Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood

Dopilsya posted:

If nobody minds, I'm not near the expert that the OP is, but I know a little about the situation and thought I might chime in:

I don't think any of them actually believed that it was winnable in the late war (in fact, lots of people believed that it wasn't winnable in the early part of the war). I actually got a chance to talk to a former SS soldier about 5-6 years ago and the way he made it sound was that it was a practically nihilistic, going down with the ship, sort of mindset.

Interestingly enough, he said that when he heard that Hitler died, he literally sat down and cried imagining Hitler going out in a blaze of glory against the forces of Bolshevism. When he found out that Hitler killed himself and left them to pick up the pieces, he realised that he'd been had by the Nazis. He also claimed not to have participated in any war crimes and I didn't press the issue.

I don't get how there are SS men still alive and admit who they were. Aren't there organizations that hunt these guys like dogs? What do they do with themselves after the war? Who wants to hire an SS guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread