Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
http://www.jefusion.com/2013/04/metal-hero-keys-in-super-hero-taisen-z.html

I am very disappointed at the lack of a Gavan ranger key.

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
I was excited for Megaforce. I couldn't believe how bad Samurai was, but I chalked it up to the production team getting used to the property again after getting it back from Disney, so I figured MF would be a fair sight better. I couldn't even get through the first episode when I tried to watch it :( Are they adapting Goseiger as literally as they did Shinkenger? I never watched Goseiger, so I don't know.

I've been wondering if the quality means Saban might not be able get a new season produced, but maybe worrying about the quality of the show is a 30-year-old man concern that toy sales don't care about.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!
Is Magiranger worth my time? I'm about to finish Shinkenger and I've already burned through Gokaiger, Jetman and Dairanger enjoying them all immensely. Despite the many and various problems with Linkara's productions I enjoy his reviews and watching the one for Mystic Force made me interested in Magiranger. That and finding out Beet Buster was one of the siblings.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!
No worse than Uhura's fan dance! I'll get the first episode and see if I can take it.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!
Is LowVisibility any good? I listened to one episode (about Gokaiger) and couldn't stand it, but I might have just caught them in a bad moment. I'd really like to listen to a decent sentai podcast, though.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

Cliff Racer posted:

Well, I am not really a fan of Matt Comix or however he spells his name but Lynxara does know a lot more than most other English speaking toku fans and ever other podcast is far worse. I think they're okay but when they make a certain mistake it really grates on your nerves. I wonder why you didn't like their Gokaiger review, was it not praise-worthy enough?

I like Gokaiger, but it's not perfect so I wouldn't care either way; that it was the subject of this particular installment is incidental. They just sounded so pretentious—especially the woman, whose name I can't remember—like they were trying to elevate the discussion of a children's toy program to something far above its station. If they're not all like that I'll give it a try, but I don't want to get too talmudically ponderous about my spandex superhero shows.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

Rei_ posted:

If you want toku podcasts, it's either LowVisibility, Henshin Justice or the occasional SU&WT Roundtable as far as i know. There's probably more. They probably suck.

HJU radio has the complete opposite problem where large chunks of the cast just sound ENTIRELY uninformed and childish. Lynxara and Matt really seem to put the effort in, and they take it seriously. I like that, I understand if you don't, but they're still probably one of the better toku podcasts out there.

Yeah, I tried a couple of HJU's and it was great when they were talking about the show, but yeah, I completely agree with your observation. I also agree with what you say about Low Visibility's thoroughness; I guess it's more of an attitude thing I don't like. Oh well, I'LL JUST START MY OWN SENTAI PODCAST! That'll show 'em (how lame I am!).

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!
Kyoryu #10 was a lot less than I was expecting, actually.

Though Utsemimaru's little dance made me laugh even more than the samba did the first time.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!
The other day I realized Nossan is probably the last time a sentai character is going to be older than I am.

Now I feel really old.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

We had Blue Buster and now Nossan, you never know what the future holds!

But probably, yeah. :(:hf::( At least we'll always be younger than Ramires.

Maybe you were younger than Blue Buster...

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!
A full two years older! Too bad he's no longer official :cry:

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

Box of Bunnies posted:

Blue Buster's actor is a year younger than Kyoryu Blue's, but Nossan the character is apparently meant to be 32.

That makes the team dynamic kind of creepy. You've got this 32-year-old family man hanging around with a 16-year-old Green and and 18-year-old Pink—he's twice the age of one of his teammates!

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

HKR posted:

It's a working relationship. Haven't you ever worked with someone much older/younger then you?

I guess when you put it that way it makes more sense. I don't really care as much as it sounded like I did, though -- this show is too fun to nitpick things.

I wish they'd done an ending dance with Ramirez included.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

Box of Bunnies posted:

I would be surprised if we don't get a full complement of ten by the end of the series considering there are that many main Voltasaurs, even if the last three are just cameo-having spirit warriors like Ramirez.

Well, we're at least supposed to get Kyoryu Grey sometime in the next month or so once they get Bunpachy.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

Modern Day Hercules posted:

The actress for Yumeria isn't much older, even though she's supposed to be 24 or something in the show.

edit: nm, her birthday's in October, so she's still 17.

toomanyninjas fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 9, 2013

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

HKR posted:

This is one of the greatest videos on the internet.

Call and raise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0nevd7GSKc

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!
Does anyone have/know where I can find a decent mp3 of the Kyoryuger henshin music? Google's not doing me any favors and I'm trying to find it, loop it and make it my ringtone.

Hear my roar! Keitai no yuusha!

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!
This song goes through my head every time he makes an appearance.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!
I was going to post something about the Green Ranger's powers being destroyed and it making more sense for him to morph into literally any of his other ranger powers, but then I thought better of being That Neckbeard.

Edit: At least it looks like they gave him the real shield this time instead of a cruddy fabric knockoff—that always bugged me as a kid.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!
A commenter on Jefusion wondered if TJ is going to be Blue Space and Tommy is MMPR Green, then who was the Red Turbo running around in Legend War dreams.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

Burkion posted:

he has at least one clone running around

OH SNAP.

