Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
The originators of the awards thing were jocularly regressive, VD&co are basically just stormfront. There's overlap. It's not total, but it's the 'ethics in games journalism' of SFF, except there actually are ethical concerns in games journalism, unaddressed as they went as part of their being used as a fig leaf.

neongrey fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Ah, ironic fascism.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I could not tell you how or why, but this game has always bizarrely fascinated me.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

homullus posted:

Did you play it? I remember a lot of voodoo references and finding that I was maybe underleveled for the game's final stretch, since I could only kill all the ridiculous killer clowns by going full auto with some gun or ammo that was pretty rare . . . and otherwise not liking it nearly as much as I had Wasteland.

God no, which makes the fascination even more inexplicable. I read an LP a few years back.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

As far as minmaxing goes, I think part of what gives it such a bad rap is that in most cases, players don't do it evenly. It becomes an rear end in a top hat thing to do not because knowing the system is bad but because usually in a group, only one person cares all that much about it. And when a system allows severe power differentials between characters, you end up having one person stealing the show and everyone else left in the dirt. It really isn't a problem if everyone is doing it, but how often is everyone doing it, and how often is everyone doing it to the same degree?

Like I remember back in the last irl campaign I was in (the one I left because everyone thought it was hilarious that the paladin decided his god was Niger, and it's not racist because it was named after the country, never mind how it was actually being used). And it was 3.5 which is the lowest hanging fruit as far as power differentials go, but whatever.

Anyway I went in with what would have been a fairly modest build in the games I had been playing PBP, like a wizard but nothing particularly bonkers, the cheapest thing I did was specialize as diviner and bar evocation which was fairly common wisdom at the time. Fairly low level stuff with combat expected to be frequent, so I packed a bunch of grease spells. loving trivialized every encounter because I was the only one, player or dm who actually knew what my poo poo did and how to apply it. And that was the problem, not the fact that I did it at all.

Of course a lot of the classic player problems come from everyone not being on the same page so this is no different, but yeah, it is a problem when the system allows players with different awareness of the system able to trivialize each other, sometimes even without realizing it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I personally really like randomness (I prefer in play to react to things entirely out of my own control and to interpret results and work out how the random thing occurred) but I like a lot of stuff that has fallen out of vogue for extremely good reasons. Like tables.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

There's good randomness and bad randomness though. Randomness in and of itself isn't a bad thing, it merely gets used a lot in poorly thought out ways in a lot of RPGs without any further consideration than "random = good." Not knowing the result of deciding to take a course of action is one thing, "I rolled a 1 for my starting hitpoints so the first time a goblin nicks me with a rusty spoon I guess I'll die" is something entirely different. And even then, randomizing stuff like stats and hitpoints can be fine if the game is built from the ground up to be that sort of game, but plenty of people have enshrined stuff like rolling hitpoints and "3d6 six times in order" as a sacred text despite even the game with D&D on the cover no longer being that game these days.

Sure, but that was far more of a response to the notion that all randomness being bad which I posted right after. :v:

(I do actually like 3d6 in order because I like working out what kind of life led would result in those results, but I also like tossing sets of rolls where the answer is "not one that I want to play" so)

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Wil Wheaton is repellently bad on camera and I don't understand how he still has a popular following. I mean, he's a perfectly nice guy and I genuinely like him, but my god, he is always fake-"on" in a really awful way. I imagine him trying to promote a product to the general public would actually hurt sales.

I mean his brand was literally kicked off on the strength of "that guy you hated is actually pretty nice", I think he is kind of boned.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

not a dog kobold, 0/10

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Lotta talk about where dog kobolds come from, not a lot of talk about how they are objectively superior. :colbert:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

they're watching you gently caress.

No they aren't. :smith:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Lowtax was hardly the only person empowered to demod and ban a dude.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Reene posted:

It's crippling for per-post people but it's been a big deal to monthlies too. A lot of patrons spread small dollar amounts across a larger number of creators and those donations are being pulled like crazy. I do not know a single creator on Patreon that has not been hemorrhaging patrons. The bigger creators can weather that, but a lot of people can't. I run a monthly and in the last three days I have lost over 20% of my Patreon income to give you an idea of how bad it is.

It's me, I'm the one creator who hasn't been hemhorrhaging patrons. Of course, I have a very small number of high rollers all of whom are die-hards and the total goes directly into an art budget. This is not a feasible use-case for basically anyone using the platform at all. In the first day or so before it became clear just how badly Patreon in general is throwing small creators under the bus, intentionally, I might add, I was pretty solidly in the 'yeesh this is a bad decision but probably not as bad as people are saying' camp.

It's me, I'm the one who was wrong. This is as bad as people are saying.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

jivjov posted:

From what I understand, they're still only gonna bill your card once...Patreon is tacking on all the fees on the back end.

No they've explicitly stated that this is a move towards de-aggregating payments. They're not doing that immediately, but.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Then I don't know WHY they're sending all their personal info to me, because that's where the stuff gets mis-sent.

I'm pretty sure there's a gmail account for a neongray and I get their email sometimes. They seem into art.

• Locked thread