Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

IT IS EXTREMELY GRAPHIC! BE WARNED! I've been in classes where this has been shown and students have vomited.
Oh this film again. Had to watch it in my honors history class in highschool. The lack of soundtrack and excess of white noise made the thing even worse. One of the most repulsive things I've watched. I remember everyone's expression after the film ended. We were all in shock and disbelief. Crazy way to end the last class on Friday.

That aside, this is a very informative thread! There were a few history threads that had holocaust/nazi germany derails that, while interesting, couldn't be talked about for more than a few posts because it was off topic. Glad something like this cropped up, thanks for writing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

I don't know if your version had the original narration, but this one does. but yea no actual sound was recorded, just added in after the fact.

Ours was part of the PBS Frontline special recorded on a DVD. It didn't have any 'music' like other documentaries, but it had the narration. Looks like they're both the same though, especially with the memorable narrator.

Back on subject, how did the German population react to holocaust after the war was lost? From what I've read in the thread, support for Hitler was steadily falling by the end of the war which was viewed as hopeless by that point, so it seems like things weren't an instant realization. How many people were aware of it going on, or at least knew of it happening through rumors? How did society go from being pro Nazism to "oh crap what have we done"?

e:I also heard that during the liberation of camps, the allies would force nearby citizens to watch what their government was responsible for and occasionally help move bodies/clean up. It sounds something of a rumor or exaggeration, but liberating a camp like that has got to bring out some crazy emotions.

vvv: Ah I must have forgotten that was in the video. It's been years since I've last watched it in class and I haven't exactly yearned to see it again.

buglord fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 2, 2013

• Locked thread