Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Vaguely conciliatory is the right description. You want to come in here and question everyone else's motives and question their honesty, and then weasel out of actually taking responsibility for it. You want good will, can start by apologizing for calling me a liar and insincere. Until then, go gently caress yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Vaguely conciliatory is the right description. You want to come in here and question everyone else's motives and question their honesty, and then weasel out of actually taking responsibility for it. You want good will, can start by apologizing for calling me a liar and insincere. Until then, go gently caress yourself.

Okay, I’m game. I’m sorry I called you a liar and insincere. It doesn’t really look good on me, does it, after all the talking I did about how RPGnet is so superior for not letting insult people, to say a thing like that.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Jesus Christ you can't even apologize without coming off like a passive-aggressive jerk.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Rand Brittain posted:

Okay, I’m game. I’m sorry I called you a liar and insincere. It doesn’t really look good on me, does it, after all the talking I did about how RPGnet is so superior for not letting insult people, to say a thing like that.

So what you're saying is that you're literally incapable of controlling yourself without the threat of moderation hanging over your head?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Rand Brittain posted:

Were you born this much of a dense shithead or did you take lessons?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Rand Brittain posted:

You know how sometimes, when you say something, you shouldn't continue to talk after that and make yourself come off as an insincere rear end in a top hat by undercutting everything you just said?

Actually, you probably don't, so: this was one of those times.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Anyone else remember that time when Rand Brittain decided he was going to go to bat for Holden when Holden was claiming WoD: Gypsies was 100% definitely not racist? Good times.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

Anyone else remember that time when Rand Brittain decided he was going to go to bat for Holden when Holden was claiming WoD: Gypsies was 100% definitely not racist? Good times.

No, because that didn’t happen.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

No, because that didn’t happen.

Sorry, it might have been a different lovely ex/current RPG.net mod whose racism you felt the need to defend, you kind of all blend together. I'd go dig for receipts but I don't particularly fancy wading through human refuse right now.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Dawgstar posted:

Eh, I wouldn't want to see you banned at the Big Purple, Kai. At the least I want to see how Morgrave turns out.

I'll never stop being weirded out by the idea that there are actually people following this game. Makes me even more embarrassed by my lovely posting lately.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hey folks! I was planning to reboot this thread today and I'd appreciate it if you could drop the RPGnet argument before then, thanks.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
The rpg net mods sent in the tanks to crush the exalted uprising but don't forget they lynch pathfinder fans here.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Der Waffle Mous posted:

The rpg net mods sent in the tanks to crush the exalted uprising but don't forget they lynch pathfinder fans here.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The punchline is you could probably have flipped your PHB on the secondhand market and gotten enough scratch to buy a copy of EX2 and had money left over.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
i too have many strong opinions about role playing games and.. uh... industry.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I for one like Exalted 3 and have no idea what the RPGnet drama around it was.

I am interested in something about its production though - there was a lot of hay made about its layout being special and unique, and I have no idea what that ended up being/not being.
Anyone know what was up with Ex3 layout hype?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

I am interested in something about its production though - there was a lot of hay made about its layout being special and unique, and I have no idea what that ended up being/not being.

People at OPP who never noticed that Eclipse Phase and D&D 5e both set a much higher bar for "excellent layout" than they've ever managed, and also trying to desperately justify the huge amounts of time they spent on a layout that's bog standard for RPGs these days.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
So I read the article linked a while ago with the Asmodee interview about counterfeiting. It was really surprising, I assumed that the hobby I like wouldn't have the volume or price conditions that would lead to counterfeiting. But the way they described it makes sense, because they can probe the market preemptively through Amazon marketplace and do some easy market research and minimize their own risk. Pretty clever.

I also read the article about pricing.
https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/39126/icv2-interview-asmodee-execs-new-distribution-policies

It was pretty interesting. I deal with pricing analysis in my day job (very different industry), but the messages there make sense. It seems the strategy is that they want their games being sold primarily through the independent game store channel. The objective seems to be to increase the store margins. With the flood of games being released each year, it makes sense that they'd want to make sure that their products have an edge to get on a retailer's shelves.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

The punchline is you could probably have flipped your PHB on the secondhand market and gotten enough scratch to buy a copy of EX2 and had money left over.

When that promotion ran D&D 3.5 had been out a bit and was still in print. People actually bought used copies of the PHB for $15-20 and then traded them for Exalted 2E, which was $40.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

When that promotion ran D&D 3.5 had been out a bit and was still in print. People actually bought used copies of the PHB for $15-20 and then traded them for Exalted 2E, which was $40.

Yeah, I wasn't sure precisely when the prices started to rise so it could have come later on. I remember when I was living in Portland I'd see secondhand PHBs going for $50-60 at some stores.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I wasn't sure precisely when the prices started to rise so it could have come later on. I remember when I was living in Portland I'd see secondhand PHBs going for $50-60 at some stores.

Wait, 3E stuff us actually worth money? Maybe I need to liquidate my collection, because gently caress playing that game again.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Ettin posted:

Hey folks! I was planning to reboot this thread today and I'd appreciate it if you could drop the RPGnet argument before then, thanks.
Give Rand an RPG.net-style thread ban and you've got a deal, because the past two pages have made it clear that Rand can't step away from Operation Defend RPG.net and the rest of us can't stop razzing him for it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Roadie posted:

People at OPP who never noticed that Eclipse Phase and D&D 5e both set a much higher bar for "excellent layout" than they've ever managed, and also trying to desperately justify the huge amounts of time they spent on a layout that's bog standard for RPGs these days.

I assume “layout” here is purely visual, because the information organization of 5e PHB is a mess.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

I for one like Exalted 3 and have no idea what the RPGnet drama around it was.

