Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Reading this thread was the most depressing thing I did all day but it was also a good read.

I do have a question about German/Italian relations. A few years ago when I was in highschool my father left CSPAN running for a few hours and I caught a segment of a guy with a WW2 book talking about the unraveling between Germany and Italy. He claimed that Italy was the only European nation during the conflict that sent in soldiers to fight off the German army to protect their Jewish population.

Even at the time this struck me as a ridiculous and overly romantic claim. I've searched for proof off and on and haven't found any. On the other hand when I researched the Italian resistance when getting my bachelor's I read plenty of horrific accounts of Germans executing Italian students (including a case where a Nazi unit set a university building on fire and forced an entire group of students inside to burn to death) and they did mount an invasion of Italy during the last gasp of the war.

There was no love lost between the two peoples and there are plenty of romantic stories of heroism and decency that have turned out to be true. So, did that really happen? Did Italian soldiers try to rescue their Jewish population?

I would give the name of the guy and his book but it was almost ten years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Not very helpful but it's a good reaction image.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

JaucheCharly posted:

Sry, never heard of it. Sounds like an episode of Don Camillo.

I figured it was too good to be true. Thanks though.

• Locked thread