Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mors Rattus posted:

Incidentally, on WotC and hateful speech: I learned yesterday from Mark Rosewater's blog that at tournaments, use of misogynistic or hateful speech is now against the rules - if you witness someone using slurs or stuff like 'that deck raped me' they encourage you to call over a judge to handle the situation. This, I think, is a real cool thing.

Whoa, nice. I can't wait to finally be able to use this in tournaments instead of just calling people out on their poo poo. :getin:

e: just looked at his blog and didn't see anything about it. Link please?

e2: thank you \/ \/ \/

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gerund posted:

I waiting to see the first "Pro Tour Qualifer" level player or above catch a game loss for saying stuff that gets said pretty much on the regular by people not known as LSV. It's nice to paean to the Judge's authority but the de facto reality is not a lot of regular players are going to make waves in a (weakly) closed society.

Well, I'm more concerned that judges won't apply any real penalties as they should be. I know the judges working at certain local stores would do so but I know others won't.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

jivjov posted:

This is a really good sign for the health of the hobby as a whole.

Is it, though? I mean, they're admitting there's a problem, but I don't see much actual action being taken. People won't call anyone out on it. I mean, whatever happened with xbox live banning or suspending you for hate speech? That was a ~big deal~ a year or two ago and I don't think that was ever actually enforced.

paradoxGentleman posted:

What's LSV mean in this context?

He is a wizard poker professional who is the only one I know of that isn't full of poo poo.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Has Kibler done something lovely lately?

No. He just mostly plays hearthstone instead while walking away in disgust at MTGO sometime last year so I don't count him anymore. He's still v fashionable iirc.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

gourdcaptain posted:

Then again, given that apparently grogs thought 4e was an abomination for not having Gnomes in core, he might have a marketing point here. (Never got that in the slightest- Gnomes are easily the least popular standard D&D race by far from personal experience.)
I have very good taste and gnome illusionist was my favorite 4e class so :mad:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Grognards should be pissed off as much as possible. Pretty sure that the more sacred cows you burn, the better designed game you have.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

WTF is this poo poo? Seriously. Who ever used this? Who's gonna get mad about this going away? :psyduck: I started with 3e and never has this poo poo come up. I remember seeing this in the rulebook and it was just a neat observation. "Oh, this must be how the wizards do astronomy." That's it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Halloween Jack posted:

My armchair assessment of Dancey is that he has 2 things going for him: one, the gift of gab, and two, having been associated with an important product, once. Guys like that can keep getting work based on the properties they've been associated with, taking all the credit while assigning blame for any failures to other people. He's the Vince Russo of the RPG industry.
Summary
My life goal is to identify the hardest available problems, and then try to solve them creatively.

I excel at business process engineering, strategic analysis, and customer segmentation.

I enjoy leading large teams of professionals.

My previous experience includes:

* Intense startup experience as CEO from initial concept to product launch
* Increased sales of a 5 year-old MMO by 50% in 3 years (EVE Online)
* Leading the team that created the 3rd Edition of Dungeons & Dragons
* Creating a successful marketing consultancy
* Co-created Legend of the Five Rings IP

Specialties: Business plan development

Marketing plan development

Organizational structure & goal setting

Separating the "wheat" from the "chaff" of tactics vs. strategy

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

moths posted:

I'm very OK with stripped-down, budget editions of rulebooks. Full color glossy pages are great, but I get more table use out of B&W POD editions since I can write margin notes, use highlighter, pencil in errata, etc.

It's also a lot easier to spend $10 on something like the Savage Worlds explorer edition or $25 on the Kings of War player's edition.

The current model works pretty well since I can buy a PDF and print my own "reference edition" of important sections for the table.

Do they make "binder edition" RPGs with holes cut out on each page? Those are my favorite versions of textbooks, especially since you can put them in a smaller binder as "chunks" dedicated to a particular midterm/section, and I think they'd be really useful for RPGs.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That Old Tree posted:

Rolemaster Standard System had three-hole-punched books with perforated pages. Apparently the idea was that you could make a master binder containing only the rules options you wanted to use, excluding all the rest, but a) very few people want to do that to their books, and b) people who play RMSS are the types that will cram all those optional, sometimes mutually exclusive rules into a single game.
It works fine for college textbooks, which I imagine is what RPG books should aspire to look like (but won't). They're so useful but also much cheaper.

e.g. For both players and GMs. Imagine being able to take all the pages from all the sourcebooks you needed for your class/tree and specifically organizing it for your character. You could always do this electronically, but I imagine for a lot of people like myself, they enjoy the ability to look things up on a physical medium. I usually prefer it since the only thing electronic versions have is easier specific navigation, but I've always found it clunkier to use than thumbing through my own handwritten+paper copy notes.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 10, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JerryLee posted:

Wages haven't really kept pace with inflation either, have they? I'm not an economist or anything, but that's what I've always read (from progressive sources, at least). The guy literally trying to say "inflation doesn't exist" in FMguru's quote is obviously full of poo poo, but that doesn't mean that inflation has lifted all the proverbial boats equally.

