Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strong Style Liger
Mar 10, 2013
I started with Den-O and thought it was a fine introduction to Kamen Rider, if not Tokusatsu in general. It's pretty light early on, but the premise is a good hook. I liked the designs and they keep the upgrades coming at a good pace if that's your thing.

The biggest hang up for me was the two episode structure, but a lot of the recent series have gone that route.

That said, I feel like everybody's gateway is different. Other than knowing about the first American attempt by Saban, I discovered Den-O because I picked up a figure of Momotaros while in Korea in 2009. I liked that design
and a few years later I'm all in on Kamen Rider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Style Liger
Mar 10, 2013
I watched Den-O through TV-N before I really knew much about the wider fan subbing community. I can see how they're flawed and how people take sides, but it's really not worth going to insults over it.

Strong Style Liger
Mar 10, 2013
I'm about four episodes from finishing Kiva, and I may be in the minority, but I've enjoyed it. Unless it completely goes off the rails in the end, I think they pulled off a fairly fun and melodramatic story.

It has issues. I don't think Nago works for the most part and Kengo can't get off the screen fast enough when they use him. I wish more had been done with some of the characters like Shima and Megumi (and Jirou, Ramon and Riki). They may go a little too far with the fate idea, but I'm a big believer in the rule that you can use coincidence to raise the stakes against characters.

In the positives, Wataru has some nice progression throughout the series. The suit designs are great and I didn't feel the two episode structure was as big a burden to the story as some other series. Going back and forth from 1986 to 2008 was sort of an inspired way to keep things moving.

For full disclosure, I went through it fast. I watched a couple of episodes a day over the course of a few weeks. The Fangire plot and overall story doesn't kick in right away, so it is possible that watching on a week to week basis didn't do the show any favors.

I start W next.

Strong Style Liger fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 14, 2015

Strong Style Liger
Mar 10, 2013

Cliff Racer posted:

O-T is better than TVN, there's no denying that. However there are people in this very thread who say that you'd be better off watching raws than watching TVN for stuff that doesn't have alternate translations available. Stuff like that is simply bullshit. If you never plan on watching this stuff again (and lets be honest here, most people never rewatch a show) then you'd be far better off watching TVN and getting 98% of things translated correctly than watching raw and having to guess on everything.

This can't be emphasized enough. Every few weeks it seems people lose their minds and fill the thread with the same hyperbole about TV-Nihon, when they'd be better off going about their own business and ignoring they exist.

• Locked thread