Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Richard J. Evans summarizes the relevant Weimar elections pretty well. Basically the Nazis gamed the proportional representation system, beat the poo poo out of everyone who called foul or wouldn't vote for them, then retroactively declared their actions legal after seizing power. Then they beat the poo poo out of everyone who called foul over their play for ex post facto legality.

Claiming the Nazis were ever legally elected in any meaningful sense is historically absurd but because people never bother to read about how things actually went down in Germany it's a frustratingly convenient talking point that will never ever go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yeah, that's kinda true. I should've been a bit more specific/less glib about it. I meant they used the fact that throughout the late 20s they intimidated people into voting for them which, thanks to the proportional representation system, increased the number of seats they held in the Reichstag.

The collusion with the conservative parties didn't become an issue until the very end.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sobieski posted:

What do you think of revisionist historians such as Ernst Zundel, David Irving, etc.

I don't know about anyone else, but as a historian I consider them to be utter human filth. They aren't historians, they're goddamned liars.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

What were the resources of the SU like on the Barbarossa front (for want of a term)

Assuming my goofy little thought was correct and the "liberated" Russians joined up could they have defeated the resources of the "Moscow" part of the SU? Or like a video game did the enemy get harder the closer you got to the boss?

Is their any real world knowledge on the potential of a rolling victory?

Hitler takes section A
A and Hitler take B
A and B and Hitler take C

Yada yada yada?

This isn't even wrong. It's just... have you read anything about Nazi Germany whatsoever?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Irish not being proper white people was only really a thing in Britain, as justification for the colonization of Ireland, and America, as anti-immigrant rhetoric, and in America at least it wasn't really a popular view by the time Hitler became a person of interest. I doubt Germans of that era ever gave much thought to the Irish at all.

Pretty much the Nazis only thought about the Irish in terms of how they could use them to cause trouble for the British. Even then most of the German intelligence officers who worked with the amenable elements of the Irish population (most of whom, despite everything, were apathetic at best towards Germany) thought the boasting of their contacts that they could engineer a major distraction to Britain was rubbish.

Hell, the Irish defense forces happily worked with the British command in Northern Ireland on a joint defense strategy in case of a German invasion attempt, and a not inconsiderable number of Irishmen went over to Britain to either work in factories or fight as volunteers during the war. Not to mention the fact navigation beacons and cairns were set up in rural Ireland to aid American aircraft being ferried to Britain, or that Allied aircrews who landed in Ireland were generally given a lift north to Belfast while Axis aviators were detained in the manner that neutrals were supposed to treat combatants.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 20, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sunshine89 posted:

All of these flaws led to her sinking, the fact she was basically sent on a suicide mission and that Admiral Luetjens was overconfident and made terrible decisions notwithstanding.

Except that Lutjens wasn't overconfident. In fact he knew he was on a suicide sortie from the day he got his sailing orders and, as you might expect, was thoroughly depressed about it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Baron Porkface posted:

How legit is My Tank Is Fight?

If you ignore the lovely fiction the descriptions of the various crazy weapons are reasonable enough for the price.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CBJSprague24 posted:

Were any of Hitler's top aides Jewish? Was there any "Well, you're a dirty Jew, but I like you so you can stay" mindset Hitler adopted?

Not a top aide, no, but there was a Jewish man that Hitler showed special treatment to: Dr. Eduard Bloch, his family physician as a child and the man who tried (unsuccessfully) to treat his mother's fatal cancer. Hitler referred to him as an Edeljude.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 25, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

JaucheCharly posted:

*cough*Heß*cough*

Self-inflicted.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

site posted:

This is the thread you want: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3569772

E: going off the conspiracy track though, what's the lowdown on Himmler and the occult? Obviously the topic is the stuff of (urban) legend nowadays and Indiana Jones saved the Allies from annihilation (twice!) and that's why they made those documentaries about him. But what's the truth and what's the bullshit?

Basically Himmler had a lot of whackdoodle beliefs about history (above and beyond those required for high office in the Nazi regime) and the power and money to fund lots of research on them. Wikipedia has a reasonably good overview although if you're looking for an actual book on the subject you should read Nicholas Goodrich-Clarke's The Occult Roots of Nazism, which is way more academic than the title suggests.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

There's that old saw that Germany's position was very bad by the end of 1939, disastrously bad by the end of 1940, and hopeless by the end of 1941.

It's not just an old saw, its the absolute truth. Adam Tooze's The Wages of Destruction explains in detail just how true it is and why.

brozozo posted:

How did the stab in the back legend take hold? My (limited) understanding is that Germany was decisively defeated in northern France and Belgium in the summer and fall of 1918. How did right wing Germans spin that into the die Dolchstoßlegende in the twenties?

The ex-high command officers like Ludendorff lied through their teeth, basically.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nintendo Kid posted:

It seems pretty likely that the Germans would have been able to win against the Czechs,

The German high command didn't share this opinion. They were shocked when the Allies backed down.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

JazzmasterCurious posted:

I've seen soldiers on a week-long drill shoot at giant oranges rolling towards them, making the entire platoon get up in alert mode and acknowledge the "emergency" when it's just sleep deprivation (which is the cause of most amphetamine-related psychosis.)

Well, won't you look silly when you get crushed like Aunt Spiker and Aunt Sponge after telling the soldiers to cease fire.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I just finished Hitler's Willing Executioners, and I have a few questions:

1) How well regarded is this book among historians today?

Long story short: It isn't. Cyrano will be along shortly to fill in the exact details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Wages of Destruction is legit, right?

Very much so, yes.

• Locked thread