Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

I must be the only person in the universe that prefers TV Nihon's subs, at least for Gokaiger. I actually like the colored subs, and I prefer to see the honorifics in the subtitles. "Mr. Marvelous" doesn't flow as well for me as "Marvelous-san"
Flows better, you say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

In terms of flow, all I mentioned was the honorifics.
I've just been waiting so long for a good reason to post that because goddamn, even when you get past all the untranslated garbage, the lovely fonts, the dumb graphics, and even when they mishear poo poo leading to complete mistranslation, you still have objectively lovely phrasing.

How can you listen to the way that line is delivered and seriously think that translating it to be the most awkward, formal thing is even close to appropriate? It's as if they don't even listen to how things get said, or who says them. It's like they have one guy write down what he hears in phonetic english with no punctuation marks, and then they have another guy translate it literally, and then they have a third guy order the words according to English grammar except when he doesn't feel like it.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

PurplieNurplie posted:

So for someone who's interest in this genre was mainly fueled by watching Power Rangers as a kid (aka really only being exposed to the Western side of these shows,) what would be a good place to start for getting into this stuff? I won't say it looks impenetrable, but it's definitely dense, and something that would be hard to get a good foothold in without somewhere to start, at least.
It depends on what you want. If you want a really good action show, Gokaiger is the way to go. If you're looking for a drama, Shinkenger.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"You must bravely let one rip!"

This show knows exactly what it wants to be and it's beautiful.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, when I first read up on the Kyoryugers, I thought Ian would be the main source of comedy, being a playboy flirt. Boy, was I wrong!
Ian is this perfect balance between "what a bunch of middle-aged executives think kids think is cool" and "actually cool". Him getting in on the Dad Joke action with that "He's the King of idiots!" routine was loving amazing in a way that's completely contrary to the whole leather jacket LOVE BULLETS thing.

Also, when the gently caress did he put the flowers in their belts?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

V-Men posted:

I'll admit, "Count the number of your sins" is way more epic than "Count your crimes," regardless of translation accuracy.
Over-TimeW-Time had it as "Let's count up your sins." Who the hell had "Count your crimes."

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Monathin posted:

If you don't like Nobou/Kyoryublue, I have no idea why you're still watching Kyoryuger. He's pretty much the best.
"Stop spewing your asinine jokes into my world of sorrow!" :emo:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
^ The Legend War begs to differ. Now that is how you open a show.

Cliff Racer posted:

The W T-Rex? Seemed kind of samey to me, what did you like about him?
I think he was joking. W's MOTW designs were definitely weak, as were Gokaiger's and Gekiranger's (with two or three exceptions).
Though honestly, I don't expect them to put that much effort into costumes they can't make action figures out of.
I think it would be cool to see a Sentai series, maybe the 50th anniversary, where the MOTW were evil versions of the previous Reds. That could be fun.
Also, next week's Kyoryuger looks legit badass. I'm glad Torin is distinguishing himself from the majority of Sentai mentors by being not only a competent fighter, but possibly even stronger than the Rangers.
But I really do hope that this intrigue doesn't end next episode. We could use a good "evil ranger" saga.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Linkara is a loving idiot and the fact that he loves Power Rangers enough to do 90 minute videos on it but has absolutely no interest in its source material shows that.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
It's too bad that all the villains except Dogold and Chaos are completely uninteresting in every way.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I like Chaos because he cares about the villains who aren't Dogold as much as I do, which is to say, not at all.

Also, I can't believe someone had to point out the Dogold pun to me.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"Prepare your bones!"

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Goddamn that's good Kyoryuger. Exactly what Sentai should be. Hit all the right notes.

