Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

jivjov posted:

Well, I'm making no decisions on whether to accept a refund or not until I've heard back from Kickstarter about the issue. If Kickstarter is okay with third party utilities, I'll use it this once and more carefully screen my projects from here on. If it turns out that it is against the Kickstarter TOS, Evil Hat will have to come up with a way to make the Kickstarter survey system for for them.

You know that even if you, personally, manage to get this Kickstarter taken to task for using an external pledge manager, there is no way to reissue surveys on Kickstarter, right? You'd either be sinking the Kickstarter or mandating that they take one thousand, seven hundred and fifty backers' slections via the woefully inadequate message system-- which is as good as sinking the Kickstarter. You're a real piece of work, you know that?

quote:

A third party site that I'd never heard of, had not been disclosed to backers until long after payment had been collected, and not officially endorsed by Kickstarter?

A third party site which all of us are familiar with and have assured you is perfectly legitimate. How do you go about acquiring familiarity in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

When you get thrown out of the shop, so to speak, I don't think you can call yourself a customer anymore.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

jivjov posted:

They were able to handle pledges for Fate Core just fine,

It wasn't just fine, that's why they've picked an alternative for this Kickstarter.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

jivjov posted:

None of the 40+ other projects I've backed have required me to use a third party fulfillment site. Maybe my sample size is too small, but that doesn't scream "normal" to me.

Yeah I mean let me just pull out of my own history, 'cause I'm a serial backer...

The following kickstarters used external surveys and/or fulfilment sites:
-The Name of the Wind Playing cards is going to use Backerkit, since Albino Dragon was really happy with how smooth it was with the Synthesis cards (it's in their updates)
-Deadzone uses their own manager
-Albino Dragon's Synthesis playing cards used Backerkit
-Kobolds ate my Baby used Backerkit
-Guilds of Cadwallon used CMON's pledge manager
-Dice Rings used custom offsite surveys

And I mean this is just entirely from memory. Probably about 10-15% of kickstarters I've backed have used external pledge management means.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

That is all.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

jivjov posted:

Yes I do. But it also stands to reason that anyone who's going to be looking closely enough to see "Oh hey, the author of this stretch goal document is the same guy as the layout guy on Misery Index" will be cognizant enough to realize that the layout guy is not responsible for the content of Misery Index.

The association would not be made with the content of Misery Index.

I don't suppose it occurred to you that it isn't about what other people think? That it isn't at all about other people cross-referencing staff? That it might actually be because Gnome/Mikan just don't want to be professionally associated-- even tangentially-- with the Misery Index because they personally think it's deplorable?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Thing too that I don't get is how readily people bandy around the 'if you don't support people who do x in y field, you won't be able to enjoy anything in y field at all eventually' because-- even if you allow that this is true (it's not), how is that really germane to any argument at all? The potential loneliness of a person taking a moral stand doesn't impact the position, and 'if you do this, you'll be bored/lonely' just seems to me to be the most childish of appeals to emotion.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Regardless of if the person doing the layout actually wrote a word of the text, if no one does layout, there is no actual product. If you are the person who has chosen to do layout for this product, you have played a key role in enabling this product's existence-- regardless of whether or not someone else would have done it or not.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

And there's this weird thing like it's some sort of a contest-- like the fact that one set of skeezy tit miniatures is skeezier than another set of tit minatures means that the one set is okay.

I think I wouldn't be bothered half so much by this stuff if they weren't the rule, rather than the exception. One tit miniature in a set, you can even just go 'oh look, it's a tit miniature, ha ha ha', but you can't throw a brick without having it land on a bared brest.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

LightWarden posted:

The lack of female space marines in WH40k seems really strange to me because from what I understand, their lore states that the Imperium of Man is big enough to lose planets due to administrative errors and/or time/space problems, space marine chapters can occasionally get really weird mutations and there's a history of genetic tinkering that skirts around their whole "no mutants" rules, so it doesn't seem to me as though it would be that much of a stretch to have some segments out in the boonies who wound up resorting turning women into angry asexual refrigerators due to some combination of isolation and wacky circumstances. I don't think it would be that hard to add one instance to the lore, which could then be expanded or extrapolated more into existing lore.

