Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Son Ryo posted:

This... isn't really realistic in the least, considering that there's a whole big range of honorifics and he'd have no way of knowing who's using which honorific when without watching either TV-N's subs or listening to the raw first.

So... install aegisub to do your editing instead of notepad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Wanting to add honorifics into a sub is already pretty stupid, who can say what other daft ideas they have?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

tsob posted:

I don't really know any examples of Japanese twisting of English off-hand, just going off what different Over-time member's have stated in various threads on /m/, but I'm sure someone here can throw some out if anyone cares.

Stand/sutando means lamp (as in lampstand).
Note/nooto means notebook. Yes, as in Death Notebook.
Mansion/manshon means large apartment. They have a Japanese word for actual mansions.
Salaryman is a word that Japan swears up and down is something English speakers say, despite them having made it up. It gets rendered directly at this point because we adopted it from them.

This is just off the top of my head. Rendering something out directly just because it's Engrish leads to problems. Cyan is Canadian, so his English is understandably very good, there wasn't really any need to change any of it. It's almost like context is more important than dogma.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
That'd make all the footage ugly as hell, so no.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Endorph posted:

I don't need to watch any toku anymore because that image clearly represents the pinnacle.

404GoonNotFound posted:

I'd say you actually picked the perfect time to become interested, since the currently running Sentai show (Kyoryuger) is the loving mother load of goofy.

To wit, this week they defeated the giant monster using a fart power. The show is only just getting started.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Also he's a hard boiled noirish private eye style detective (at least in his own head), not a police detective. Getting confessions in interrogations is more the latter's job.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Burkion posted:

You would be lost in life if you haven't seen Garo. Garo is loving fantastic, and is my one sole bit of proof, beyond all of the Ultraman and Kamen Rider Double, that I don't just like things from the 60s/70s/80s. You know, if you also ignore Kuuga. And Agito is fine I guess, a little too cluttered. And I'm bad at this so I'll just shut up.

:wtc: Kuuga and Agito ran January 2000 to January 2002, what does that have to do with the 60s to 80s? For that matter, what does Garo, whose first season was in 2005? Am I having a stroke, or are you? One of us needs medical attention is what I'm saying.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Oh, I read that like four times and didn't see the word just.

Off to TGD I guess.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

404GoonNotFound posted:

Hawaii fuckin' loves them some Kikaider.

This one was Media Blasters, so it's reasonably priced and had real distribution.

Of course you shouldn't buy Hakaider, because for the same price you can get Hakaider and two other Keita Amemiya films bundled. And really, who doesn't like effectively free movies? Dunno why it's Zeiram 2 and not the original, but hey, it's free.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Making one when we release, yeah. GARO got watched by a bunch of people who will never click this thread remember.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Let's try to keep this one from just being O-T staff.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

toomanyninjas posted:

Is Magiranger worth my time? I'm about to finish Shinkenger and I've already burned through Gokaiger, Jetman and Dairanger enjoying them all immensely. Despite the many and various problems with Linkara's productions I enjoy his reviews and watching the one for Mystic Force made me interested in Magiranger. That and finding out Beet Buster was one of the siblings.

What's your tolerance for this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZBsPSiS__U

If you can handle it without wanting to beat yourself, you're probably fine as it's a good series. It's just a fairly goofy series with some questionable humor. Also Mandora Boy.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

RBX posted:

I really have no idea what's going on other than a vague "They cross dimensions and do stuff, worlds get destroyed?"

Oh, so you have seen Decade then.

No, seriously, that's all anybody got out of it because they never actually explain poo poo. Some individual episodes are fine, but its own story arc is meaningless and basically stops because they run out of episodes and movies to tell it in. It's honestly just not worth the time.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

HKR posted:

Did they ever improve the audio quality? I tried listening to the first couple episodes when they came out and they were unlistenable.

Yeah, they got a real mic and stopped doing the audio via skype recordings a while ago.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

V-Men posted:

I guess because Shinkenanon has given up?

Seeing as he's working with us, gonna say that is not an accurate statement.

e:

Have you seen Gokaiger? Are you not watching GARO: The One Who Shines in the Darkness? Do you miss this Gai?

Come on over to the thread. Ep2 has just dropped, and it's still totally newbie friendly.

AzraelNewtype fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 19, 2013

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Markovnikov posted:

Hey OT guyy, I know OT is really busy what with 4 shows running at the same time, but will we eventually get those translation notes for Akibaranger? I actually liked those V:shobon:V

Yes. (Also there's at least five of us on the forums, though not all under the names you're expecting.)

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Dr Tran posted:

How is the announcer not dead yet?

Sonny Chiba's been doing this poo poo for decades, why are people still surprised?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
We have threads for both of those shows guys.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

tonberrytoby posted:

So, Akibaranger got me in the mood to watch some of those old show. I am currently watching Dairanger, and it's fun.

Afterwards I think I should watch some Kamen Raider or Ultraman. I have never seen any of either of these shows before.
Can you recommend a series I should start with?

Watch Ultraman Moebius.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Bad. We go over this basically every time it comes up, Flameingblack is basically the only person crazy enough to stick up for that atrocity. The movie's neat though, and non-canon so you can just watch it to get the good part of the show (the suits fighting) without the bad (everything else). Kind of like 555 that way.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

boom boom boom posted:

Kabuto owns, the movie is canon and clearly meant to be watched between episodes 32 and 32 of the show.

We've been over this, you're dead wrong. The movie is a complete contradiction, and in fact much more interesting than the TV series version of events.

