Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rei_ posted:

That's like in one episode.

At the very least, they acknowledge it. They also question why the zords have eyes and such on them (singe they were invented and built rather than being beings from another universe) and they also use the Go-Onger van for a few episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I just hope they don't pull a tonal shift midway through the series out of nowhere

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BoutrosBoutros posted:

That first video's theme is awful but still way better than the actual theme. Seriously, the fan made one sounds like it was ripped straight from 2002 but at least it is a coherent piece of music.

The official one sounds like it's trying to emulate the earlier Power Rangers themes since those had more of a harder vibe compared to the fan made one. Yes it's still an incoherent pile but it's closer to the older themes than the other one.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tae posted:

I really hope they just make Gia the leader of the Pirate season or something.

Well if they can find the tailors who can modify suits to their alt. gender versions, I'd totally watch that.
Bringing this up makes me wonder why there was never a Gokaiger episode where the switched with each others' Rangerkeys for some reason or another.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Given that there are likely to be 10 total rangers (like Cyan who're more or less Extra Rangers), will we see a 7th on the team?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

JT Smiley posted:

Man, I seriously can not wait to see this trainwreck in action. Combining Gosei and Gokai together would be hard enough for competent writers, I can't even imagine what the people behind Samurai bring us.

At PR level writing, it's not too hard as long as the Gosei suits are ditched. Otherwise, there'd be a lot of in suit filming done.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Burkion posted:

Techincally nothing. Just because it's amazingly low budget and very crappy and has almost no redeeming qualities, doesn't exclude it from being Toku. Often, it's the reason why it IS Toku!

Would Xena: Warrior Princess and The New Adventures of Hercules fall under the umbrella of Toku then?

Also, I'm reminded of Mystic Knights of Tir-Na-Nog which was the American attempt at a Toku. Sadly, there's apparently no releases beyond a VHS of the original.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pinwiz11 posted:

They need to save something for the movie...

Also for when the other Kyoryugers (there will be others, right? :ohdear:) appear so they have their own version of the ED

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I thought she was 16.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

toomanyninjas posted:

Well, Operation Overdrive don't get no respect, so it fits.

e: Wow, TimeRed looks old.

Time obviously wasn't good to him.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

toomanyninjas posted:

Had I written it, I would have had him pulled from various points of his timeline so he could appear as his own five-man team. Maybe they're going to have him able to use Ranger Keys to access all his old powers—I have to imagine he'll get a bigger role than some of the other cameo appearances.

I'm sure if they're using the ranger keys like in Gokaiger, then they'll do a tribute team where each one is a different ranger that he played. Except maybe Turbo Red if they're devoted to sweeping it under the rug.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

AzraelNewtype posted:

Guys.

Go-Busters Returns is amazing.

You don't even know.

If this hasn't made Go-Buster better in every way, then I don't know what will.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Apple Mummy posted:

I became a big fan of Go-Busters pretty early. I've never understood the hate. It's probably my favourite out of all the seasons I've seen so far.

This movie was really fun and unique, whereas other Toei tokusatsu movies can sometimes feel like a longer episode with more budget and sometimes a crossover.

I would watch totally watch Student Faculty Tweed-Ranger.

It is, frankly, one of the best sentai parodies done by an official sentai.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I gotta ask: the cliff set that got shown off most recently in Violet's introduction episode, what is that place's real name. Because it's beautiful and I would love to see more pictures of it, particularly ones without guys in spandex.

There should be a location tour across Japan with stops at just about every famous outdoor location with the final stop at the studios themselves.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RBX posted:

And my god is there any explanation for the poo poo tier upgrades the Buster's got? They looked like terrible Halloween costumes!

Sill better than Gokai Silver's Gold Mode :colbert:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

toomanyninjas posted:

Haha, this week's viewer-submitted Kyoryuger dancers has a great little Easter Egg at the end.

A bunch of Blustery ninja indeed...

