Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Winson_Paine posted:

For what it's worth, while I can see why there would be objections to using a third party service (especially after the fact) and those reasons could be valid for some people (I don't agree with them, but I can at least see how a rational person could object, basically) I gotta say more companies should use a third party fulfillment house. It cuts into profits and might cost more, but having done fulfillment for a company (well, I was the one who dealt with our fulfillment house) it is a smart move for companies that are not equipped to deal with large volume of shipping. For those who don't know what this is, there are places that will handle shipping and storage of your poo poo. You get the benefit of not having to warehouse the product and not needing to personally deal with shipping, and your customers get the benefit of discounted shipping to a degree (because the company you are dealing with gets volume discounts from doing this a lot) and it also means you don't have a hundred boxes of books in your living room you need to pack and ship yourself. It is a pro move, but it can be spendy.

Hell, I work for a company that has a fulfillment house as one of their lines of business, and yes it is a little spendy, but even goddamn giant companies (like say, Mondelēz International, Inc., manufacturers of delicious Oreo cookies) use them for promotional materials or whatever because that isn't their core business. If you're a company who makes books, and you're suddenly expanding into another area (like Evil Hat is with dice) or hell, you're just one guy coordinating an army of freelancers (like Andy Kitkowski) than hiring a fulfillment house, while eating into your bottom line, is just good business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

01011001 posted:

Didn't TSR even actively go after people putting up homebrew online in the 90's or something? Stuff like that's hard to believe in comparison to how things are now.

Yes, yes they did. Part of that was people weren't just sharing homebrew, they were sharing entire rulebooks online (text only, for the most part, but the art back then wasn't worth downloading anyway) and TSR's lawyers didn't make any sort of distinction between 'this is fan made content' and 'this is our content'.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Iris of Ether posted:

Also not a lawyer, but wouldn't patent law be more applicable here than copyright law? Patents tend to cover protection of working ideas and methods. Copyright is more protection of specific sections of quoted words, musical passages, etc. Patenting is more flexible in what it can apply to, but it expires a lot faster than copyright.

I believe this describes Garfield's patenting of a lot of Magic: The Gathering mechanics, for example. To me, that says that specific game mechanics can be patented.

Of course, in the end, it's all down to what's arguable in court.

The issue really at hand is that patent law only applies to novel, patented inventions. Richard Garfield owned the patent on Magic: The Gathering because it was the first (known, published) game of its kind. Good luck convincing anybody in a patent court that rolling a d20 (commonly produced by a variety of companies and first produced over 2000 years ago) and comparing it to a number is a new and never before seen game mechanic... Well, it's not going to work.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Do posters here count? Because Mikan then.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm going to say no as well. Not because it doesn't need to be discussed, but because that pretty much only happens in kickstarter. For example, I don't see any naked Adepta Sororitas figures in my cursory glance over GW's website.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's a bigger question. That's a much bigger question. The only thing I can think of is a giant purge.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Sarx posted:

Margaret Weis has it. They are about to put out their new RPG.

I doubt its them though.

Judging from the followup tweets he might be under an NDA preventing him from mentioning the name of the company

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Fuego Fish posted:

Yeah, and you could also (shameless self-promotion in action) buy my books :v:

You really should, by the way. Izzy Hartley and the Luminal Magnifier is probably my favorite debut novel of all time.

I'm usually more of an urban fantasy and soft SF guy myself, which of course annoys the hell out of me when I fire up my kindle and see so much terrible garbage in the former. At least the only urban fantasy RPG with any kind of market penetration into the elfgame zeitgeist are Shadowrun and Dresden Files.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Vance is definitely worth a go, especially the stories that don't have wizards as protagonists.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Sometimes you just want to have a few beers, kick down doors, and slaughter things with tentacles for mouths and take their loot, and I respect that. Other times, you want to have complex motivations and plots and entire adventures where no one so much as draws a sword, and I respect that too.

It's when a game goes 'you can only play this one way' that I don't like, unless it's a board game, board games are fine for having only one way to play them. Maybe there's a game out there that's managed to dial down into a singular play style in a way that's really good, but I haven't read it yet.

That hasn't stopped me from trying though.

I should probably actually read Fellowship, since I backed it and all.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Covok posted:

This comes down to differences in philosophy, but I don't feel there is anything bad with a game going "I am meant to be played in a very, very particular way." If anything, it tends to be easier to design for and allows you to better reinforce themes and motifs with mechanics since you know what adventures the PCs will be on.

I don't either, it's just that every game I've read that has tried just hasn't done it for me. Could be that I'm just feeling very cynical today.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bah, I've got several editions of Gamma World and Remnants if I wanted to play post apocalypse games. And if I really wanted to do Vance, I'm fairly certain I've got a copy of the Dying Earth RPG lying around.

