Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Uberskooper posted:

I don't get how there are SS men still alive and admit who they were. Aren't there organizations that hunt these guys like dogs? What do they do with themselves after the war? Who wants to hire an SS guy?

Maybe he was talking about the Waffen-SS? As far as I know they had their fair share of draftees who didn't have much of a choice about joining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Namarrgon posted:

My German housemate tells me high school history for her was essentially a 6(?)-year WW2 guilt trip with some French Revolution at some point. And this is a prestigious mayor cosmopolitan German school, not a backwater shack.

Yeah, that's fairly accurate. I'd say about 2/3 of my history classes were about the 3rd Reich in one way or another. It was also covered in some other classes and there were day trips to a KZ (we had a subcamp of Buchenwald right around the corner from the school), the holocaust memorial in Berlin and the site of the Wannsee conference. So yeah, it's pretty extensively covered in school.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Frostwerks posted:

Whoa guys, let's not go around talking poo poo about all the nazi's positive achievements. You know, things like:

Poor Adolf never catches a break:

(The myth of Hitler destroyed: Even his Autobahns are poo poo)

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

JaucheCharly posted:

Emmigration isn't so easy. It's not like today, where you're free to travel. If you're unlucky, the only countries that will take you are Denmark or Holland, so welcome back to the Wehrmacht a year or two later.

Luftwaffe ground crew is probably the best place to be.

There's no way to dodge the draft. You're going, if you like it or not.

That reminded me of a pretty depressing local story I recently heard. It was a small family of farmers (mother, father and one son), and the son got past the initial waves of the draft because they contributed to actually keeping the soldiers fed. But as things got more desperate he too was eventually called up for his examination. His father suggested that he should pretend that he was mentally handicapped to get past it, and it actually worked. However, that meant that under the eugenics program he was immediately scheduled for forcible sterilisation (reputedly through castration, though I'm not certain if that was a commonly used method). He couldn't exactly retract his story because that'd likely have lead to a death sentence, so he had to go through with it. It was so traumatising to him that he killed himself with poison some time later. His father hanged himself after that, blaming himself since he'd given him that advice in the first place. The mother, too, killed herself shortly afterwards, leaving their farm entirely abandoned.

:smith:

• Locked thread