Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.
What's your opinion on Shirer's Rise and Fall? I know it's been criticized for not being an academic work, but do you have any or know of any specific criticisms? Anything Shirer got totally wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

If the July 20 plot succeeded, what did the conspirators plan to do with the country? I know they had a government ready to take over once the coup was complete, but what were their intentions beyond killing Hitler?

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Perhaps this is veering too far into military history and doctrine, but what was training like for a German soldier? In the US, we frequently get glimpses into what training was like through media like Band of Brothers, but you never really see what it's like for the other side.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Peenigrippe posted:

It must have been impossible for Germany to plant any fifth columnists in the Baltic States and Ukraine, in spite of the sympathy they kind of received in those regions. If Hitler would have managed that, he could have bided his time with Russia and focused on Britain. Then at some point an internally weakened Ukraine calls for Hitler to intervene, like in Czechoslovakia. Germans roll right in, receiving a full welcome.
Beyond that, it would still become a gruesome war of production/attrition, but could have made for a significant edge on both fronts for Der Fuhrer.
At that point, Ukraine was an integral part of the Soviet Union so I imagine any attempts of German intervention would be met with the full force of the Red Army.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Why did Hitler get off so easily after the Beer Hall Putsch?

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

What was the relationship between the Nazi party and the Wehrmacht like? Were members of the Wehrmacht expected to join the party?

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Meanwhile a country like the US was considered a loving disaster zone. The idea of a cultural/ethnic melting pot of a nation was utterly abhorrent to this way of thinking, and they held up the Roman Empire specifically as an example of a once great nation that got really hosed up by immigration and generally allowing non-Roman peoples inside it.

This strikes me as rather funny since, you know, the Germans migrated into the Roman Empire.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Germanic tribes. Not the same thing. Saying Germans migrated into the Roman Empire would be like saying that Germans and Indians are the same because "Aryans"

Oh of course, there's lots of steps between the tribes of late antiquity and Germany of the modern era. Still, it comes off as so silly to me. "Those filthy migrants brought down the Roman Empire... Pay no attention to their Central European origins!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

How did the stab in the back legend take hold? My (limited) understanding is that Germany was decisively defeated in northern France and Belgium in the summer and fall of 1918. How did right wing Germans spin that into the die Dolchstoßlegende in the twenties?

• Locked thread