Numenara sounds like bad writing from everything I've heard about it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

MalcolmSheppard posted:

It sounds exactly like the sort of self-congratulatory transgressive exploration you used to get from the nth Vampire LARPer whose character was a Nazi, where it's not Nazi fanboyism but let's say that it's an excess of interest. (It kind of reminds me of 3:16, where it's a terrible tragedy that you're massacring a gazillion aliens using rules tailored for doing so. Oh, it's terrible!) My point is that Baker obviously wishes it somehow broke Dogs to play it this way (b-but town creation rules!) instead of stepping up and just saying that it's grody poo poo, take a step back. You cannot design a game that makes bad taste impossible.

By god I will try!

Actually, probably not. but if I ever design a game from the ground up again, at least it won't be as bad as Cthulhutech.

Speaking of which I had heard they were doing a second edition with all the skeevy poo poo taken out. Has that shown up yet, or am I being horribly optimistic about any changes to the setting?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Chill la Chill posted:

It's funny because every single time I've started any type of martial arts aimed at actually killing your opponent, the instructors always tell you that it's not like the movies and your fight is likely to end in a couple seconds if that. There's a lot of emphasis placed on the opening move from the very beginning. Even sport fencing places a lot of emphasis on this move.

Meanwhile wizards have the time necessary to do the mental calculations and wizard-engineering needed to construct a carefully placed atomic bomb without killing their cohorts. :allears:

And this is why GURPS has combat last in one second rounds and your average sword can totally at least incapacitate an average guy in one hit if used properly.

Which is funny, because unless your wizard is really good, in GURPS most fights will be over before they even get a spell off (since it usually takes between 2-4 seconds to actually make magic happen if you use the default spell rules)..

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

How much damage does a Fighter even do on a miss in 5e? I mean, it obviously can't be full damage (which as I understand isn't that spectacular anyway), so why raise a fuss about it?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You're telling me people got so upset over chip damage that they nerfed it out of existence?

Wow, I am really glad I never followed any of the 5e saga in any depth.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Harrow posted:

I always did want to run a game where some game mechanics are understood and talked about in-world, like classes being actual guilds that expect certain things of their members. I'd hope this conversation would happen in such a game.

I've always wanted to run a game where all game mechanics are understood and talked about in-world. The problem is finding a game where the rules don't just completely break if you do that.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Halloween Jack posted:

You also probably want to avoid Order of the Stick style silliness, I expect.

Some games are fairly straightforward as far as super-powers are concerned, at least. Vampires in Vampire talk about Disciplines, know what the powers are and know that you have to learn them in order from 1-5. (Although it's not like every vampire knows everything.) D&D 4 is an interesting mix. Spells have names. Monk martial arts techniques have names, but rogues probably don't talk about Sand in the eyes as if it was a proper name. For fighters, it's a mix--brash strike almost certainly isn't but Kirre's roar almost certainly is.

Yeah I'm not very good at intentional humor. Also I remember at one point in Masquerade a vampire scientist discovered the Blood Point and they had a whole sidebar about how this didn't mean you were allowed to just start using it in character/

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Leperflesh posted:

I'm waiting eagerly for the future where there's a 4e retroclone movement and we get dozens of super-derivative attempts at recapturing the nostalgic "atmosphere" of 4th edition.

I imagine they'll all include the worst of 4e's flaws while mostly failing to include its greatest aspects.

Somebody get me a Markov chain and the complete text of 4e.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Dr. Quarex posted:

Where can you find a scrap of pillow ticking in this day and age

I think the bigger concern is where a wizard would get pillow ticking in the pseudo medieval setting assumed by your standard D&D game.

Edit: because seriously in a modern setting you could buy it by the truckload thanks to manufacturing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Harrow posted:

Has there ever been an explanation for why 3e ended up that way? What culture shift happened that made everyone want to play a game where magic-users could do everything and martials could do jack poo poo?

I wouldn't say everyone, it's just it was the new edition of D&D. It's hard to explain the zeitgeist to someone who wasn't active in the scene at the time.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah it's like Kai Tave said, it was a combination of inadequate playtesting and pressure from the higher ups at Wizards to release a new edition because the old edition had poo poo the bed so hard there was nowhere to go but up as far as sales were concerned.

Seriously, the only reason TSR was up for sale was because they were hemorrhaging money from years of bad licensing deals and a terrible glut of products nobody wanted.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Lemon-Lime posted:

Okay, but that's not remotely true. The ARPG genre dates back to 1985. :v:

Jesus Christ that Wikipedia page is clearly gushing fanboy work. It's full of opinions and seriously biased language.

