Gridman stuff is easily the sets the battles take place on. Cool rear end internet data-cities or whatever the hell it actually was. Looks rad.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
JAKQ and Kamen Rider Blade were clearly secretly financed by the playing card industry.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Can Of Worms posted:

If they somehow get Ramirez back I'll be impressed but I doubt that'll happen.

This is what I want more than anything.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
the burger and cheese is a fuckin sheriff badge holy poo poo

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Should been Kamen Pilot. But that's a pretty rad suit, other than maybe the Zyu-ish silver lips. Would use in a videogame.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Ninja and Dinosaur seasons only.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Blaze Dragon posted:

Battle Cossack

Pretty obviously a red.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'll do you one better. Everyone I've talked to who liked Faiz has said it was their first series. (And the effects of first-series-nostalgia are well-known.)

Can confirm my girlfriend 1) Likes Faiz a lot and 2) Watched it first.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
"What can we do to gently caress with Saban this year?"

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Shaezerus posted:

I sure can't wait for Takaharu to forget his teamwork lesson yet again in two episodes!

Ah, the Raphael approach to character development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Twelve by Pies posted:

"Being in a situation where I could have helped if I had powers made me realize that I'm fine with not having powers."

Man I was really hoping that his desire to be able to use ninjutsu would actually be a recurring thing in the series but nope guess it's over now.

Use the Ninja Storm method. "I can't be a ninja? Fine, I'm a samurai then."

• Locked thread