So is Kyoryuger Violet a true 7th or an Extra Ranger? I don't believe the next episode preview showed her in it.

toomanyninjas posted:

Augh, I think I'm going to give Ultraman Ginga one more episode. It's just so plodding and slow! There was a decent development in the most recent episode, but they seriously need to ramp it up.

The character pace is a little better than Wizard, but the battle/upgrade/cool poo poo pace is suffering.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

That henshin is a bit fruity what with it falling on their head with a bit of CG spray before unfolding. And then there's Gaim's belt which looks to have a knife on it poised to cut whatever's put in front of it (like an orange).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I think the most annoying thing about Operation Overdrive is how often they did that stupid effect where there was a gigantic explosion in the background and they would zoom in on it. It was the worst thing and it always lasted about the same amount of time. They did it about 3 or 4 time in that clip. I was bored once and counted in a team-up episode and they used it roughly 45 times.

RPM did it quite a few times if I remembered correctly. They even showed how they did it in the behind the scenes episode for RPM as well.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
On the newest Kyoryuger: I now wish for each one of them to have some sort of Carnival mode (which is the best and most appropriate name for the suit upgrade) and crazy train keeps rolling.

On Wizard: Even in these final episodes do I feel the woe that is the wasted potential in this series' concept

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
This crazy train is starting to slow down a little, but it still isn't stopping.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RBX posted:

I was actually gonna get mad if this week didn't reveal something worth the build or nothing interesting happened then they surprised me and next week looks crazy enough.

One of the best things about this series is that there's always something going on that's relevant to the overall plot.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

toomanyninjas posted:

I've wondered if I were the only person who thought this was weird. I can understand when she's not there, but he does it even if she was right there for the transformation and roll call!

It's kinda weird, but Red is almost always in the spotlight more often than any of the others. Red also gets the best toys and upgrades and generally gets treated better by everyone else.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Latest episode of Kyoryuger: a Nobu episode where we learn a little more about his sister. She's as strong as her brother.
Also, don't skip the last dance during the credits sequence. :syoon:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Baofu posted:

Isn't the dude who plays Ramirez Canadian? If Nick really wanted to, I'd think they could easily get him the work visa by the time filming for Power Rangers Dino Power would start filming (government shutdown aside).

If they really wanted to, that is...

Canadians cost too much. It's cheaper to hire Kiwis.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I kinda like the rival thing going on with Black and Aigaron and I wish each of the main Kyoryugers had a rival

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TheGreenAvenger posted:

Don't forget Ucchi and Dogold.

That's really the only other one. Amy and Luckyuro is the closest any other Kyoryuger gets. If there's an episode setting up Candelira and Nossan and him being wooed by her human form before the reveal and then swearing utter revenge for toying with his innocent heart, I would be utterly satisfied.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kuso Meriken posted:

I'm in the Wizard part now and all the same feelings are coming back. I like Haruto and the fight choreography is actually pretty sweet but everything else around it is just not captivating. (And who is Poitrine...oh...what?)

My unrealistic dream is that Gentaro shows up and befriends all the Wizard characters and somehow they all instantly become incredibly likable and interesting.

And yes I'm watching this very slowly. Between having an 8 month old and work it's hard to indulge in my foreign children's programming.

Well Beast is about as close as you can get to Gentaro unfortunately. That being said, I would watch a show featuring both of them.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Just watched Wars Z with some friends and while it was overall enjoyable and a fun romp, the best part was Beet J Stag showing up to interrupt Beast and KyoryuGold's finisher. Even if the later was all sorts of broken canon, you would not have believed the cheering and applause. It was worth every second.

I'm surprised they didn't have Beet J do his thing with Beast suddenly stopping him with his "I know what you're going to say" shtick. Also, the Kyoryugers and their energy didn't really fit in with all of the despair melodrama happening. That being said, I think they had about as much presence as the Go-Busters which wasn't much at all.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

toomanyninjas posted:

But the promo for next week had them fighting some old monsters, so I guess they're going to be tracking down all the spirits that flew out away from the portal.

It also does the (typically American) cliche body switching episode as well as be a Green/Gold episode.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

AzraelNewtype posted:

So did Gokaiger all of two years ago, so it's not like it's even a stock plot that's fallen into disuse.