Hell poo poo, I'll even allow that it can make a certain kind of sense that there'd be no female space marines, because why would they have a gender at all? No men. No women. Just space marines.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

You know who makes some good minis? These guys. Look at that stuff. Tons of women, and they're all perfectly sensibly dressed-- a couple cases of boobplate, but you know, that is some reasonable-rear end boobplate.

Looks like they're doing elves next per a hidden message in one of their updates. I am so drat excited by that-- a lot of female elves, all dressed reasonably? That's unheard-of.

And look at the results on their KSes, even. They're making a good pile of money doing this, too. I am stupid happy about it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I mean, what games did he have his name all over before Numenera?

I think Iron Heroes was all right. Enough to justify the fame by itself? Nah, but it was a decent game.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Ettin posted:

So, what is it with designers and having problems engaging with forums? Are there any designers (besides Stolze) who interact with the RPG community regularly and not like an idiot?

I don't know that it's unique to RPGs. There's any numbers of authors who are terrible with their fans, people who do video games, whatever.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah the thing is the issue goes a lot beyond sexual anime figurines -- frankly even that claim is wildly disingenuous; the fact is even in Warmachine/Hordes, which does have some very good female models, for every Makeda you've got a Deneghra-- it's still a situation where you're listing off the 'good' models by name instead of saying 'well, a few are bad'. And it gets very very old to see even dynamic female poses erring far more towards the sexy than the powerful.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Bull. loving. poo poo. The vast preponderance of titty models and handwaving it away with claims that it's okay because whatever fabricated loving reason of the second is is exactly what drives away women from the hobby. Women who are-- or were-- interested until they find that these games' baseline treatment of women is horrible, that the sex models are so pervasive it's not even possible to play the game with your own friends and be comfortable.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

It's less, I think, that your wargame must have loads of tits so much as that your women in your wargame must have loads of tits or their rear end sticking out or whatever.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, I mean-- like I am honestly 100% okay with the default for a model having it be of an attractive person. I mean I like when people who aren't attractive are represented, but frankly, when I am painting metal dollies I want to be painting pretty ones so that by itself is okay.

By the same token: I am okay with sexy models. There are actually sexy minis out there that I personally like quite a lot, aesthetically. But sexy is the default position for a female mini. When considering ones that aren't depicted in titilating outfits, poses, or situations, you're picking them out individually, you can't say 'this line's women are mostly not depicted sex objects' (I can think of one exception-- Stonehaven miniatures, who do make a fair bit of money on KS).

And like that's sad. That's depressing. And like-- I like tits too but if I want to look at them I start flipping through tumblr, I don't go 'think I'll go get my wargame on'.

Ugh.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

rkajdi posted:

Boob armour is stupid in general, but I think this is okay as a figure and not in any way exploitative. The entire female Dreadball team seems that way to me-- boobplate is dumb, but I get that it's about the only way to make your female figures look different.

Yeah I'm more or less in this camp. I object to boobplate in pictures but on a mini of wargaming scale, I consider it if not a necessary evil then at least one that isn't inherently bad by itself.

Really though, even in pictures, if the only issue is boobplate, then I'm not gonna get bent out of shape. In a mini, I don't personally think it's a problem.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Six cents a word is considered a professional rate. Three would be fine, I think, for your circumstances; no one expects a pro rate doing this.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I still need to put up the giant poster of the print I bought.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Literally bought a product by them today just because of that.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, I mean, I don't support their prior missteps, not by a long shot, but they seem to be making a valid and genuine attempt to change going forward, and I have a strong expectation that we're going to see a lot less of that sort of thing in subsequent products and revisions.

That being said, I totally understand having an issue with it until it's gone.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

PresidentBeard posted:

Whole lot of people springing to the defense of Monsterhearts.

And...?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

PresidentBeard posted:

It just seems like a bit much for a teen drama RPG. Though I do agree that accusations of whizzard stuff is baseless.

edit: That isn't to say that people enthusiastically defending elf games is any less silly.

It's not a genre I really care for personally but it's as valid a genre as any other, and dismissing it specifically because it draws on a field that owes a lot to YA and romance is kind of a lousy thing to do.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

They're the sorts of games you have on your shelf less to play and more to show off how edgy and cool and mature you are, and there are still a lot of people who despite being grown rear end adults who think that way; the last group I gamed with IRL was very pleased with having the book of erotic fantasy around for just that reason.

