Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
I very much enjoy DCC RPG, but it sure is a grognard magnet.

quote:

Does anyone have any insight or suggestions for dealing with problem players? By "problem," I mean just the sort of general malaise / lack of creativity that comes of playing MMORPGs for years and 3.x or 4E D&D. I've got a player in my game that constantly refers to his character as the "tank" (he's playing a dwarf), and always acts generally, i.e. "I search the room." "Is there any gear here for a tank?" "Is that something my <x> would want?" He never does anything with mighty deeds other than maybe a trip or a head shot, rarely a "knock this guy into that guy" type of maneuver. He's a fine guy he's just a terrible (IMO) player. I'm not sure how to break him of his bad habits, and would like some help or suggestions for things to try to do so. My problem with it is, it kind of saps my enjoyment of the game some... I mean, I run the game firstly for my players to have fun, so I feel pulled in the sort of less imaginative direction. It also tends to degrade the creativity around the table. I think some of the other players tend to drift away from interesting or creative role playing and towards the bad habits of MMORPGs or 3.x/4E (except for one guy, who's never played MMORPGs or 4E, just a bit of 3.x with me).

Like I said, I want to lead the group in a good direction. I'd wanted to TPK them so they could start over again, since we've been playing for a while and now have a better handle on the rules and mechanics, but nobody was into just willingly starting over, heh. Anyone know of any treatises written by the experienced on this topic?

quote:

I often will tell a player who just rolled a great roll and who tells me "Hit with a 19!" It didn't hit unless you can impress me with the description! Then I normally get a awesome long description worthy of a movie scene!

As far as the whole Tank issue goes,for the most part just realize that is the background he is coming from. Until he gets a lot more experiences under his belt that's the tool set he is working with. At most my advice on that is don't reward it. If he says "Any Tank gear in this stuff" Reply "Nope" Then proceed to tell another player about the awesome shiny plate mail the bag of coins is partially under.

quote:

I once was given 2 free levels in a 2nd Ed. AD&D game when I attacked a player in-game who was a pretty notorious cheater (she rolled dice in a little open box thing and always grabbed them up quickly after announcing "17!" or whatever). She packed up and left after my dwarf with a mace of disruption attacked her character that had willingly turned into a vampire and was then plaguing the party semi-secretly. She never came back.

It's an amusing story I guess but I'm less proud of it now that I'm older, in that I'd rather lead folks to change, than beat them into submission. Still, sometimes a beating (or five) is necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

quote:

Where is D&D going? To hell in a handbasket since 2000. I figure this is likely it's swan song at this point. Wotc hasn't produced one version of this game that could hold my intrest in 13 years. The only thing this company has ever done for me is relent on their anti TSR version montra and produce reprints and pdf's. ( This is the only current D&D making money for them). This company divided it's fans, throws them away every 5-8 years, and believes legacy players like myself are going to buy their wana be retro 3.5 game just because it's labeled "Next". It's laughable.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

quote:

Appeal to Authority, then? Instead of judging the rules on their own merits, you appeal to Word of God. While we're talking tropes, though, are you familiar with Death of the Author?

To sum it up for anyone not following along at home, there are two games in question whenever you mention Gygax: there's the game he intended, and the game he wrote. It should be pretty clear from anyone who's read his various articles and opinions over the years that the rules of the game are supposed to enforce the tropes of fantasy fiction.

My favorite example is when the hero is chained to a wall, but still gets to save against dragon breath. According to Gygax, it would be impossible to dodge the blast in that situation, so the save represents that maybe the hero finds a weak link in the chain, and breaks free to hide behind a rock just in time. If that were true, then it would imply that there is no objective reality, and the weakness in the chain and the existence of the rock are both determined after the save is made.

But that's not how the game is actually played. I mean, maybe Gygax ran it differently, but I've never seen anything like that in anything between Basic and 3E. Rather, the DM would run it as if everything was pre-determined - the weak link in the chain, the nearby rock, everything - and further alter the mechanics to take that into consideration. If the DM had determined that the chain had a weak link, then you might be permitted a Strength check to break it. If the DM had established that there was a large rock nearby, then you would be granted a bonus to your saving throw. If neither of those had been the case, then your save might have been penalized, and a success meant that you had miraculously dodged it anyway (for half damage, at least); or, the DM might determine that it was just automatic failure, since there was no way to escape.

Regardless of intent, and regardless of how you may have personally played it, the fact of the matter remains that there was a not-insignificant group of people who used those rules to reflect an internally consistent objective reality.

In fact, the first edition where it really felt like the mechanics represented what Gygax was talking about, indisputably, was 4E. The problem that the above group had with that was, though the mechanics matched the original premise, it no longer allowed them to play the game that they had played with every edition from Basic to 3E.

And just for the record, I repeat that I say 5E should aim to allow players to recreate the experience from those previous editions. As they actually played it, and not as some dead guy wanted them to play it.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

quote:

I know this topic has been covered before, and naysayers are ruthlessly criticized by FFG loyalists but I have something to say and then I will give FFG one final one finger salute.

People say the new rules are better, that may be true but it is a matter of opinion. I don't think they are better but they are different. They certainly rely more on miniatures and a whole assortment of accessories which I am sure FFG will be more than happy to sell to us. As a matter of fact I am positive that this is the whole reason for the second edition.

THEY PULLED THE SAME STUNT WITH WARHAMMER FANTASY!

I love the war hammer universe, both the fantasy and 40K, but I am done being fleeced for my cash by FFG.

I let them get away with their cheesy behavior when they released all the 40k rpg's as separate books when it should have been one unified rule system for all the lines: DH, RT, OW, DW, etc, but the books were so well done and I love the setting so much I let it slide.

NOT THIS TIME!

Wizards of the Coast pulled the same stunt with D&D 4th edition, and their fan base is still punishing them for it.

FFG, you have betrayed the trust of your customers all to make a buck. There is only one price for betrayal, and that is...HAH! Scared you didn't I? I will not give you the same punishment that the emperor visits upon traitors, but for a money grubbing business it is almost as bad...I wont be handing you my money anymore. Perhaps enough other people will have the sense to do the same as me. Then your company will die the slow death of all businesses that make huge mistakes.

I am done with you.

• Locked thread