Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

jivjov posted:

But I prefer seeing the subs saying Marvelous-san, which matches what's coming out of her mouth. I just feel that the Japanese honorifics carry more weight and meaning than the "equivalent" titles in English.

Anywho, I don't want to start a huge derail with angst, so let's agree to disagree :)

If what you like is the honorifics, you could always get their soft-subs and edit the file beforehand. TV-N should never be someone's first choice, even if you prefer that subbing style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Xelkelvos posted:

I just hope they don't pull a tonal shift midway through the series out of nowhere

That would suck after two seasons of perfectly consistent tone. :colbert:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
My favorite part of the episode was the grill monster literally roasting the Rangers.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
OOO was an interesting show to follow when it was airing, reading about the behind the scenes nonsense.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 6, 2013

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Double, definitely.

Since this came up, I gotta ask. I read online, uncited, that Ankh was intended to be the final villain, but it was changed partly because children were buying Red Core Medal sets and sending them to Toei for him. :swoon: That's the cutest drat thing I've ever heard, but I don't want to share it til I know it's true. Any clue?

Never heard that one before. I meant PutoTyRa, which was an upgrade the execs came up with at the last minute, 'cause kids love dinosaurs. Originally it was going to be a combo of all the original forms.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

HKR posted:

Those of you who dropped Wizard before Beast came on really need to pick it back up. The show has been going full pace now for the last several weeks and is getting really good.

I didn't drop it because I thought it was boring, though - I dropped it because I thought it was unoriginal and boring.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 8, 2013

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Shame that the show barely seems to want him to be on it itself. Like two arcs after he showed up Haruto gained the ability to clone himself completely three times. And that's not even his final super mode. And now he has another one lined up right after Hyper Beast debuted.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Box of Bunnies posted:

Nobuharu is the best Ranger ever :allears:

I kinda thought I'd dislike Kyoryuger, but I can't hate a show that has a character like him.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Watching this and Samurai is depressing, because they're clearly trying to recapture the old shows, but just can't go it well at all.

It's weird when you see a show that has good production values, that's worse than the show where they didn't know what the hell they were doing a lot of the time.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Flameingblack posted:

King: I'll let you two handle the complex stuff! (Refering to Ian and Souji)
Amy: You don't think of me as one of the smart ones?

At this point all King does is nod his head yes. It doesn't seem to bother Amy. :stare:

Considering she spends almost every fight in :black101: mode, it's a fair cop.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Weren't the Yumajuu turned into Toxic Mutants or whatever? That's sort of foreshadowing.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Box of Bunnies posted:

Dunno if anyone here watches Linkara's HoPR videos but Mystic Force is up nearly a year after the previous one. Dude takes 90 minutes to say what should take 20 words or less and even then doesn't reach the right conclusion, which should simply be:

"Mystic Force had a bomb-rear end theme song and the Pink was a cute butch chick. Peace out, ya'll."

I kinda gave up on him after he spent like five minutes of the SPD one to say 'they started overusing explosions in this one, it's kind of annoying'.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I have a feeling the Operation Overdrive one will be twice as painful with his 'I don't watch the Sentai' rule.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
At least you might get new traffic to your website then.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

toomanyninjas posted:

Is LowVisibility any good? I listened to one episode (about Gokaiger) and couldn't stand it, but I might have just caught them in a bad moment. I'd really like to listen to a decent sentai podcast, though.

Don't watch their episode about the second half of Gobusters if you're a fan of Kibaranger, it'll piss you off.

That episode also had one other annoying thing in it, but that's probably just personal taste.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Again, best not watch the later Gobusters episodes. They talk about stuff outside the show more than they do what's actually in it.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
There's also these guys, who do the research, but come off more as guys just watching the show.

And yeah, they're responsible for that Power Rider prank.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Yellow was a dude in Gaoranger though.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

RBX posted:

Who could not like Aigaron?

That really stings.

People who dislike innocent people being tormented by their dead loved ones.

Aigaron is a dick.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Cliff Racer posted:

Whats that, someone who's only had an intro episode and one focus episode isn't interesting yet? I find it interesting that someone has a problem with the villains too, since they have a lot more personality than a lot of the past's villains. I dunno, maybe because I've just picked a run of shows with blander villains to watch.

