Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Winson_Paine posted:

Why is it harsh, why do you find this unreasonable? We are going to make a good poster out of you yet.

CLOCK SUSPENDED

I actually just arrived at work, if you would like me to, I will be glad to elaborate when my lunch break hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Winson_Paine posted:

Why is it harsh, why do you find this unreasonable? We are going to make a good poster out of you yet.

CLOCK SUSPENDED

A lot of the disagreement was me taking a much more...involved definition of 'association'. I was looking at it from a "who actually created the sword-rape content and who is just doing layout work" whereas the Inverse World folks were using a much more general "he worked on a thing that we don't like". From my end of things, I see it as harsh that a guy who did not write one single word of Oldest Cruelest Sword is being judged by said content. However, if the the goal is "I want as many degrees of separation between that project and ours" then it's perfectly reasonable from that context.

I understand that consequences exist, but the way I saw it "you no longer get to write a stretch goal that X number of backers were to receive" seemed disproportionate to the act of "did layout". Were I in charge of inverse World, I probably would have gone with
including a small disclaimer that Inverse World and all authors and contributors thereof are not affiliated with and do not support Misery Index et all, and perhaps refraining from working with that layout guy in the future.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I guess the one distinction I've been drawing that's been the main subject of discussion is "author" vs "layout artist".

While I do wholeheartedly agree that if you accept an offer to work on a project you're giving some manner of stamp of approval on it. However I've been plotting the culpability for that on a sliding scale, from 'lead author' to 'head artist' to 'layout guy' to 'lawyer on retainer who helped you with the copyright notice' all the way down to 'sandwich shop worker who you let look at a draft cause he asked about it'

I personally see "did layout work" as a much looser involvement than a lot of other jobs in getting the finished product together, at least in terms of the content (rather than presentation, the layout guy is very much involved in presentation). That said, I don't know how much a typical layout guy actually has to do with the internal content, so I may be way off on that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

moths posted:

I saw this in the Reaper thread and maybe it could use some discussion over here.

This is probably one of the most well-crafted CYA advisories I've seen. From here KS could do anything between absolutely nothing to eliminating stretch goals, and then point at this message and cite this message as warning of it. Although if stretch goals get barred, they'll probably just be moved off-site to the fulfillment pages and KS can claim even less responsibility for them.

Stretch goals are tricky no matter how they're done. Look at something like Fate Core; super low initial goal (which they hit in, what, 2 hours tops?) with a campaign designed around adding more and more and more content. Then you look at something like Project Eternity (not Trad Games, I know) where the last couple stretch goals were really iffy if there's be enough funding for them. And then there's lots of projects that barely squeak past the initial funding goal, regardless of the posted stretch goals.

It really comes down to the individual project; do you want to only promise a bare bones thing and make it fancier later? Or ask for a larger funding goal that may not be reached at all? I personally prefer projects that go with the former; I'd rather have a less fancy thing than see a cool project go unfunded.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Something I just stumbled upon; the official Kickstarter FAQ makes mention of stretch goals (though not by that name):

Kickstarter FAQ posted:

What happens when a project is overfunded?
When a project is overfunded backers sometimes wonder: what happens with all that “extra” money? If a creator has a funding goal of $5,000 and raises $25,000, what do they do with the $20,000 they didn’t ask for?

What the creator does in that case varies greatly depending on the project.

Most of the time what seems like “extra” money isn’t extra at all. Ten times the funding often means ten times the backers. More rewards have to be produced and distributed, and creators need that funding to do it (and sometimes some of their own money too).

Sometimes when a project is overfunded it lets the creator put that money back into the project to create something better for the backers and themselves. More songs on an album, additional game elements, better materials, etc.

In other cases, overfunding leads to better margins and the creator may even profit from the project. This often also means that the creator can continue the project beyond Kickstarter and backers are part of that story.

Emphasis mine.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mikan posted:

That "this is a hobby and you should do it for the love of the game" bullshit is toxic and awful. Folks deserve to get paid for their work, and if people feel it's worth shelling out money then awesome.

Well, there's a difference between "Here's a 50 page setting guide" and "here's a front-and-back character sheet I slapped together in Word '98"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
For small amateur stuff (like my aforementioned "here's a character sheet you can fill in"), I think the best way to handle it is PWYW. Either a formalized Pay What You Want payment option or just a personal blog with a "Like my stuff? Here's my donate link" thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I got a bunch of anonymous hate and abuse for selling a 64-page full art supplement with a color cover, internal hyperlinking table of contents and index, a share-alike creative commons license with no watermarking in the pdf and an upcoming PoD version for 7.50$. Most wanted it cheaper. A few said I was a terrible person for not simply giving it away to everyone for free and asking for any money at all. You can see it has an award for being a bestseller on its site, and it still hasn't made its cost back in sales. A post made by Fred Hicks even inspired me to speak out about it. (And all credit due to Hicks for taking a stance.)

If everyone could be convinced that the hobby shouldn't be on a constant hunger-and-shoestring budget, I'd be the first to fully embrace working in it. But open gaming licenses and PWYW models have created new expectations, and those expectations are that people will do work for them for free or else.

When Mounted Combat was released, my kneejerk reaction was "man...$7.50 is kinda a lot for something so small" but then I bought in and saw how much work had gone into it, it was totally worth the $7.50 and more besides.

With the advent of places like DriveThru, where anyone with an account can start selling stuff and anyone with Microsoft Word can make said stuff, I think the problem is half "gamer entitlement" and half "deluge of half baked poo poo". I compare it to Steam Greenlight, where anyone can toss up their Indie game project and try to get it approved to be sold on Steam. Many of the projects are utter crap, thrown together in a couple hours in GameMaker to try to make a quick buck.

I think the current TradGames environment is similar in several ways. Things like Kickstarter, DriveThru and Print-on-Demand have made it easier than ever for someone to create and self-publish and sell a game. However, that leads to a whole lot of projects that just don't have huge art, QA, playtesting, and marketing funds behind them that companies like GW, FFG, and Wizards can utilize.

Someone sees "64 pages, PDF, $7.50" without it being from a big name publisher or big-name game (although Dungeon World becoming a big name is happening more and more) sets off knee-jerk reactions from some people.

I think in a couple more years when more indie and small press projects start getting more attention, the trend will decline, but for now we're stuck in a world where if it isn't from one of the bigger names, people want it for peanuts.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kai Tave posted:

The only difference between this and the RPG market of ten or even five years ago is simply that it's easier for people to self-publish, as you point out, not a matter of quality. "Deluge of half-baked poo poo" can easily describe plenty of games put out by ostensibly "professional" RPG publishers. Catalyst's latest edition of Shadowrun is rife with atrocious editing and rules that I doubt were even read by playtesters let alone actually playtested, White Wolf has a rich history of producing games that turn into complete messes, FFG is infamous for lousy editing, Rifts is Rifts, etc.

I don't think quality has anything to do with it in the sense that games produced by publishers with name recognition are no more guaranteed to not be poo poo than games produced by J. Random Dorklord with a pirated copy of InDesign and some ideas for a cool RPG in his head.

I didn't mean to come across as making a sweeping generalization on the quality of small/indie press. My prime point is that indie stuff that's poo poo tends to look like poo poo at first glance. A poorly formatted document. A no-art block of 20 pages of text that says nothing. Stuff like that. Professionally published stuff from the bigger companies can still totally be poo poo, but there tends to be a lot more production values that can mask it. You mention FFG's editing. I love the poo poo out of my 500 page full color hard-back tome that is Edge of the Empire. But yeah, there's more than a few typos hanging out between those covers. But at first glance, FFG's stuff is gonna look a hell of a lot "better" than something put together by a couple of people using some simple PDF authoring tools.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If GenCon was in Lee's Summit I would totally go. That's within spitting distance of my house.

Anyway, there's always the Overland Park Convention Center, I'm rather fond of that venue.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
As far as GMS goes, his tweets about GenCon were actually semi reasonable.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dumnbunny posted:

I'm often bemused by the claim that RPG books cost too much. If anything, they cost too little.

I think the "costs too much" complaint is mostly coming from people new to the hobby, comparing RPG books to other hardcovers of similar pagecount. A novel is the written work of one or two people, with a handful of editors and publishing staff, and usually with only a couple of art pieces (front cover, back cover, maybe an title page illustration or two). RPG books have a much higher number of people (and thus work) involved in their creation. I know a couple people that never thought about it that way until it was explained to them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Everblight posted:

Saint's Row IV :colbert:

Kinzie's in particular. Especially if you talk to her again afterwards.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah; complete anecdote...but every time I try to tell a friend or coworker just what it is that I'm up to on Tuesday nights the conversation goes something like this: "Well...its like D&D but I don't actually use that game. Its a different tabletop RPG. Yes, there are others."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Tough posted:

George Lucas' treatment of Star Wars fans came pretty close

That's honestly a bit of butthurt revisionist history, really...That's actually been brought up in the Star Wars thread over in CineD over the last couple days, and isn't quite as true as it gets parroted.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Leperflesh posted:

George Lucas' treatment of his own films has been awful. But his treatment of fans has been pretty great. He's always been highly supportive of fan-made Star Wars content, for example, actively encouraging fans to do their fanfilms and stuff, the whole cosplay scene, all that. Which stands in stark contrast with GW, who send C&Ds and actively sue fans for daring to sully their IP.

Yeah, this is the core of it.

There's this weird mythology built up that Lucas makes tweaks and changes to his films to actively spite fans, and that the prequel movies were intentionally poorly made, and that everything good in Star Wars came from one of the other people working on the saga.

By his own admission, Lucas doesn't work well with people. He's the "ideas guy" and really needs a good crew to handle other duties.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Yeah, I'm not inclined to set metaphorical foot in that muck to dig up a grain of value. A quick summary or link to where the discussion starts, please?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514675&pagenumber=601&perpage=40#post447656368

Here's a good one.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The trick of Star Wars EU though, is that before Disney the story group was just there for guidance and had to retcon a lot of stuff after the fact. Now, post-Disney, the story group has explicit authority to maintain one unified continuity, and all the non-film stuff is considered to have the same canonical weight as the films.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
A lot of the complainers seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of how freedom of speech works. Yeah, if some guy wants to make and publish "tournament of rapists", they're certainly free to do so...but DriveThru is under no obligation to host it on their site.

People are mistaking "freedom of speech" for "freedom from criticism" and some kind of weird obligation for any platform to enable their speech.

On a very tiny other hand, though, I do wish the official policy was a bit more specific than "we'll know it when we see it". Some basic guidelines would not be amiss there. But i do applaud the CEO for taking personal responsibility.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I could get behind having to have an account. (But not a purchase requirement), just so any assholes who submit fake flags can get shut down.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kurieg posted:

Didn't they pull Rey toys off the shelves because they had a lightsaber?

The Rey figures with the saber were streetdated to not come out until a day or two after the movie, to preserve the surprise. Some stores put them out and sold them early. One guy posted a picture of said figure, that he had walked into a Wal-mart and purchased legitimately on the Star Wars Action News facebook page. The post got taken down and that guy got a several-day ban from Facebook for "copyright infringement".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mors Rattus posted:

Incidentally, on WotC and hateful speech: I learned yesterday from Mark Rosewater's blog that at tournaments, use of misogynistic or hateful speech is now against the rules - if you witness someone using slurs or stuff like 'that deck raped me' they encourage you to call over a judge to handle the situation. This, I think, is a real cool thing.

This is a really good sign for the health of the hobby as a whole.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chill la Chill posted:

Is it, though? I mean, they're admitting there's a problem, but I don't see much actual action being taken. People won't call anyone out on it. I mean, whatever happened with xbox live banning or suspending you for hate speech? That was a ~big deal~ a year or two ago and I don't think that was ever actually enforced.

It is going to come down to individual judges being willing/able to make rulings on stuff like that stick...but the fact that the higher ups are willing to say "this is unacceptable behavior" at all is a great sign.

