Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Azathoth posted:

It's all well and good to ask "what if Germany had a more social-democratic government after WWI?", but they tried that and it failed miserably, we call it the Weimar Republic today. Even without the reparation payments, the Great Depression was going to hit Germany very hard. They relied then, much as they do now, on producing exports to sell so that they can import food. When the Great Depression reduced worldwide demand for products, it hit Germany exceptionally hard.

It needs to be noted that prior to the Great Depression, Weimar Germany was performing entirely adequately. It's possible that without a worldwide financial meltdown (or possibly even if it comes a little later) we don't see everything fall to pieces.

I'm not certain "failed miserably" is quite the right phrase to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Huttan posted:

As he wrote in Mein Kampf, Hitler truly believed that in a war against Communism, that England and America would be natural allies of the Nazis.

You sure about that? Wages of Destruction makes a strong argument that Hitler saw the US as the second greatest threat to MASTER RACE SUPREMACY (and Britain as the only true major inevitable ally of Team Germany).

Which isn't incompatible with a global anti-commie war, I guess.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Kuiperdolin posted:

Probably selection bias, they don't write stuff about Hans Sixpack and how he was stuck for twelve years pushing papers for the vaterland in a Bielefeld office under a dick boss. Unless he was remarkable in some other way.

Well, obviously. Bielefeld doesn't exist.

• Locked thread