I forgot about his clone in the 18th century. I think the Green Ranger powers were somehow reactivated for him, iirc. Well, that settles it—this guy is the clone Tommy and the Red TimeForce ranger brought him back from (California?!) Colonial Times.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

Waffleman_ posted:

Wait a minute. Is Bouken Red played by Rodney Dangerfield?

Well, Operation Overdrive don't get no respect, so it fits.

e: Wow, TimeRed looks old.

toomanyninjas fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 26, 2013

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!
Had I written it, I would have had him pulled from various points of his timeline so he could appear as his own five-man team. Maybe they're going to have him able to use Ranger Keys to access all his old powers—I have to imagine he'll get a bigger role than some of the other cameo appearances.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!
Go-Busters was never my favorite series, but that was a glorious piece of Sentai right there.

My only regret is that Black Puuuuuuuuuuuuummmaaaaaa didn't fight with them at the end.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

Brother Entropy posted:

Spoilers for next week: He doesn't just have a revolver, he's the dude who made the revolvers. He's also being played by Sonny Chiba which means Kyoryu Violet used his own voice for the revolver noises. :haw:

Shigeru Chiba, not Sonny Chiba.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shigeru_Chiba

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Chiba

I'm also going to bet that his granddaughter takes over for him as KyoryuViolet since the promotional materials say he's coming back to Earth to retire.

toomanyninjas fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 10, 2013

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

HKR posted:

Also anyone doing Ultraman Ginga? First episode has a raw out and I might be slightly interested in it.

I poked around OT's site yesterday seeing if I could find a mention, but I guess they're still recovering from the Spring From Hell and aren't eager to start doing another series. OT guy, please prove me wrong.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

Ignis posted:

Not the same OT guy you were thinking of, but I wrote this for you.

Thanks! I just wanted to know whether to wait or go looking elsewhere. I really appreciate all you guys do.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!
I enjoy the Space Sheriffs, so I thought I'd try another Metal Hero series to see if I would enjoy more. I'd only seen bits and pieces of Juuko B-Fighter and wasn't immediately impressed so instead I watched the first episode of Juspion. It was so awful!

:( I guess Metal Heroes are all dead to me now.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

Burkion posted:

Track down Metalder.

It is amazing.

Just finished the first episode -- awesome; I was surprised how serious and sensible the villain's plot is. I don't remember a whole lot of VR Troopers from my mornings before school, but this looks like it'll nicely wash its taste out of my mouth (or at least half of it).

Most likely I wouldn't have tried this out on my own. Thanks for the recommendation.

Now if someone would just sub the rest of Gavan so I can upgrade from the horrible HK subs.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

Dr Tran posted:

This has to be a record for longest solo henshin sequence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DDQ_bggqSg

I knew I was going to love this character from the moment I saw him in the toy catalog images.

edit: OK, I just watched the whole episode. This could be the greatest episode of Kyoryuger ever.

toomanyninjas fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 15, 2013

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

jivjov posted:

It really bugs me that his outfit is so unique compared to the rest of the team. If rangers 6-10 all had custom suits, I'd be okay with it, but he stands apart way too much.

Well, he is the only one who can fly, so the wing addition on his suit makes sense to me. At least that's how I've rationalized it to myself.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

DiscoJ posted:

I think I've said in his thread before but the best advice is to go with whatever looks good and sounds interesting to you.

I started with Fourze because of this reasoning and I have no regrets. It was hokey at times, but so enjoyable.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!
I'm curious how much new suit footage they're shooting for Megaforce. Gokaiger was pretty heavy on gunplay and I don't know how well that's going to go over here. Same for Kyoryuger and the Gaburivolvers.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

jivjov posted:

I'm just waiting to see how they're going to explain the black Megaforce ranger getting a green Pirate suit.

That does assume they use the pirate stuff as upgrades, rather than outright replacing the gosei suits.

From everything I've read it sure sounds like the latter. At this point Power Rangers is a fairly hilarious exercise in bad writing and worse acting, so I'm genuinely eager to see how hosed up it gets.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!
<----- After eight years I've finally found a reason to change my avatar from a bad blaxploitation reference!

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!
If only they'd make Dobutsu Sentai Go-Busters Vs. Kyoryuger. That would certainly be worth watching: 10 Kyoryugers and and 7.5 Go-Busters.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!
I was finally bitten by the Expensively Cheap Bug and started shopping around for a Gaburevolver and some batteries. I found this on eBay, which leaves me with little hope for the next generation of Chinese grifters. At least make sure you've got all the right guys on there!

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

Rei_ posted:

Guys?

I think we're gonna be okay.

And suddenly Fourze becomes regarded as a serious, even somber entry in the franchise.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

OZC posted:

If you mean the fact that MagiRed is on there, that's fairly typical now, since there are Legend Sentai batteries in the gashapon line along with the regular ones, and that particular gashapon set has a MagiRed Legend Sentai battery, hence his apperance on the booklet.

Seriously? I never would have expected this to be a legitimate product. It seems weird to me since I would have continued thinking it was bootleg and not bought it if you hadn't said otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!
Huzzah!

I hope Doctor Ulshade stays on as a technician and advisor. He's too awesome to go away.

• Locked thread