Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
It's true! Beast was totally awesome and badass and stuff.

The rest of the last 10 episodes are... uh, well, things start actually happening, so that's something, I guess... but those things are all more of a damp firecracker than an explosion of excitement.

And the last two episodes are weird and Decade-y and can easily be skipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Solaris Knight posted:

I think one of the main issues of Wizard WAS Koyomi in that she's supposed to be his balancing force and main motive, but she has no personality or motives beyond being a literal object for Haruto and the Phantoms to lust over and/or protect. Compare that to Ankh/Phillip/Kengo and she comes up super short. We DON'T know what she wants because she was a cipher, like everyone else in Wizard. More projections and reflections then both Ryuki AND Dragon Knight.

God, this. Wizard has a lot of things that need fixing, but making Koyomi a more understandable motive for Haruto would have gone miles in making things better. He's devoted to her because he has to be, it feels like. Because that's what he does, as a Wizard. It never seemed as though he particularly loved her, just that he knew she was dependent on him and he's the kind of guy that needs to be needed.

I see Haruto more as a guy that lost all purpose in life, had no idea what to do with himself, and then along comes the White Wizard and tells him that he can be a badass hero. He seems very devoted to the idea of being a cool badass hero, when in actuality he is something of a dork and a doofus and really has no business showing off as much as he does. Which plays right into the White Wizard's hands. His devotion to Koyomi is part of playing that role that's been given to him. A better-written show would have taken time to have Haruto grow to see Koyomi as more, which would make the endgame events genuinely dramatic and painful for him. Some of it can probably be blamed on her actress having too much idol stuff to do, but it's like the writers didn't even try.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
If I'm remembering right, the overall path of Gaim Opinion went from "That suit is stupid" to "At least it's not Wizard" to "Hey this isn't too bad even if the dancing sucks" to "HEY THIS IS REALLY GREAT" to everything becoming a muddled mess right at the end that has somehow poisoned all of what came before. It's not perfect but it's better than a lot of other seasons and it's not loving Wizard oh god.

Gaim is full of missed opportunities, but at least the results were an exciting kind of mess. Wizard was just a squandered concept from start to finish, and thoroughly mediocre.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Wizard isn't so much that it's bad, it's that it's boring. Which is, technically, a kind of bad, so here we are back at the start of the argument again.

The worst part about Wizard is that it could have been really good if the people involved knew how to write conflict or Haruto was given a smidgen more personality or was allowed to fail more often or any number of things. It takes great ideas and then doesn't do anything with them. It's a lazy show. Why was it so lazy? Was everyone just having an off year? Did the budget get cut? Did everyone just not care?

Eiji was bland, but one, that was kind of the point, and two, Ankh. Ankh's relentless Ankh-ness elevated the whole thing to something really special. I kept wondering if the show would ever wuss out and make the guy genuinely good in some fashion, but nope. He was an rear end in a top hat pretty much the entire way through. And it's great.

Caphi posted:

Sometimes it looks like he's not going to win, and he gets very sad and stops trying, and one of his groupies has to tell him how great he is.

Occasionally it even looks dangerously like someone else will save the day instead!

Christ on a cracker, I will never understand why he had to keep killstealing from the guy that literally needs to eat monsters to keep on living.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Blade needs new subs/scrubs not just because the video quality of the existing ones is loving atrocious, but because there are some serious garbled plot points, at least early on. (Still not quite finished watching Blade, the big reveals towards the end also seem kind of incoherent and screwy, and I'm not sure if it's because the subs are wrong or if the reveal is incoherent and screwy.) I know that a clearer sub job would make Tachibana's deal a lot more clear, early on. Also, for the first bunch of episodes the title song's translation is so inaccurate that it might as well not be there.

Like, Blade is a good enough show that I am willing to put up with this crap. Den-O was not a good enough show for me to tolerate the multicolored Ore Sanjou crapfest that the subs were. Everyone draws their line somewhere different, and I will tolerate subs that are lacking in grace but at least try to get it right more than I'll tolerate completely loving it up or searing my eyeballs.

And sometimes I'll just suck it up and grab TV-N's version of a movie or special because Over Time may be great, but they are the pits about subbing side stuff in a timely fashion.

• Locked thread