Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

neongrey posted:

No they aren't. :smith:

They would be if any of us were loving, and by that I mean millennials in general.

MY problem with Shadowrun that hasn't been brought up yet is that whoever writes the vehicles and drones rules never checks with the person who writes the chargen rules so the prices are way out of bounds for certain archetypes to even be possible, let alone feasible. Like every edition talks about t-bird smugglers but a vectored thrust craft almost always costs between 2 and 4 times maximum starting resources and you can't pool your cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

unseenlibrarian posted:

But you don't ever admit that to any Traveller discussion groups online ever.

Well now I want to play a good edition of Traveller.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah you could really tell the design team needed a break from all the projects they were working on before Mearls even showed up, most of the classes and monsters in the third books were really scraping the barrel for ideas.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Balancing a ranged defender would be a nightmare.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The former is in SR though, the way advancement works in various editions once you get a Big Number it's almost impossible to advance any further because of skill caps and karma costs. So you can't spend your advancement points on your optimized gimmick because you either literally can't or the advancement cost is so high you won't accumulate enough points in a year or more of play.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

For fucks sake you people are still going on about this?

Charop is a problem with the mechanics of a game, it's not the GM's fault, it's not the player's fault. The only real solution is to play something else or admit it's broken and just deal with it.

Y'all just keep talking past each other at this point and it's dumb as Hell.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Unless you're in a really weird group the GM picks the game and the GM interprets (and, if necessary, adjusts) rules. So while "fault" is kind of accusatory, yes, actually it is the GM's responsibility to either pick a game that works out of the box, or set the guidelines for what's acceptable and what isn't.

It's the developer's responsibility first but as much as these forums sometimes provide the exception, you usually don't have direct access to the devs to get things fixed at that level. :v:

Oh yes, because every GM is a perfect bastion of mechanics and balance and can instantly sniff out a broken combo and has their pulse on the quickening heart of what is good and what is bad when it comes to gaming. This is just the loving "A Good GM" fallacy again and if you believe that you can go gently caress yourself and the horse you rode in on.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Um, no, they're not. I'm not even going to link it but there's a lion like, covered in dicks.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's no way a professional artist turns in a bikini witch unless that's what the client asked for or there was some kind of huge misunderstanding. If Uran is drawing half-naked ladies it's because she knows that what the client wants.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

This is, put plainly, a nonpunishment. McFarland voluntarily stepped down from moderating duties at the start of this so they're not even actually doing anything to him that he didn't say he was okay with. That's like dictating your own sentence at a criminal trial, it's not really a punishment because it imposes no hardship. A lack of any sort of a ban just sets a bad precedent and tells us that if you're in the industry then you can get away with any kind of gross behavior as long as nobody finds out immediately.

Same old from the conspiracy of silence and the old boy's club.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yes but nobody is going to track your hours and pay you a living wage. Paying by the word lets you get away with paying peanuts for serious work that takes months.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

homullus posted:

brb, putting the finishing touches on my new Kickstarter RPG, Thousand-Word Monster Land.

There is a market for this, if you advertise correctly. Admittedly most of them are grogs, but as long as you don't turn terrible their money spends just as well.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Are there any male figures in the industry who aren't sexual harassers?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Liquid Communism posted:

Starting to think that GW getting better was a monkey's paw deal. :stonk:

It's monkey's paws all the way down.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bedlamdan posted:

In defense of therpgsite, it has successfully retained a record of a full zero mods that verifiably raped, a feat only rivaled by rpg.net up until BlackHatMatt. Huge accomplishment.

That you know of. Hell, does therpgsite even have moderators?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

But if you vivisect a frog the frog lives, maybe. I'm not sure how that applies to this though and that would be very painful for the frog.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bad idea: Use this to topple the current regime and install yourself as President.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

They'll release it when Far West is released.

They're hoping we all forgot and will go back to paying them unearned credit in the industry. Well I'm not forgetting, and it'll be a cold day before GR gets any of my money in the future without a real apology for their asinine behavior.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's all arbitrary anyway, rarity is meaningless without demand, just look at all the listings on ebay for defunct card games.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Liquid Communism posted:

They're basically saying 'whoops, to meet the valuation we have, we need to have been the middleman for Netflix subscriptions.'

That sounds more like a problem with the way they presented their business model than an end-user problem.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kavak posted:

My current headcanon: The Astartes would -like- to add Battle Sisters, but the Adeptas Soriritas inducts every able-bodied girl they can get their hands on before the Spehs Mureens can get to them.

Well now I'm just imagining a job fair with like a booth for Space Marines and one for Adeptas Sororitas and there's just a huge line for the latter and one lone woman at the Space Marine booth with all the battle brothers trying to convince her to join by letting her hold the flamer and giving her brochures about their sweet vehicles and then she joins the other line while they try not to cry.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

DigitalRaven posted:

It was White Wolf who put it in.

I know because I developed the book, I got their edits, and if I hadn't accepted their changes I (and possibly the other authors, Holden and David included) would not have been paid.

But expecting Holden not to fling poo poo around as a smokescreen for his ongoing enabling of Mørke is like expecting a dog to meow.

That's some bullshit right there. Although yeah the Holden thing remains at him throwing tantrums.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I'm going to make a chart we can all reference to keep this straight, because goddamn.

I just need to find some red string and a cork board.

I super stole that joke from Inklesspen

As long as you stop burning mail addressed to Pepe Silva.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Since when did you need a soul to become a wraith anyway? Since when don't vampires have souls and how do they get around without them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Evil Mastermind posted:

Brucatto really wants to be gaming's Grant Morrison, doesn't he?

Considering some of the poo poo I've seen at the table, I'm not sure Grant Morrison could be gaming's Grant Morrison.

• Locked thread