Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The Sixth Ranger thing is sort of a staple of 90s Sentai that isn't actually being parodied THAT much in Gokaiger, although it is adhering to the formula rather exactly. Gai is actually probably the shows strongest actor though, so keep an eye on him and give him a chance.

The Sixth Ranger dynamic is so formulaic that Carranger, which airs in 1996 (Zyuranger introduced Sixth Rangers in 1992), is actually doing a very hard to ignore parody of Sixth Rangers through Signalman. In fact it's kind of hilarious. If you compare Signalman's whole shtick in his first appearance to like, GoBuster Beet and Stag from LAST years Sentai, it's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Tae posted:

RPM has a grimdark background but it's really a show making fun of the Power Rangers tropes and actually uses some to their advantage (I.E. the pose explosions used as a weapon, questioning why they have to yell out "RPM, GET IN GEAR" etc.)

That's like in one episode.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

oh god that episode was loving amazing.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The Orphenoc were really, really good looking though. Yeah they were all slate coloured, but they were all really unique designs.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The first episode of Garo: The One Who Shines the the Darkness is loving amazing.

Like, I'm loving torn, I watched the raw with the Over-Time script and I'm like, this is pretty loving good and I'd almost say like, watch it NOW that way... But if the 1080i Raws are THAT much better I can totally see it being 100% worth it because the show is visually brilliant plus there's some timing issues with the on-screen text translation and karaoke but that's nothing you really couldn't just fix yourself right now, and it's not really that big a deal.

Watch it twice!

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 10, 2013

Rei_
May 16, 2004

It's more or less a clean break for the series. Watching Garo seasons 1 and 2 might help with a bit of the world building context (AND YOU SHOULD WATCH GARO) but you should be fine, I think.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I felt the first season had a better overall story while the second season had better individual episodes. Both seasons have some pretty loving insane fight scenes though.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Has anyone subbed the Hakaider movie?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Also I thought the jaggedy bit was intentional?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Previous Garo threads haven't gone over so well, so I'm okay with just keeping it in here.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I've heard that the Decade's producer just really enjoys trolling his viewers from Lynxara off of LowVisibility.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

If you want toku podcasts, it's either LowVisibility, Henshin Justice or the occasional SU&WT Roundtable as far as i know. There's probably more. They probably suck.

HJU radio has the complete opposite problem where large chunks of the cast just sound ENTIRELY uninformed and childish. Lynxara and Matt really seem to put the effort in, and they take it seriously. I like that, I understand if you don't, but they're still probably one of the better toku podcasts out there.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Especially in terms of like, production problems. LIke I can only imagine the stories that come out of adapting Carranger into Power Rangers Turbo.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Uh yeah, Commander Odagiri is the best sixth ranger in all of Sentai, so step off on that 'technicality' biz

Rei_
May 16, 2004

better discount literally everything that happens before Den-O I guess!

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I love Utsusemimaru so much, he's just this big ol softy and I wanna hug him

Rei_
May 16, 2004

and oh my god, unless you're seventeen, and I doubt you are, it'd still be loving weird.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Toshiki Inoue has stated before that (Agito Ending Spoilers) the dog Ryo finds at the end of the show dies shortly thereafter. He REALLY wanted Gills to suffer, and if you watch a lot of his shows he sometimes tends to use a character as a punching bag to prove some weird point about the cruelty of life.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

So I just watched Kamen Rider J for the first time. Wow. That's...Amemiya man. Fuckin'...Amemiya.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The Kabuto Dub is actually kind of fantastic...

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Son Ryo posted:

Gotta agree. Is this something that's actually available somewhere or was that just a fandub proof-of-concept sort of thing?

Someone was kind enough to put the entire thing on youtube recently, you should still be able to find it.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

What's more, the dude on the left is wearing the Gaimu's belt. So that's likely our guy, or a stunt actor, but someone with the same jacket shows up in another production shot.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Decade is two shows, a really entertaining one that we rarely get to see, and a really bad one that takes up most of the screentime.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

We're actually getting a bit overdue for the reveal now I think! Gaimu filming has been spotted, but anything else you hear this point is speculation.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Yeah, guys, bandwagons aren't a good criteria by which to judge the quality of an individual project.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Also English teachers teach you how to read, but not how to use slang or hold conversations or the nuances and subtlety of everyday use of the language. The infinite variations of a language from town to town, or neighbourhood to neighbourhood in any country on earth come easy to someone who already carries an internalized understanding of that countries language. However Japanese is well, from JAPAN and just possessing a basic understanding of Japanese as a Westerner might give you literal translations of what people are saying, but something as simple as a children's riddle might as well be complete gibberish. The best way to know if you're learning a language in a meaningful way is if you're getting the jokes, because language isn't just a set of noises, it's a complex understanding of WHY what is being said is being said.

Since you're not Japanese, and you have no idea OF Japan, the best way to get the point of a joke across is to transpose the actual CONCEPT to a like concept in mainstream western culture, or at least the local culture of the translator to reduce the distance between what is being said and what is meant.

A lot of the flak TVN gets is because they tend to go for literal-as-possible translations, which honestly winds up a hell of a lot in the realm of tachi-dono-baka-whatevers because these are all very specific ideas that don't jive well with our own grammar. Some scrubs attempt to fix this without actually offering anything up as an alternative, but instead going for a literal translation of the literal translation.

This is stupid.

And also awful.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 23, 2013

Rei_
May 16, 2004

HKR posted:

That is the ugliest suit

We say this every year, except this year, and look how that turned out.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I loving love Gigabeetle.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The Rider Fruit rumours also alluded to a second Rider named Kamen Rider Banana.

So brace yourselves, kids.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Guys?

I think we're gonna be okay.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

http://youtu.be/9ueoC2AT4bY

LOCK ON!

Rei_
May 16, 2004

TOYS Y'ALL

http://herotaku.com/blog/1/1857-gaim-toy-catalogue-lock-seeds-bikes-drivers-arms-and-fruit/

Apparently they are actually working on themed-armor sets for Gaim based on the Legend Rider Lock Seeds.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Yeah, the Faiz Belts in general get passed around like fruitcake. It's kind of awful.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Probably a repurposed torture chamber, I can see Daizyujin being the kind of rear end in a top hat god who'd cram a few non-believers in there.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Eiji's a weird character because based on the early episodes, and movies that were written and filmed before the series started proper, his character was originally pitched as INCREDIBLY different than how he turns out. He improves a LOT as the show goes on.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Eiji's characterization is sort of like, (sort of long-term OOOs spoilers, character-wise) what would you actually have to do to a person to create someone whose only desire is to give everything they have to other people. Eiji has so much success with the medals because his desire is actually quite selfish, but he's selfish about being selfless, he wants to protect EVERYONE, EVER. His need creating a bottomless desire nothing can actually satisfy.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Decade actually had two stories, but they seemed more interested in telling the stupid one than the interesting one. It's a shame because the bad story they were telling required a lot of cool characters to sit on the sidelines and look concerned/bored.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Yes, okay. When? How much. What TV channel do I need to subscribe to, 60 dollars a month? Okay.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I hear it's getting better. I've decided to wait until the show's over to power through it, much like Wizard

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Ah, the donut show. Lots of tasty looking stuff on the outside, but ultimately hollow on the inside, and not good at all after the first day.

• Locked thread