Flameingblack posted:

/m/ recommends it a majority of the time too :colbert:

/m/ is a loving cesspool of bad taste and filth.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Guys... I don't even have the words to describe how much I love this episode of Kyoryuger. I love this show so much.

AzraelNewtype fucked around with this message at 09:19 on May 21, 2013

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

jivjov posted:

The kids dancing along have been amazing. I hope this runs the entire length of the show.

Bite your loving tongue.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

EDIT: Also! That was totally Kazuki Yao showboating as Meetior/Nagareboshi in the newest Kyoryuger, right? I love it when he makes an appearance, he just has the best voice.

Nagareboushi, but yeah. Hence https://twitter.com/overtimesubs/status/344012588327256064

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

jivjov posted:

Not a fan then? Its certainly better than movie advertisements.

I'm not a fan of all the loving work I have to do to make the 60i scrolling credits and dancing poo poo not look like butt.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Ahh, I don't follow any Twitters so I missed this joke. By the way, what's the pun being made with Nagareboushi -> Meetior? I know Nagareboshi means meteor, but I don't know what the long O does to make a Meet pun. It might be a Kanji thing, I don't know much kanji.

There's no kanji in any of the monster names, and you're overthinking it. The long vowel in the Japanese became a long vowel in the English. I guess he could have don Metioor, but that just looks worse.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

toanoradian posted:

So there was a big news from E3, the gaming convention, saying that one console defeats another. This SFW gif is about them. Can someone specify from which episode of GARO is this from?

Episode 1 of Makai Senki.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

RBX posted:

Like the Black Knight was one of her best monsters.

The best part of this is that the flashback to its previous use was just footage of Zyu, with Goushi fighting it.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Guys.

Go-Busters Returns is amazing.

You don't even know.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Xelkelvos posted:

If this hasn't made Go-Buster better in every way, then I don't know what will.

It didn't need to be made better :colbert:.

For my money, also Lynxara's since I'm quoting her exactly here, the whole thing is pretty much, "Is this what you wanted, you loving assholes? Is it really?" And it's amazing.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

toomanyninjas posted:

Go-Busters was never my favorite series, but that was a glorious piece of Sentai right there.

My only regret is that Black Puuuuuuuuuuuuummmaaaaaa didn't fight with them at the end.

I believe you mean:

Dialogue: 0,0:39:24.65,0:39:27.38,Default,,0,0,0,,Black Puuuuuumaaaaaaaa!{i counted the number of vowels exactly to what it says in the background English, please don't change this or I will be forced to kill you. Also, if you are reading this script in an attempt to complain about how we subbed this many vowels in the line for no reason, you are a terrible person and I hope the vengeful ghost of Yasuko Kobayashi will haunt you for the rest of your living days.}

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
It's barely even a thing that happens in the series itself anyway. It's a three minute epilogue tacked on fairly needlessly to the end of the final episode. The series is easily top tier without even considering that. It honestly does not matter if you know or not.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

RBX posted:

Actually later Go-Busters eps feel like a prototype kyoryuger.

Kyoryuger is shamelessly recycling plot points from Go-Busters, because nobody actually saw them the first time so nobody is going to call shenanigans. Next week's episode is going to be absurd in this category.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Black RX is also not subbed outside of a hilariously terrible hong kong knockoff, so I'm not sure why it's being recommended to a relative newcomer. Unless of course you do happen to understand Japanese.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Liar Lyre posted:

Don't forget the Saban version, Masked Rider. I watched the pilot out of curiosity and that show stinks to high heaven.

That is a completely different show that in some cases superficially resembles Black RX. It is irrelevant and you should be ashamed of talking about it as an acceptable substitute.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

HKR posted:

Specifically the OP

Garo is bad though. I've tried to like it for two and a half seasons but nope, it's bad.

Yup, the one toku that much of ADTRW watched during a well received simulwatch is just objectively bad. You caught all of us who like it, it's a years long stretch of performance art.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Daler Mehndi posted:

I eventually realized this was due to the terrible encoding job, as this is a show that deserves to be watched in high definition.

It was not filmed in high definition, so good luck with this. Sadly.

Dammit all.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Also, the season that's running right now has one common complaint: not enough in-suit fighting. Which is to say, there's dramatically less of that CG you hate so much. Also the new lead is basically as far from Kouga in temperament as you can get.

We're half way through the series now, and aside from not knowing who the Tribune are when they're namechecked in this most recent episode, I can't think of anything in particular you need to have seen the previous entires for.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Are scrubs any good, or are they just TV-N subtitles with readable font, translated attack names, and the baka-chan-tachi taken out? Because aren't TV-N subtitles still consistently incorrect?

In case it makes a difference, I'm asking specifically about the Go-Onger scrub, but I'm also asking in general.

It varies wildly. Go-onger's scrub I think is pretty much just a removal of the Japanese. Gekiranger's scrub is a removal of comprehensibility along with the Japanese, because they tried to edit and made everything worse. GARO and Agito were corrected where mistakes were obvious enough for them, and edited to read like actual English where possible.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Agent Rush posted:

I'm so glad my worries about Kyoryuger were unfounded, it's been great so far and things are looking up. I certainly wouldn't have expected them to combine space into the newest dinosaur show.

You didn't? Obviously team Over-Time did. Why else do you think we've had the Fourze based theme for so long? Everything is going according to plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Darksaber posted:

I haven't watched Fourze or O's just because I don't think I could put up with the leads for more than a few movies.

Gentaro is the best lead in the franchise.

• Locked thread