It's hard to come after Enter, even when they're using Bandora's shtick.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I feel like recommending Kabuto now would be painting a really inaccurate picture given what formula they've settled into.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Yeah good point, there's a ton of little eras when it comes to Sentai and Rider. If it's the multiple rider days, Kabuto probably would be your best bet.

For Showa, Stronger or maybe Skyrider?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

toomanyninjas posted:

That makes the team dynamic kind of creepy. You've got this 32-year-old family man hanging around with a 16-year-old Green and and 18-year-old Pink—he's twice the age of one of his teammates!

In Gobusters you technically had the same thing, except with a 45 year old man.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I wonder if the other actors there are wondering how much more Tommy's getting paid than them?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Podcast Sentai, Power Ra - oh wait that's taken.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

jivjov posted:

TV-N gave a direct translation, and also provided an explanation of the pun. If you're a fast reader, you can read all that in time with the episode. That said, I appreciate O-T writing English puns.

That still doesn't make it actually funny, though. You don't have to defend them on everything.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Burkion posted:

RPM, dude. RPM.

They can make it serious. It just requires a man who is not afraid to be fired and some potentially awful ideas.

They're never going to get rid of Tzachor, you might as well stop hoping. The only reason Super Megaforce is different is because that will make them more money.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I like it. That's a unique color scheme.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Fred is on posted:

Would the movie make any sense to someone who's only seen a few episodes of Go-Busters? It seems pretty great, but I'm not going to be watching the series for a while.

It doesn't really spoil anything, but it's definitely intended for people who saw the whole show. I'd leave it until you do. It's not the best showing of a lot of characters, since it's just a comedy special more or less.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The sudden silliness of the monsters after there was a train monster in like episode 4 that gathered energy by running down the track going chugga chugga chugga chugga.

Personally I thought some of Gobuster's best episodes where after the retool, and I don't even mean the finale. It really gets overblown by people.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'd like to think what they did with Enter after the halfway point was what they intended to do from the beginning, because it was one of the best aspects of the show.

And I personally don't count those Gavan episodes as part of the show, because it almost doesn't itself.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Classic Twisty posted:

Haha wow. What did you like then?

What do you mean wow? I like Kyoryuger, but it's in a league of its own even considering all Sentai have comedy in them somewhere. And Go-onger, man...

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Classic Twisty posted:

It seems fairly consistent with the entire sentai continnum. Remember! It's a children's show

How one show deals with comedy can be very different compared to another's.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
What I saw of that guy's stuff seemed fine.

But if you didn't like Gekiranger you probably shouldn't watch Go-onger.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It wasn't Gekiranger's humor that I didn't like, it was when it tried and failed to be serious that made me so intensely dislike it. From what I've heard about Go-Onger, it never tried to be serious.

You're not going to like the Wings' intro arc, then.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It wasn't so much they were serious as the show had already made fun of that kind of hard-rear end character type with Gunpei. And then those two show up and get to be played totally straight.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

TheGreenAvenger posted:

For the record, I love Wizard, though I'm aware it's not really everyone's cup of tea.

However, I must point out that the Phantoms' goal is to make more Phantoms, not kill Gates. So they're not actually trying to kill a specific person.

Well yeah, technically, but turning into a Phantom basically does kill the person. What's left is something that acts like them and looks like them, but ultimately isn't them.

It would be a really creepy concept if they did much with it.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
On one hand that guy is hilarious, but on the other Power Rangers: Spy Force is probably going to be painful for me.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Just like people couldn't wait for the awesome American adaptation of Shinkenger, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

SpazmasterX posted:

I don't know what people expected, Shinkenger was Japanese as gently caress to begin with. Even a close adaptation was gonna be pretty silly, and then they piled on the stupid FRIENDSHIP AND TEAMWORK YEAH! and ridiculous new suits specifically for megazord battles.

It being a close adaptation was pretty much the exact problem, though. People were expecting them to not do that when some members of their target audience might not know Japan exists.

• Locked thread