Except for that scene with Amy, because that's just loving creepy.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
We're all getting banned.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
While this isn't the Power Rangers thread, I think it should be noted that the hilarious trainwreck that is the production of Super Megaforce has prompted one of the greatest similes I've ever seen.

quote:

except they SHOULD care because if the new kids see these old actors then they will want to watch all the old shows. which mean interest in toys and other crap that Saban can sell them! its about history drat it! that's like saying nobody needs to learn about the wars of the past because they didn't live back then. its just Saban being lazy assholes who disrespect everyone involved. this is a time when both Sentai fans and Power Ranger fans and fans of both need to work together and tell Saban to stop being freaking stupid and stop this show right now because its clear they can't do it justice. I would rather my children sit down and watch the old MMPR on DVD or do a marathon on Netflix then support this era's "Saban"

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Kyoryuger continues to be an absolute joy to watch.

Edit: gently caress me, KyoryuGold's theme is goddamn amazing.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 14, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I loving love Utchy walking in with his ridiculous clothes, wearing a plastic dinosaur on his wrist, saying "I'm going to help you be a proper lady!"

Kyoryuger's greatest strength continues to be that it knows exactly what it wants to be.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So I think we're all missing the most important part of the episode.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

SpazmasterX posted:

Funfact: JDF actually did a lot of suit-work once he became the white ranger since they obviously didn't have any footage to go off of whenever he was around the Zyu suits.
I thought that that was part of Zyu2?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Burkion posted:

Sup Wes.
Christ, Wes. The past 10 years have not been kind to you.

(I'm still gonna watch the episode because Wes owns.)

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

OZC posted:

As a friend of mine said, unless they were going for a "Good god, he's old" look, it looks like they just caked powder on him, because these pics of him during the filming look like you'd expect...

So yeah, if they were trying to make him look a lot older than he should, they pulled it off. Otherwise, I don't know what the hell they did.
Please tell me the Megaforce staff is so incompetent that they actually made a guy who looks pretty good for 38 into a grandma.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This is still my favorite TV-N/Over-Time comparison.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I think I may actually like Kyoryuger's cast more than Shinkenger's. While Takeru is still my absolute favorite character in any toku (yes, I have watched W), the rest of the team paled in comparison to him outside of a few select episodes. The Kyoryuger's, on the other hand, nail being consistent in how they interact with each other without being stagnant or predictable. They just... god, I love this team.

The villains, on the other hand, are completely predictable catchphrase sprouters and they are no fun at all.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

HKR posted:

If those are the same HK subs I watched back in the day, it's almost better to watch the raws. They were really bad.
I don't know what you're talking about.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

AzraelNewtype posted:

It's barely even a thing that happens in the series itself anyway. It's a three minute epilogue tacked on fairly needlessly to the end of the final episode. The series is easily top tier without even considering that. It honestly does not matter if you know or not.
Actually Jetman's ending epilogue is by far the best part of Jetman, the moment where it reaches everything that it could possibly be. It's loving beautiful and poetic.

Modern Day Hercules posted:

They're not even recognizable as spoilers if you haven't watched those series. Shinkenger isn't going to be some mega twist at this point considering Samurai did the same thing. So that's just Jetman, and it's worth being spoiled once to get the rest of the series.
No Toku fan worth their poo poo watched more than an episode of the utter abomination that is Power Rangers Samurai.
Seriously, oh my god, how do you take one of the greatest Sentai of all time and turn it into something worse than Turbo?

TV-N is loving horrible, but the fact remains that they are the only group to fully sub Shinkenger.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 5, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cliff Racer posted:

It really isn't, alone it is nonsensical and ridiculous, being only held up by the characterization shown through the rest of the show. Off the top of my head I can pretty quickly think of five better moments in the show.
Not the whole epilogue, just Gai's part.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So is Liveman any good? Because the first episode was hilariously terrible.
Like, from the Gokaiger tribute episode, I got the impression that The Bad Guys were once friends with the heroes. But literally their first appearance is them standing up in the middle of an Exposition Lecture and saying "Helping people is dumb! We're gonna become way better at science than you because we don't care about helping people! YOU'RE ALL DUMB IDIOTS!" and then everyone is still surprised when they kill two people and get on a spaceship to Evil Lair of the Year. And I don't mean that they're surprised they had a spaceship, because I grant you that that's pretty surprising. I mean they're all "friends, why did you do this" when not five show minutes ago they had said, and I'm paraphrasing here, "Evil will always win because good is dumb." As an aside, I would think the professor they said that to would send them to the Dean or whatever, since the class was being taught at Altruistic Paradise University, which is like a liberal arts college that actually has funding and esteem.

