Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I liked the system GMT games has used for like 10 years now. They would propose a game and have people "buy" it, which typically involved CC numbers. But customers did not get charged until the game was actually in production. And it would not go into production unless enough people had essentially pre-ordered the game for GMT to break even, which was usually between 500 and 1000 copies. To sweeten the deal you usually got a pretty nice discount off the standard retail price too. But in the grand scheme of TG, these are tiny production runs of games with a relatively narrow audience, they are "those horrible chit games" as one of my friends would put it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

This is exactly how kickstarter works.

I thought KS charged you as soon as the project was "funded"?

In the old GMT P500 system, the game was usually at the printers and not far away from shipping when you finally got charged. Im considering a KS right now where the game won't be out until next January :/

• Locked thread