I did not play with them for long (for unrelated, more grogs.txt reasons).

neongrey fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Mar 30, 2016

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

FWIW, I am personally familiar with a lot of the places/events/etc this person is talking about, and nothing she's describing sounds unlikely here. Especially not the behaviour of the RCMP and police. The behaviour she's describing is extremely consistent with what I know of them.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

K Prime posted:

Again ignoring previously discussed idiocy, you don't actually know how the legal system works.

That is likely 1-3 months of wages, I'd guess 2. That's usually what you get awarded in cases of wrongful termination. The huge payouts you want don't exist for the little worker.

You get paid for what you lost, in this case, several months of job.

Assuming she was working minimum wage, full time (and she was probably part time) that's actually around 4 and a half months, gross, not net. Maybe more-- minimum wage has gone up since she was working at that store.

This is local to me.

neongrey fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 5, 2016

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Hoo boy. Hoo boy.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I also see Jessica Price and Wes Schneider on there, and you'd think he could be assed to at the very least know the more well-known names of one of his biggest competitors.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Zereth posted:

Didn't doing that drop them a spot to sixth largest?

Yeeeeeep.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

This comes up literally every time this 'SA should do its own award' comes up. Worst game is probably a great way to get shitbags tracking down your home address.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Fortunately we're all terminally depressed sad sacks who welcome the sweet embrace of death.

Hey, I'm certified not depressed*.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

'We' proved to be a miniscule amount of people overall with literally zero result, and exposed people further to their abusers. I think it's actually pretty lovely of you to be saying that people need to be putting themselves into situations known to directly and consistently cause harm to the people who do so.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

How about you go gently caress yourself, you disingenuous sack of poo poo, because the result of that 'worst game' bullshit is exposing people to their abusers, generally people with a known history of doxxing and stalking, and it's not loving victim blaming to say that's not a loving net good.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

thefakenews posted:

I feel like the talk in this thread has exposed a serious underlying problem with the concept of a worst product award voted on by TG posters. Everyone seems to be talking like people such as Zak would get the award, but even people here have always acknowledged that his actual output isn't itself terrible (I don't know personally, I haven't bothered to check it out, but I've seen people here comment that it has at least some value in the gaming material itself). That makes it seem like the assumption is the award will go to the shittiest person, not the shittiest product - which seems to be exactly the kind of dumb trolling that got SA its reputation in the first place.

There's other people in the same family of shitfuckers who do the same kind of poo poo, who do make lovely products. Don't kid yourself into thinking he's the only one.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

Wow, what's been happening? Taken over by nazi frog alt-righters?

I mean he comes right out and says in that statement that there's been at least one stalking incident.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

And everybody entrenched in a given forum becomes convinced that they're the one exception. :v:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Context only matters so much, with both Lovecraft and Howard (or with anyone). You can talk all day about how racist one might "expect" them to be, or how racist they were relative to the times.

But the fact remains that we're not taking in their works in the time that it was written; we're reading them now, and with our current lens upon them. It only matters so much if it was acceptable at the time; should we not be bothered by what was considered acceptable? Is someone wrong for not wanting to read/etc something that is, straight-up, pretty racist?

Like, it is not okay; the fact that it was considered so once does not make it so. That doesn't mean the work has no merit, but it does mean it's got a fair bit of racism in it. I don't think we should be shying away from that or writing it off as being a distasteful part of a time capsule.

There is merit in considering the cultural mores that went into the creation of a work, but those mores don't change the resultant work and I think it's ultimately a bit of a distraction when they're brought up when someone tries to go "yeah this is kind of racist". There's an unspoken, implied "it's more okay because of the culture of the time", even if it isn't necessarily intended.

And yeah, I think when taking in something like Conan or Lovecraft's works, it's good to keep in mind the racial biases pressed forward by the works. Taking it as a given as being part of the work goes toward normalizing it, and god knows nerds as a collective love to roll around in excuses to be historically racist.

I love me some Conan but the racism needs to be confronted, not waved off.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

That's the other thing too, shunting it off as being of its time is a great way to divorce ourselves from the racism (etc) of our own time. It takes as given that we are somehow better, when, I mean, collectively sure, everyone can use the same water fountain, but let's not kid ourselves; we're not doing as much better as we'd like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

This is the exact same stunt he's been pulling since the Dongion at the very least.

• Locked thread