I will say, however, that it has one of the most fantastic moments of unintentional comedy I've ever seen in Sentai. Yellow's robot, which is this huge rear end Lion shows up for the first time, and the enemy's shooting at it, and it does that cliche "running unaffected through the enemy attack" thing. But then it cuts to the cockpit and it's on fire and Yellow is screaming in panic. It honestly wouldn't be out of place in Akibaranger, if it was meant to be a joke.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 9, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Classic Twisty posted:

They literally started out as friends tho?
It doesn't matter that we're told that they're friends if we're never shown any reason that they would be friends.

I'm not asking for artistic integrity in my 25 year old Japanese toy commercials, just decent storytelling.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Though I have to say that King is quickly stealing my heart. 19: Him shooting Kewtie in the face and saying "I saw you change, you know" was fantastic. He's far and away my favorite, which is hard to do when Gold and Blue are so drat awesome.
I think Kyoryuger may have my favorite main group of any Sentai.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Kyoryuger is pahfeckt.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
With all this talk of the new Go-Busters movie owning bones I decided to give Go-Busters another shot and holy poo poo what was I thinking a year ago this is awesome.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Are scrubs any good, or are they just TV-N subtitles with readable font, translated attack names, and the baka-chan-tachi taken out? Because aren't TV-N subtitles still consistently incorrect?

In case it makes a difference, I'm asking specifically about the Go-Onger scrub, but I'm also asking in general.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Justin_Brett posted:

What I saw of that guy's stuff seemed fine.

But if you didn't like Gekiranger you probably shouldn't watch Go-onger.
It wasn't Gekiranger's humor that I didn't like, it was when it tried and failed to be serious that made me so intensely dislike it. From what I've heard about Go-Onger, it never tried to be serious.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Liar Lyre posted:

Well Akibaranger 2 is over so that should leave room for something new.
Possibly Dekaranger?
*crosses fingers for Shinkenger*

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm halfway through Go-Busters and I can't believe I didn't like this show when it was first coming out this is amazing.

Edit: Akibaranger Season 1 is a lot funnier after seeing the blatant acceleration towards the original endgame in Gobuseters 28.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 12, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Just finishing Go-Busters Returns after marathoning the series, and goddamn..

I guess, above all else, I love that Go-Busters exists, and that nothing else like it ever will again. Something that took that many risks with a notoriously formulaic franchise deserves to stand unique.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

DiscoJ posted:

Decade was a hot mess for sure. It was quite fun to watch though and it had more variety in stories and action sequences than most single shows (a benefit of the anniversary gimmick)
This was Gokaiger's strongest point by a country mile.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

I was with him in concept. On the whole, Sentai is much better at not talking down to the audience (and seems to have much better acting [but that could just be the language barrier masking bad acting]) than Power Rangers. But he completely lost me at calling Super Sentai an 'iconic artform' and 'great masterpiece', as well as going on about our 'god given right' to protest.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Sentai is not art. Shinkenger may tell a wonderful story about a young man who carries an incredible burden that makes him detached from others, self-loathing, and even wishing for death on some level. But he still transforms into an action figure using a cell phone pen.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Justin_Brett posted:

Just like people couldn't wait for the awesome American adaptation of Shinkenger, right?
Imagine if the people behind RPM had done Samurai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, the complete subs list is missing Gekiranger as done by guys who aren't TV-Nihon. What else might it be missing, does anyone know?

• Locked thread