Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I'm working on a program that downloads approach plates. Ideally, it makes downloading new versions each month hassle free - open program, press Download, print a single PDF. Allows you to save selections, and avoid navigating the FAA's site. Checks latest plate version automatically.

I personally find it useful, but don't know if others would.

Some questions:
Do you print your most-used plates, or just use the books?
Does this seem faster than using the FAA website? Enough to make it worthwhile?
Bugs / suggestions / feature requests? Plate you use not working?

Open-source. I'm going to try to add a feature to print directly from the program, saving a step.

Windows Download

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

This is pretty sweet. I use fltplan.com's mobile app, but this lets me pre-load stuff instead of using their somewhat confusing interface.
Has it been working out ok? Any plates you use it couldn't find?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

New version of the approach plate downloader: Link (Windows)

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 1, 2013

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Do you dudes know how to find exact coordinates for UK IFR waypoints? Ie triangles on charts. I can find lots of info online about airfields and navaids, but not waypoints. Skyvector finds them, but can't give exact coordinages. For example, ROVUS. I found this and thisbut they seem incomplete.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Nov 16, 2013

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Rank Bajin posted:

You should be able to find details of all significant points in ENR 4.4 of the UK AIP.
Thanks; this is what I'm looking for.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I'm thinking about making a webapp that allows users to enter their flight plan, then automatically shows the most suitable divert fields based on criteria like services and runway length. Might draw the route with diverts on Gmaps too.

What's the best way to get this info? Ideally global, but US-only's fine for now. I'd need lat/lon for every navaid, and detailed info for each airfield. The FAA has an API that seems idea for this, but it (currently?) only shows basic airfield information and weather. It has a link to NFDC that has the data I'm looking for, but it's in a readable-website format, not a developer API. I could probably find a way to pull the data from it, but this isn't ideal.

I found a spreadsheet of UK Navaids with coordinates once. Something like that would help.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Can't find the CSVs. It looks like you can download the data in a single zip valid for 56 days here.

Data's available in (improper UTF-8 encoded?) .txt files, and XML_based files called AIXM. I think the XML in these files may be what I need. It looks like I can also view it graphically in software called ATM viewer.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 30, 2014

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

CharlesM posted:

Are there liability concerns for such an application?

Let's make the world a better place. Lawyers can go gently caress themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Dominoes posted:

Can't find the CSVs. It looks like you can download the data in a single zip valid for 56 days here.

Data's available in (improper UTF-8 encoded?) .txt files, and XML_based files called AIXM. I think the XML in these files may be what I need. It looks like I can also view it graphically in software called ATM viewer.
I found all the info for the US I needed from the FAA NFDC AIXMs. I'd like to get this working for the UK too - does anyone know of an equivalent data set for the UK, preferably in the same AIXM format?

For ref, the AIXMs are huge XML files updated every 56 days by the FAA. They include very detailed information on all FAA-controlled navaids, airports/heliports, runways, fixes, airways etc.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 12, 2014

• Locked thread