That said, yeah the Japanese invented the action RPG.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah I'd wait and see who else gets a C&D first.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Helical Nightmares posted:

Evidently EOS-SAMA is closed.

How often in the games industry do freelancers like layout editors or writers not get paid by the company?

You're not going to get hard answers on that except in cases where the company has gone under.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I thought jury duty guy was freelance.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

moths posted:

So is every UK / EU Kickstarter I backed going to implode now?

Depends on a lot of factors. Like whether Brexit actually sticks and how the companies handled their finances.

Expect shipping costs to go up though, shipping costs always go up.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Leperflesh posted:

The Brexit vote was a non-binding referendum. Assuming the (probably new) government of the UK elects to bow to the will of the voters, the process of exiting the EU will take at least two years, during most of which no actual regulations will change.

So from a regulatory perspective, no, any kickstarter delivered in a reasonable amount of time will be fine.

However, the Brexit is an economic black hole from which no light from the future can escape. E.g., it's a massive uncertainty for UK and EU economic future, and markets hate uncertainty. So expect substantial changes in the UK pound's value against the dollar, Euro, and other currencies, as well as potentially significant impacts on the UK and European economies. Either or both of those things could affect any kickstarter in the UK or EU which is running on thin margins; for example as they see forex imbalance erode their ability to pay for their Chinese manufacturing costs, or if significant numbers of european backers try to get refunds, or if people working on kickstarters in their spare time suddenly lose their jobs and have to drop their hobby of making their cool boardgame for something more important.

The crux of this is that nobody really knows. The world's fifth largest economy has declared its intention to exit the european union. Anyone who claims to know what the exact results of that will be, a month from now or six months or two years or six years, is deluded or lying. We just don't know.

On the bright side, at least hopefully nobody in the UK was actually relying on the dollar being weak against the pound, unlike a certain Canadian company from years back who claimed to have been ruined by a suddenly stronger Canadian dollar.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ningyou posted:

a) would you say there is a market niche for a sequel done up as a dating sim where xbob brambleby has to choose a new sword dick from between 5 swords that are also dongs that are also haunted by ghostly gal pals with different personalities

b) god, all i can think of is plowing through the end of that out of spite and your whole BLOOD PACT thing and being absolutely bewildered when i heard YOU HAVE TO gently caress IT at four in the morning

Now I'm just imagining a really hosed up Saint's Row sequel.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Halloween Jack posted:

"Free copies sent to the panel of judges?"

This is basically it, yes. If you want 'serious' consideration for the ENnies you basically have to give away hundreds of dollars of product to the judges.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Zereth posted:

... Several hardcopies of one product, to one judge?

ENnies judges is basically a scam.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

FMguru posted:

The point of awards is not to recognize and encourage excellence, it's to promote the field being awarded and boost sales of things that receive awards. The Academy Awards exist as a giant billion-dollar marketing exercise for the film industry and as something to provide a measurable revenue boost to awarded films. The purpose of the Ennie Awards is to allow some products to slap a "WINNER 2014 Ennie Award" logo on their cover so that browsing customers will be more likely to notice it and pick it up.

The problem is that the industry is so small that either the consumer won't have heard of the ENnies, or the company that won can't afford a new print run with the logo on it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mors Rattus posted:

When I told you to get in contact with him for the rights to make a game of his work, I wasn't joking

Buckaroo

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So I was just voting in the ENnies and I noticed one of the categories was Best Judge....

Why the gently caress would you vote on judges when they're supposed to have no industry ties. That's like giving an Academy Award to best movie watcher.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Still nonsense.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

He would be so drat angry.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

ExiledTinkerer posted:

What even is The List of the biggest and oldest names in this scene at the formative level that have left a legacy of sorts as far as the already deceased and the still hanging on? There's Gygax obviously, and the wildly-different-than-Gygax M.A.R. Barker---must be another good few that make up the earliest enduring foundations to paint something of a picture?

There's the two Steve Jacksons, Arneson, M A R Barker, Gygax, Ken St Andre, Rick Loomis, Mark W Miller, Kevin Siembada and I can't think of anyone else who was active in the 70's-early 80's and produced anything long term right now.

Honestly I'm sure there's a comprehensive list in Designers and Dragons.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I have always thought it was weird that there were two Steve Jacksons, and for a period of time they both worked on the same gameline (Fighting Fantasy).

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There were some mechanical incompatibilities in 2e, but they were mostly on the side of 'we don't have rules for [stupid thing here] anymore'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I was just going over my copy of Mutant Chronicles, and failure results don't do anything but make you ignore that die on the roll. Natural 20s can add Complications, but it's possible to both succeed at a task and get Complications.

I have no idea how Conan handles it, but I'd assume the same way.

• Locked thread