Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amyclas
Mar 9, 2013

What was Nazi Germany's fiscal policy like after 1933? How much control did the party have over the central bank? Was it a purely political currency?

How did Nazi Germany conduct trade for materials it needed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amyclas
Mar 9, 2013

Gumby posted:

I think Speer was a pretty slimy guy who was very good at ingratiating himself into various groups and who knew what people wanted to hear. His defenses included "I didn't know what was going on," "I knew what was going on but tried to keep my head down," "I once tried to kill Hitler, honest," and "I feel really bad about the Holocaust but I didn't know what was going on until you just told me about it." He was a good-looking and charming guy who knew how to use those qualities.
I've read Adam Tooze's Wages of Destruction, which is the go-to book for this subject, but it was a few years ago. From what I remember, Hitler drove up production through military spending, fudged numbers to falsely declare full employment, threw unemployed people into labor camps, and overheated the economy to the point that his Economics Minister Hjalmar Schacht started to freak out about inflation. Schacht was eventually dismissed, and thrown into Dachau after it was found out that Schacht had become a member of the resistance.

Germany's international economic problem was a lack of foreign currency with which to import goods, which Tooze goes into in some great detail.

Thanks, I found a copy of Tooze's work at http://www.2shared.com/document/F88SwIuL/Adam_Tooze_The_Wages_of_Destru.html, if anyone is interested in his exposition on Nazi economics.

It's pretty amazing that the regime was able to field such a large war machine in spite of the arbitrary nature of their economy.

• Locked thread