Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I am interested in Hitler's court. Was there any formal system of succession for the Führer in place? I know how it ended up in practice (with the crazy guy who airdropped in Scotland as the first expected second in command if I recall correctly) but I wonder if the Nazi state had survived whether there were plans (or even laws already) for Hitler's succession.

e. Or maybe were their certain cultural expectations?

Namarrgon fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

So essentially he went for an Alexandrian style of succession? That always works so well.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Sunshine89 posted:

It's also worth noting that many of the July 20th plotters wanted to negotiate with the western allies to let them keep half of Poland, Gdansk/Danzig and all of Austria and Czechoslovakia when they surrendered.

Say hypothetically that they did and for some reason the plotters were recognized by everyone afterwards as the lawful rulers of Germany. Is it likely the Allied would have agreed? I mean this was 1944 already.

Also why do we always call them the Allied and never 'the Alliance'?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Was a German-Russian war that inevitable?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Kemper Boyd posted:

Some, like Admiral Raeder, wanted a focus on a southern strategy and concentrating on North Africa and the Middle East. However, Hitler wasn't really going to listen to anyone once he set his mind to something.

I was thinking more about it from the Russian side.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

I'm pretty sure there is a documentary out there where they only have film material of Hitler in private (apparently he was an avid film nut) and they had deduced a lot of his conversation from lip-reading.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

The general consensus among historians as far as I picked up is that there was no way in hell Germany could have beaten Russia (save for some hard alternative history where they are the only country to invent the nuclear bomb or something). It would have been longer, it would have been more bloody but the end result would have been the same and would probably have stretched Russian communist influence to the entire Nazi-occupied area.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Pinball posted:

Are there any good books about how Germany, as a country, has dealt with their guilt over the holocaust? In a history class in college the professor said that it was really the post-war generation that started asking questions about what their parents and grandparents did during the war, and I'd like to know more about how they dealt with that knowledge. I have a difficult time understanding how anyone can accept that their relatives were involved in something so massively horrendous.

My German housemate tells me high school history for her was essentially a 6(?)-year WW2 guilt trip with some French Revolution at some point. And this is a prestigious mayor cosmopolitan German school, not a backwater shack.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Pinball posted:

Thanks for the answers, everyone. Do those of you that are German feel that maybe it's overemphasized? Not to deemphasize the horror of it at all, it just seems to me like after so many years it might become numbing.

Well they don't seem to appreciate jokes about it. For context, I live in a Dutch college town with Germany in walking distance. We get a lot of German college-aged students and obviously war jokes come up. Talking about it with my German housemate she is telling me the following;

Having pride in your own country is a big taboo, it took them till 2006 to start putting out the flag in public spaces (big soccer games etc) again. Anyone taking pride in being German in public too much (where 'too much' is very little) will be not so popular. Similarly, while racism is often semi-acceptable in most countries, it is even more of a taboo in Germany for obvious reasons (keep in mind the age group I'm talking about). According to her this is also somewhat extrapolated to feminism ideals, resulting in more equality between the sexes.

Not entirely an answer to your question but I figured someone might appreciate the information. Final answer; I just asked if they feel it is a bit overemphasized; answer is absolutely yes. They know they hosed up and it's all terrible and most people associated are dead now. There is a lot of atrocity in the world to keep focusing on this now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

There was Chiune Sugihara, Japanese Vice-consul to Lithuania during WW2. He helped thousands of Jews leave Nazi Germany by just blanket-stamping visas essentially. Because he was Japanese and a rather high foreign functionary the Germans didn't really know what to do with him. I'll just quote the second part from wikipedia;

quote:

Sugihara continued to hand write visas, reportedly spending 18–20 hours a day on them, producing a normal month's worth of visas each day, until 4 September, when he had to leave his post before the consulate was closed. By that time he had granted thousands of visas to Jews, many of whom were heads of households and thus permitted to take their families with them. On the night before their scheduled departure, Sugihara and his wife stayed awake writing out visa approvals. According to witnesses, he was still writing visas while in transit from his hotel and after boarding the train at the Kaunas Railway Station, throwing visas into the crowd of desperate refugees out of the train's window even as the train pulled out.

In final desperation, blank sheets of paper with only the consulate seal and his signature (that could be later written over into a visa) were hurriedly prepared and flung out from the train.

He's now considered a saint by some Orthodox Christian people. It is really weird to see a guy in suit and tie with a halo.

• Locked thread