It might well not be the publishers' fault that consumers generally are less and less likely to have the amount of money necessary to comfortably buy things at a "fair" price, but it sure as poo poo isn't the fault of said consumers, again generally speaking.

They haven't. It's one of the basic graphs you're shown and expected to learn in an intermediate macro class, after reviewing logs. Depending on the prof's whim, you get more or less into labor econ. But that's a neat class and subject on its own.

Oh lol:

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

They haven't, productivity has gone up immensely over the last 20 years but wages haven't gone up to match for the average worker.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 11, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dr. Buttass posted:

While we're talking about people, and this might be a minor nitpick in the grand scheme of things but it hacks me right off, avoid certain creatures always being evil. If orcs are always evil then there's no real conflict and they're not really evil. They're just doing what orcs do,
I enjoyed the whole post but especially this. I've habitually left RPG circles these last couple years cuz of this poo poo. It's entirely too boring and when I realize the GM's doing it, I pretty much just leave the group and do other stuff like weeb out or paint minis again. Paranoia and star wars were the only fun RPs I've done recently and a lot of that was our GM letting us try to recruit stormtroopers.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Leperflesh posted:

There's room for that kind of game, rkajdi (and it's the kind of game I want to play, incidentally), but there's also a place for players who just want a very familiar fantasy setting with cartoon ethics where you can go to town on some orcs without having to feel guilty or examine your motives.

But there's obviously been a glut of the latter type for 30 years now, so I do agree that it'd be nice to have more exploration of the former. Unfortunately, it seems like a number of attempts at a more "mature" grey areas type game, can't quite help themselves not be horrible shitbags and throw in rape, torture, misogyny, etc. into the mix, because "mature themes" has to mean that to some people.

I think this is it and it's really too bad. I liked games like Dogs in the Vineyard and I'm looking forward to trying some games of Kingdom or Microscope with friends over the summer. It's really weird that mature themes all focus on fetishes. The funny thing is that even in the black and white world of star wars, it's much easier to involve complex characters when their statline isn't encouraged by alignment and the improv style of play makes for better attempts at traditionally (for RPGs) risky behavior like engaging in enemies in a non-destructive manner.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

moths posted:

One worst thing about fantasy is that nerds can never accept a trained warrior capable of killing / incapacitating anyone with a single strike.

A thing that's literally happened for as long as humans have fought is somehow "less believable" than the mystical magical weird wizard show.

It's funny because every single time I've started any type of martial arts aimed at actually killing your opponent, the instructors always tell you that it's not like the movies and your fight is likely to end in a couple seconds if that. There's a lot of emphasis placed on the opening move from the very beginning. Even sport fencing places a lot of emphasis on this move.

Meanwhile wizards have the time necessary to do the mental calculations and wizard-engineering needed to construct a carefully placed atomic bomb without killing their cohorts. :allears:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Given the popularity of Jojo on the internet (so p much everyone who'd ever play an RPG nowadays), I will be disappointed if further implementations of fighters in new rulesets don't automatically give them sweet abilities or make them muscle wizards. Imagine instead of dumb animal familiars you get Stands. :allears:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Leperflesh posted:

But most importantly, 4E divorced the mechanics of powers from their fluff descriptions, so you absolutely could build a "fighter guy" capable of fantastical, supernatural achievements and feats. Not just a super-really-good but mundane fighter whose goodness is mostly down to being draped in the magic other people made. If you wanted to declare that all of your "melee attacks" were actually your fighter casting magic bolts of steel from his supernatural muscles, you can, and there's nothing in the game that would invalidate that. Plus you could just go ahead and take magic powers. And by the time you were well into your paragon path, you probably were capable of supernatural things, just by default.
I've tried explaining this to my grognard friend (but great otherwise, he just hang weird hangups about 4.0 compared to 3.5/PF) over and over again and it never takes. I say that it's great that the description is separate from the mechanics of the power/action/verb, but he says it was nice the way 3.5 did it in that it allowed for you to get creative with what powers could do. Essentially, that the description being embedded with the mechanics is better for flavor reasons. It feels like we talk past each other on this point and that there's a chance we might actually be agreeing, but it's a really frustrating point of contention I've had with other grogs too.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Someone who should be banned and gotten their videos taken down for any excuse got a light flick on the wrist instead.

