Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Comrade Koba posted:

Not sure what defines a "top RPG series", but GURPS immediately comes to mind. My calculus textbook has prettier pictures.

Your calc textbook has an art budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

ScaryJen posted:

I imagine it's meant to do is protect wizards from lawsuits . Like if you wrote an issue or two of a comic, introduced a character, and then threatened to sue because said character was mentioned in a future issue. Or if they come up with something in-house that's sort of similar to an idea in someone else's submitted material. That's why they ask for short adventures and FR material pretty much exclusively, and why they have the line in the dmsguild front page about purchasing IP if they plan to use it in earnest.

Writing for companies on their established IP isn't exactly a great gig, but this doesn't strike me as some huge ripoff or anything. Dmsguild is intended stuff you wouldn't be able to write and sell on your own. I don't see anyone getting burned any worse than they might already from being a paid contributor to a book (not to say no one gets screwed that way, it just is what it is).

Neil Gaiman made a bunch of money this way awhile back- he created some characters for Spawn that it was ruled were his, and he was awarded a chunk of back royalties for them.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Also a LOT of people's first D&D was 3E, or they played a little 2E then a lot of 3E, and they just assume.

e: yeah, that.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 22, 2016

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

So is this ridiculous Humble Bundle full of Pathfinder PDFs and a box set of books Paizo giving up on selling those PDFs? I didn't figure we'd see anything so generous.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I'm just amazed at the sense of entitlement, like OBS is somehow obligated to sell products they don't want to be associated with.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

homullus posted:

I do wonder what RPGs would look like from a non-consumer-centric -- or dare I say pre- or post-capitalist -- society. it's just assumed you can buy everything, in tremendous variety, at list price, all the time; this makes sense in a horrific corps-run-everything future like Shadowrun, but makes almost no sense in many other games. The lists are provided so that GMs know how much something is "supposed to cost" as a function of human labor (or in reality, as a function of how the designer pulled numbers out of his rear end), but we inevitably view it as a catalog. Yes, I know some games introduce Rarity and tell you to mark things above list price when selling and below when buying back. In my experience, those rules are rarely enforced consistently, if at all.

The only game I can think of that really just goes a whole other direction with buying gear is Paranoia.

Shadowrun had a Availability rating for gear reflecting the difficulty of acquiring things illegally. A cheap Ares pistol might be available behind any Stuffer Shack, while expensive cyberware might require some connections.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Twitter world rather have roving bands of Nazis harassing people than millions of dollars, which seems like bad priorities to me.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

If you're teaming up with Vox Day on anything, you're pretty much not a good person.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Comrade Koba posted:

2E wasn't that long ago, so I'm not sure the market is ripe for a reprint yet.

2E is 28 years old.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

moths posted:

Hackmaster was basically Pathfinder for 2e, and will forever hold a special place in my heart.

Unfortunately they pitched it as a goofy fun Paranoia-style game, which is the opposite of what you build using the 2e AD&D engine.

The problem is that it's really fun to watch Brian Van Hoose do terrible, terrible things with Hackmaster rules that exist only insofar as Jolly Blackburn needs them to in order to make jokes about D&D. It's not really fun to actually slog through a rulebook that is literally "You know what AD&D 2 needed? Another two hundred pages of crunch."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

There's an old blog post somewhere where somebody dug up old Usenet posts complaining about 2E and 3E being "too video-gamey". It's the oldest, dumbest complaint.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

It really just boils down to a certain TG gamer mindset that things should be harsh, and attempting to be too fair ruins the game. Player characters should be in mortal danger and should die easily, the GM should have the ability to take things away easily, and you as a player should be proud of the hardships you've faced because that is Real Gaming.

Once you've emotionally committed to that mindset, any time a game designer makes a concession to balance or fairness over the "realism" that you feel is core to the game, you're gonna see it as just another step in the pussification of your game.

I'd like to see surveys correlating this and political beliefs.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

Can we seriously put to rest the whole "Likes old games = Voted for Trump" thing? Grognards.txt is gone for a reason.

It's not about "old games", it's about gatekeeping and contempt.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I like Vincent Baker's games but I feel like they generally want the GM to be much more capable of improvising at a high level of detail than I can.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Kurieg posted:

Things I've gleaned from various websites. But the Black Furies are going back to reactionary neo-feminism. E.G. "We won't help save you until you treat your women better.", The Red Talons have somehow managed to convince the rest of the Garou nation to start up a 2nd impergium. The Garou have figured out how to transmit the first change via bite to their kinfolk, but anyone thus-changed is completely sterile, and it's not a 100% guarenteed chance to work, so they're utterly destroying any long term chances of the Garou nation surviving to have a handful of more soldiers now. Also apparently the current leaders of the Nation are heavily implied to be the people who fled from the Last Battlefield during the apocalypse, and they've made a lot of sweeping changes to the Litany (Including a double whammy of "GarouxGarou sex is 100% A-OK but you should kill all Metis on sight)

I'm pretty sure this is all from the By Night Studios LARP book, not neo-White Wolf's next W:tA version. BNS's setting work is generally deviant from everything else and shouldn't be taken as relevant to anything else.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Mors Rattus posted:

They touted that as cocreated with White Wolf, yeah, and Swedracula is, like, the most into LARPing. So into LARPing, you have no idea.