I assume they wanted it to be super-nice, so they spent more money than usual and gave it to someone they don't usually use who won a lot of awards for nice layout and told them to make it super-nice.

Unfortunately, this did not work, partly because the production debacles dragged things out so long that Cabardo couldn't devote the block of time to it that she'd probably been hoping for (because freelancers have to share their time between multiple projects), and party because spending more money is not sufficient on its own to revolutionize RPG layout.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

rkajdi posted:

Wait, 3E stuff us actually worth money? Maybe I need to liquidate my collection, because gently caress playing that game again.

They were only worth that much during the transition to 4th edition. Pathfinder was still in beta or whatever they called it and grogs were scrambling to get the main 3.5 books.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Some 3.5 books are worth money, namely later / low-print. Core books are also decent sellers, though you're probably not going to necessarily get MSRP. 3.5 PHB is definitely worth more than Exalted 2e, the demand has remained fairly constant.

3.0 ain't worth a thing, though. I only got anything for it because I had the CD and sample adventure intact.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

No game deader than 3 point nothin D&D.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, 3.5 is dead enough with Pathfinder, 4E, and 5E picking its bones in various ways. 3.0 is just worse 3.5, so its disco levels of dead.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

I assume “layout” here is purely visual, because the information organization of 5e PHB is a mess.

Yes.

Well, I mean, it's still got Ex3 beaten in organization, too (just compare the combat sections), but the nitty gritty of how the text is laid out, layering and position of art, etc is way, way better than any of Ex3's bog standard RPG layout "drop in rectangular art pieces that are sometimes full bleed" stuff.

A simple example is page 38-39 of the 5e PHB, where the text, the art, the sidebar, and the quote are all laid out excellently, and you can tell they carefully tweaked the art and text on page 39 to work perfectly with the left-hand column (look at how "They live much longer..." breaks on "live" instead of "much") and even to mesh perfectly with the chapter title text next to the page number.

Compare to page 40 of Ex3, where they didn't even make all the text flow smoothly with the art it's trying to haphazardly wrap around, or page 122 or page 126, where there's just a rectangular art box dropped in at the top or bottom of a page without even being actually full bleed (but part-bleed enough to actually just be more noticeably off).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Roadie posted:

A simple example is page 38-39 of the 5e PHB, where the text, the art, the sidebar, and the quote are all laid out excellently, and you can tell they carefully tweaked the art and text on page 39 to work perfectly with the left-hand column (look at how "They live much longer..." breaks on "live" instead of "much") and even to mesh perfectly with the chapter title text next to the page number.

Yeah, the visual designers were much more detail-oriented than the game designers.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Some 3.5 books are worth money, namely later / low-print. Core books are also decent sellers, though you're probably not going to necessarily get MSRP. 3.5 PHB is definitely worth more than Exalted 2e, the demand has remained fairly constant.

3.0 ain't worth a thing, though. I only got anything for it because I had the CD and sample adventure intact.

It's worth noting that right around when 4e and the "graduate your game" thing from Exalted came out, 3.5 corebooks were in short supply--and since Graduate Your Game required the retailer to physically destroy the 3.5 corebooks to send to WW to get reimbursed...

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

White Wolf runs a 3.5 scalping ring

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

White Wolf is two kids in a trenchcoat trying to get into an Underworld screening.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Haystack posted:

White Wolf is two kids in a trenchcoat trying to get into an Underworld screening.
It amuses me how whereas the old White Wolf brought that lawsuit against Underworld for plagiarism (and apparently got an out-of-court settlement), nuWW just sticks shots from Underworld into the trailer for their documentary about the WoD games. I guess that makes it canon now.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
White Wolf used to be a successful business. Now, Onyx Path doesn't even own the rights to the World of Darkness license and is on the life support of endless Kickstarter campaigns.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Sampatrick posted:

White Wolf used to be a successful business. Now, Onyx Path doesn't even own the rights to the World of Darkness license and is on the life support of endless Kickstarter campaigns.

I'd quibble with characterizing the Kickstarter model as "life support" given that Onyx Path's release schedule has been far more prolific and robust than, say, D&D 5E. These days operating via crowdfunding is just another business model, and honestly a more sensible one when it comes to a niche hobby like tabletop RPGs.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I'd quibble with characterizing the Kickstarter model as "life support" given that Onyx Path's release schedule has been far more prolific and robust than, say, D&D 5E. These days operating via crowdfunding is just another business model, and honestly a more sensible one when it comes to a niche hobby like tabletop RPGs.

I don't know that I would use D&D 5e as a good comparison - it has had quite a few supplements and adventures at this point and has had an absolutely massive volume of sale compared to pretty much every other RPG out there right now. My issue with the Kickstarter business model is that it relies very heavily on people who were not Kickstarter backers wanting to purchase the product after it has been released, and when a large number of the Kickstarter products are 20th anniversary editions whose market is primarily composed of those people who would support the Kickstarter it makes for a difficult environment to make a profit. That's without getting into the issues with Onyx Path competing against itself with World of Darkness and Chronicles of Darkness or Onyx Path not doing any advertising. I have no doubt that Onyx Path can continue to kickstart new products for years to come - my doubt mostly comes down to if they can actually run a profitable business while relying on Kickstarters as their primary sales.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I guess they'll be the test case to see if you can. It does make me sad that they don't have traditional distribution to game stores, and while I understand that business decision, it makes it difficult to grow the playerbase.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Please, do point to the RPG company that is running on a strong profit margin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Please, do point to the RPG company that is running on a strong profit margin.

The technically correct answer is Wizards of the Coast even if it ignores a lot of things. The more realistic answer is that if you're not producing D&D you shouldn't be in the RPG industry unless you're a wizard and have somehow managed to make World of Darkness popular once more.

• Locked thread