Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Tekopo posted:

It's me, I'm the guy that says 'fun' shouldn't be used in order to review games. It actually lead me to create my own reviews in order to avoid using the word altogether. I actually think that subjective criticism of something is unavoidable when discussing games/films/etc since biases do appear even when trying to be objective, but subjectivity isn't a bad thing as long as the reviewer recognises that he has inherent biases and that they are going to colour his review of a particular game. I think there are way too many people that do not realise this and mix up 'stuff that I don't personally like' with 'stuff that is objectively bad'. That is not to say that there aren't objective criteria that we can use to review a game and decide if the game is badly designed: for board games it mostly relies on rules interactions, production values etc. I think someone in the board game thread made a good point of how in isolation, lengthy games don't make bad games, but if you add to that things like highly random results or 'screw-the-leader' situations that artificially lengthen the game, the length of a game can be a problem. I think that although currently board game reviews don't really go into enough analysis of how rules interact with each other, it's an important step in making the review of board game more objective.

I haven't really played an RPG in quite some time, but I think the above would be more difficult to do with RPGs than for board games. Although it is still possible to analyse rule interactions in an RPG, due to the fact that RPGs are more open-ended (and that a part of the community actively campaigns against attempts to make RPGs more tightly regimented), it would be difficult to analyse rulesets without descending into subjectivity, since things that are considered bad design by some can be actively liked by others (f.ex. caster supremacy). Within board game, it's hard to find someone that likes getting elimated early in a highly random 2 hour long game.

It is a store...wait?

For RPGs, I think you can reasonably critique a system on three elements- it's unlikely you'll get a "fun/not-fun" final ruling out of that kind of analysis.

1) System support of the game's design intentions: does the system actively support what the designers lay out as the "point" of the game? Does it emulate the genre it preports to emulate well? Does it give mechanical backing to the themes? If the game claims combat is gritty or tactical or something, do the rules seem to bear that out? This is slightly subjective- but I feel like this is where the "good D&D system" issue comes up not because of subjectivity in the metric, but because somehow both D&D fans and now both Paizo and WotC have tried to define new editions of D&D as "trying to be D&D", which is a complete non-starter for analysis.

2) System innovation: Here, it's valuable just to see if/how the system addresses problems differently from similar products. Does the system have XP even if it doesn't fit with theme or play? Is everything just dice pools or stat+attribute? Even systems with issues or failures still can be important if it approaches a classic RPG problem in a unique way.

3) Technicalities of play: does the system seem to require a lot of dice rolling or a little? How much math is involved? How long do turns last, and are players left bored? Here you can get pretty objective, but only by avoiding value judgments on the observations.

While I don't know if you can develop a jargon from those methods above, I think it's a pretty good framework for analyzing systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread