Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Ok, so I have something I want to talk to you guys about. You are all very vocal about Kickstarter so that's why I am asking you.

I am planning a Kickstarter, hoping for late summer. I want to Make and distribute some Laser Cut MDF terrain, of my own design.
The laser will already be paid for (it will be delivered beginning of June, already ordered). The designs will be complete, and the instructional materials will already be done.

There is literally no risk to the backer, and I don't NEED the money to do the project, I actually want to do the Kickstarter for two reasons, 1) To make back some, or all of the money I spent on the laser. 2)To share my terrain with people.

I have no intention of mass producing the terrain, or selling it at retail.

What do you think about this as a project? It's not really raising funds for completing the project, and its not really a pre-order as its the only way someone will be able to get what I am offering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Fenarisk posted:

Let's approach this from a really pessimistic investing standpoint.

Stating you already have the materials is good, as is showing off some designs and mockups so people realize they have no perceived risk.

I wouldn't even mention 1, since people will likely see they don't need to really fund it to get stuff, and it's more in their interest to get something out of their money than to just help some guy recoup costs from his hobby. I would reword it to say you're almost there for the laser you want, or that the money spent for the laser is not yet spent due to budgeting concerns for the project. 2 isn't a bad thing to mention since it might pull on feel-good strings but not too much, as the people backing still get something for themselves.

I think this is a big boon, so make it a real focusing point. If people can only get these through kickstarter they may back it much more readily, and with much more dollars. In addition you could always do a once a year kickstarter as the only way to get this stuff!

I think it's a great idea personally, I just want to make sure you succeed really well and can maybe make it a regular thing if you wanted, while also getting good word of mouth and backer numbers/dollars.

Thanks, this was really helpful feedback. If anyone else has anything to add, please do.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
That's a fair point, maybe never isn't the way to go, maybe hold a Kickstarter once or twice a year to sell my designs, and new ones I will inevitably come up with. For me making terrain is as fun, if not in many cases more fun than actually playing the games they are meant for.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Crackbone posted:

If you really want to drive business, maybe you could stipulate that additional orders will only be possible if you backed the Kickstarter? That creates a nice feeling of exclusivity.

That is an interesting idea. I wonder how people would take it.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
These are all very good points, I guess I wouldn't mind setting up a store after a set time and doing it at a pace I can manage. That way anyone who backed would have exclusivity to order more for a while. Then I could eventually open it up to other people. I have pleanty of room in my shot for multiple machines if I wanted I suppose.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Lakedaimon posted:

I thought KS charged you as soon as the project was "funded"?

It does indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

dwarf74 posted:

Just got my Fate Dice backerkit link. Holy poo poo was that smooth and easy. It recognized my extra money, I easily picked out my dice, and I have a link to manage my pledge. Just awesome.

I don't know why every somewhat complicated kickstarter doesn't use it.

Yeah, I already decided I will be using it for my next Kickstarter.

• Locked thread