There’s now a rallying call for CHUDs using the Facebook magic for 🅱️Ad page
E: page is led by Travis Woo, known MTG semipro who makes anti-Semitic “Hitler is misunderstood” rants

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 26, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kwyndig posted:

It's all arbitrary anyway, rarity is meaningless without demand, just look at all the listings on ebay for defunct card games.

It also doesn’t really matter for playing anymore. You can order cheap fakes from :china: that might not be the best but are indistinguishable under 2-3 layers of plastic.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Desiden posted:

:agreed:

Though I think the more important fiscal aspect is the underlying message here about the consumer base. The more the alt-right manbabies throw tantrums, the more it seems to me that "fiscal consequences" are the primary underlying fear. Not that they don't hate women or minorities, but a lot of the hostility towards diversity in different circles seems focused on de-legitimizing the idea that companies doing so are doing it for economic reasons moreso than moral. Its "SJWs forcing their ideology" as a narrative, because the alternative would be recognizing that women and minorities represent an economic opportunity for companies. The sum of all fears for that type is that companies will do the math and conclude that lost sales from banning shitheads like this one are more than made up for by making their markets friendlier to other groups.

Which is, specifically in this case, why the symbolism of the ban is more damaging than the reality (since apparently MTGheadquarters wasn't heavily involved in sanctioned stuff anyway). Its basically a message to MRAs that their economic importance is limited, and that putting up with their poo poo isn't an economic necessary evil for the company. It strikes to the heart of all their insecurities.

Now if only Twitter could figure that out too....

(Though to be honest, Twitter's whole model of business is such a stumbling shitshow they may well need to humor the manbabies to keep the thing staggering on)
This is exactly right. (Heh) A lot of the nerd self-image is based on consumerism and brand loyalty. To find out that their brand loyalty is worth nothing, that the only thing the Company cares about is profits not from whom, hurts feelings. It’s like the old “no ethical consumption under capitalism” but for a different crowd.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Did not find any rants about the positive aspects of "cards against humanity" :confused:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Plutonis posted:

What is this about MTG tournament judges being kiddy fiddlers and wotc covering them up because I just heard about it from a guy i know

So this happened and the guy’s out. However, the reason you’re hearing about it from the community is because of the MTGHQ Jeremy (harassing female cosplayers and asking his goons to do so, other MRA bullshit and tactics) guy who keeps shitposting and implying he got banned for memes while kiddy fiddlers can be judges.

I agree that WOTC should require background checks for judges due to their proximity to children the same way they do in Pokémon TCG.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Alien Rope Burn posted:

People want representation and to be able to play what they are in real life in a game loosely set in a mirror of the real world. You can use the word "agenda" to try and make that somehow sound sinister or manipulative, but it really isn't. Saying "No, they can't" is an arbitrary restriction created by the authors, which is particularly ironic given it's a game about changing forms.

Not a hard concept. Well. Maybe it's hard for you.

Space Marines are for BOYS ONLY. Reeeee girls get out!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Plutonis posted:

That should be pretty obvious yes

The reason that was included is because of the argument MTGHQ is making. It’s a deflection, make no mistake about the reason it’s a thing

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Comrade Gorbash posted:

The people you're parodying there use REEEE to imply "autistic screeching."

That's easy to lose the thread of because "autistic screeching" isn't an actual thing, and they're blatantly projecting their own awful and irritating behavior on others, as usual. But still probably a thing to avoid.

Right. I know it’s the sound the frogs make and unfortunately the Chill Pepe :feelsgood: peeing with your pants down was coopted by unsavory people. I’ve used it to parody those people because as you said autistic screeching isn’t real but I suppose avoiding it is better here.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bar Crow posted:

How would they even make a power armor bikini? It just wouldn't make sense.

Obviously you've never seen the Emperor's Custodes and are out of touch with the current lore.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I would like to read about philosophical musings on the Vampiric Platonic ideal.

e: nightwatch was a good book. These games sound similar to that type of world. Is their fiction as good?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Counterfeiter santa, please make new copies of the board games Dune and Die Macher. :pray:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

admanb posted:

Nothing fires this thread up like a chance to bitch about other forums.

It's what happens when we don't have grognards.txt nor the GW death thread :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Quixotic1 posted:

I've slowly turned family and friends and shown them the breath of tabletop games, where they once though stratego and risk was the pinnacle of gaming, they now ask me to bring Chinatown and FCM at gatherings.

Nice, but Stratego IS the pinnacle of tabletop games. It just happens to be the kid version, while the adult version is called Napoleon’s Triumph.

• Locked thread