I had completely forgotten about that and Gokaiger was my first Sentai.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

AzraelNewtype posted:

Not any more. Fansubbing anime is mostly pretty dead; it's basically only weird niche things that don't get licensed that don't just get official streams so fast that nobody bothers. As such, you tend to just get people editing the official subs for minor things like typesetting or adding/removing honorifics. Some other minor things too, depending on the people responsible. There is still a site that does fansub rating/comparison, but it's increasingly irrelevant.

On occasion the official Subbers get things out and out wrong (the occurrences are getting progressively rarer though), so the groups that tend to do edits of those subs pick up the slack and fix those mistakes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

Certainly not trolling with such dedication behind it.

You obviously don't know how dedicated some trolls are then

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

I literally can't think of a way of when the time comes for Saban to adapt that and not have it flop miserably(because even to a big Toku fan like myself everything about this new Sentai looks lame as all hell), because there is no way he can make this one look cool at all

If the in-suit stuff doesn't click, then they'll just increase the out of suit time until whenever they need it. I doubt they'll pull and RPM and flat-out scrap the original ideal and put in a new one. They will probably handwave any of the particular silly poo poo.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

toomanyninjas posted:

Tokkyu 6 had better be caboose themed.

Japanese trains don't really have cabooses though. Being Black and Steam engine themed however would be amusing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think every one of the Main 6 Kyoryugers has a Deboss Legion member to pair up in an antagonistic relationship (with the exception of one) with the exception of Souji.

Edit: Finished watching the latest episode. It's a shame that Yuuko (Nossan's sister) didn't become a Kyoryuger, but then again she was already in a sentai previously as DekaYellow which gets a nod in this episode.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 10, 2013

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

AgentHaiTo posted:

Ok, the last Kyoruger episode was hilarious with all the costume changes. I just loved the cop stereotype versions of everyone. What was Daigo eating during that scene, it looked like a bagel and a milk box? What is that a reference too? I was thinking the detective in Lupin, but maybe that's something else.

And the school punk versions of everyone were great, except Souji who was exactly the same. Such a great joke on how he is already in a student uniform and stereotypically the straight laced good student. Just like when Shinkenger did the that movie where they changed costumes all the time, I would watch a full episode with them all like that. Is that a sentai tradition to have an episode like that for every team? I've only watched this one and Shinkenger. Started Gobusters but could not get into it, and I did not like Goseiger.

Daigo had a milk box and some kind of bread. Maybe curry bread or something. It's probably a reference, but NOT to Zenigata.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

jivjov posted:

They probably just live at the spirit base. Seems like that's where everyone hangs out for the vast majority of their free time anyway.

It's a shame they never used that house set that appeared in the ED

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dante Logos posted:

I checked real quick, since it was one of the last few episodes (45). It was mochi.

Edit: No, it looks like he used a gun mounted on his left hand to shoot mochi.

He was mochi themed so all of his shtick is themed about being sticky and growing when cooked.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

HKR posted:

It's pretty clear the reason sentai is doing bad in the ratings is because it's aired right against Pokemon. Even the subbers of the show have a hard time watching sentai live vs Pokemon.

That's been the trend at least. Once Pokemon got onto the same slot as Sentai, the ratings took a huge hit. I'd theorize the slide might have been due to the release of X/Y or something but I don't know where to look at the numbers (or tell if they're the right numbers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

I guess the Wizard of Oz motif for the villians in the series applies to more then just appearances then. The Scarecrow got a brain (Luckerio deciding to leave the Deboss legion), the Tin Man found his heart (Aigaron confessing to Candelira and attempting to atone for his actions) and I'm guessing eventually the Lion's going to find his courage and break free from Endolf's control.

And Dorthy's gonna find her way home in the arms of Nossan :3:. There's also the card suits theme running between the four as well: Aigaron is Spades, Candelira is Hearts, Luckerio is Diamonds I think and that leaves Dogold with Clubs.

• Locked thread