Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
What were the prevailing attitudes of average German citizens towards the Allies like? Obviously they were not really down with the Soviets, but what did they think of the Western Allies?

Also how did they react to the growing awareness that they were going to lose the war, and what factors would the average person on the ground have blamed the progress of the war on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Big Blood Bovine posted:

How big of a role did Hitler and NSDAP play in getting the German economy back on track after the Great Depression? From the OP's and Gumby's posts I gather that Nazi economics actually weren't that great. I vaguely remember Adam Tooze writing in his book that the German central bank would've ran out of money in 1939 if Poland hadn't been conquered and exploited.

They had the benefit of Hjalmar Schacht, something of an economic wizard who had hitched his horse to the Nazi wagon during their rise to power. He was something of a gadfly for the old guard banking establishment that wanted to austerity their way out of the Depression, and thought he could use the Nazi party to wrangle his way back into a position where he could put his policies to good use. He was right, but was never really down with Nazi racial policies though and wound up getting shoved aside before the war. I'm not sure of the details of German economic policy after his departure but by all signs I don't think they were terribly effective.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CommissarMega posted:

I've actually seen some of Hitler's paintings, and I have to wonder- what was so bad about them? Mind you, I suppose this would be a better question for an art megathread or something. Are there any good books/websites that cover Hitler's hobo period? Because I really want to know/see what led that homeless bum to become the most infamous man of the 20th century, and God willing, beyond.

Mind you, I don't want Hitler discovering Deviantart, lest he begin exterminating anyone who isn't a furry otaku :stonk:

He wasn't bad, just not good enough to hack it as a pro. He definitely suffered from wobbly lines and uneven perspective, which are particularly bad traits to have when you're mostly interested in architectural paintings and cityscapes (he was worse at human figures.)

• Locked thread