Basically his speeches on WoD have been focused almost exclusively on the LARP experience, with video games being a distant second and tabletop itself almost never brought up.

The kind of LARPing he likes has literally nothing to do with any LARP products ever released by White Wolf, however. BNS will probably either be able to do whatever they feel like because Swedracula gives zero shits about Mind's Eye Theater and thinks it's for dorks orrrrrrrrr Paradox finds a way to cancel their license so MET doesn't mess up their branding with Swedracula's expensive Scandanavian-style LARPs.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I started reading Designers and Dragons based on seeing it mentioned here and it's very good. About to the death and sale of TSR.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

psychopomp posted:

Clade it is then.

Baramin, surely.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

PJOmega posted:

Ive lost the note but every book has three "big words" that I think Butcher must've learned since the previous book. I fortunately zoned out the S&M sequences (the vampire reporter love interest?) The Molly perving was really uncomfortable.

Isn't Molly underage for most of the series?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

If memory serves, the impetus for Vampire: the Masquerade was Mark Rein-Hagen and Stewart Wieck getting excited after seeing Lost Boys.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The worst moment for Rock Paper Shotgun was the Fallout New Vegas review, which you could've mistaken for entirely made up by somebody who didn't actually play the game if not for the little things like a screenshot of a flat desert area intended to show how empty the game was. That screenshot, of course, was taken with the player's back to a giant solar collector facility with a huge tower, rows of solar panels, etc, eliminating the possibility of incompetence and veering right into basic lying.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Either game, hell, get Tale of Two Wastelands and you can play through FO3 in New Vegas.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I love that Midnight Syndicate is getting their latest cd nominated for an ENnie. They do good work.

(Also Plus One Forward is a neat podcast if you like PbtA games.)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

fr0id posted:

I probably didn't word my post correctly, but I was more posting my concerns about the mindset of mocking people who are vehement about free speech. In particular, the same old "lol libertarian hypocrites it's a private company!" thing gets rolled out over and over. It's important to keep some perspective about free speech actually being important and not just a thing that assholes on the internet care about.

The people who are the topic of discussion don't actually care about free speech. Not in any way. What they care about is their desire to face no consequences, contradiction, or stigma, no matter what. They phrase this as free speech because a) they know their desires are unreasonable and people will not be sympathetic to demands for them and b) they know other people value free speech and want to exploit other people's sense of decency for their own benefit. To even phrase a rebuttal in terms of free speech, except to explain how their vehemence is dishonest, is to fall for it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Kurieg posted:

All the changes that RPPR have issues with were pushed in by WWP. I wouldn't be surprised if OPP shies away from pushing out any more 20th anniversary books because of the bad optics.

Yeah, nobody in a decision-making position at White Wolf right now has anything to do with the company that existed in the 90's and aughts.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

It's hardly a new phenomenon that things which seemed progressive and forward-thinking back in the day now seem regressive and gross. That's just progress. "A conservative is yesterday's liberal" is an older idea than any of us.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Kurieg posted:

It doesn't explain why Swedracula is trying to drag us back into the past and making everyone look even worse as a result.

Because he's a particular kind of loser rear end in a top hat.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Kurieg posted:

Also remember the MET rules that got spoiled where the Garou get a rite that lets them turn people with a Bite, but it has like a... 5% survival rate, and they're using it on all of their kinfolk in an idiotic and short sighted attempt to shore up their numbers. Doubly so because the people who survive are rendered sterile.

Which is probably why the nuGarou Nation is so angry about birth control, the people who can breed need to pop out a ludicrous amount of babies to keep up with the rates of attrition they're creating, and they need true breeding garou to keep up their stock of 'recruits'.

the MET book also says nothing about the fact that if the Garou Nation can suddenly do this, [u][b][i]so can the loving black spiral dancers, and they have even less moral compunctions about using it.

I'm like 99% sure that this is By Night Studios not really talking to WWP or OPP and just getting incredibly high on their own farts. MET: Vampire's post-2003 history is also mostly dumb but not nearly as gross and apocalyptic since the toys they're playing with are different- certainly there's nothing as eye-rollingly bad as "also the Gangrel are down with Gaia now" from MET: Werewolf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Technically it's Jyhad, since it's 90's pretentious goth poo poo and all i's must be y.

• Locked thread