And honestly, if people know about that blog post and know that they can call out toxic players, I really think they will.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Elfgames posted:

yeah i agree but it shouldn't be allowed in the first place

Why should people be disallowed from volunteering?

Stores aren't lassoing people off the sidewalk and pressing them into indentured servitude. People voluntarily say "hey, I'd like to help out and I don't want any compensation except your gratitude".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So people do not have the agency to voluntarily decide they want to donate their time and effort, free of charge, to a hobby they enjoy?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Elfgames posted:

stupid people deserve to be taken advantage of?

Is it really so stupid to voluntarily elect to donate time and effort? Again, the key word here is "voluntary". Nobody is making these judges work, nobody is being put into an MtG labor camp. Some people just like having local Magic scenes enough to be willing to help out to make it happen.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

It's poo poo like this that really makes me hate the world.

People are seriously bent out of shape in 2016 that women, which make up half the world's population, make up half the number of speakers at Gencon?

Simple math would suggest that would be the case every year.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I am incredibly late to the discussion, and only know who Zak S is based off the posts on the last few pages...I've decided that I don't ever want to support him or his endeavours...but I see people mentioning Urban Shadows a lot in relation to him and I'm not seeing his name anywhere in the credits or acknowledgements or anything. Could someone tell me (preferably via PM; I have zero intention of starting a random thread tangent) what exactly his involvement was? From what I've heard about him, it seems worth it to purge the volume from my collection if he's some kind of major contributor.

EDIT: And on that note; what would be a better way of getting rid of my copy of Vornheim? Destroying it, or returning to my FLGS (not for a refund; just giving it back to the store it came from) and telling them why I'm doing so?

jivjov fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 28, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh good; that makes me feel slightly better about that one then. Thanks guys

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kai Tave posted:

I don't think anyone here is going to throw you out of the hivemind for owning a copy of Vornheim.

Oh I know. I just personally don't want it in my possession any longer.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

At face value, this looks good. Basically "oh poo poo, I did not know everything that was going on. Lemme reassess a bit"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of Vornheim...it just popped up in the current Bundle
Of Holding.

On a whim, I contacted the BoH Facebook page and suggested they not give Zak S any exposure due to his actions. Sadly, the canned response I got back was "Vornheim the book isn't objectionable and has provoked no complaints."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Is it possible that Truman doesn't want to speak out too explicitly harshly against Z in fear of some manner of reprisal?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Evil Mastermind posted:

But that's the problem; most of the game seems to be there to give it some "weight".

Like, there are 500 spell cards in the box. If you game has 500 spells, first off gently caress you, but second if the spells are brief enough to fit on a card they can probably fit just as well (and take up less overall space) in a book, then people can just copy stat lines. Things like spell cards are handy extras, but here you're getting them regardless of whether you'd want them or not.

Monte's been doing this for ages with the extra Numenera/The Strange boxes that are just decks of stuff in the main book for $10 a pop. Now he's just forcing players to buy them instead of making them useful extras.

There's a lot of poo poo in that box that doesn't need to be there.

I'm reminded of Luke Crane's "Burning Wheel is meant to be a book" argument. Monte is going full bore on this being a physical experience loaded with feelies.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

DalaranJ posted:

If somebody bought me an RPG and asked me to run it I would be much more likely to feel insulted than honored. Unless they chose the RPG very carefully.

Yeah; I'd be much more receptive if it was phrased more as "hey, we're interested in playing this, do you have interest in running it?" rather than "here's this book, when can we start?"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

WaywardWoodwose posted:

I got my package from Crane the other day and when i popped it open, found out i had accidentally ordered another copy of Burning Wheel Gold by mistake ( I just clicked the first thing that gave me A book and was done with it), when i already own two already. I know it's my own fault, but I am still so mad at that loving obtuse poo poo he put out that made me stay away from his kickstarter page, and ignore his updates.

I would have PMd this, but it doesn't look like you have them; I might be cautiously interested in buying your new-printing copy of Gold off you (if you aren't sending it back to Luke for a refund)!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

chaos rhames posted:

I just googled burning wheel pdf download torrent and the first result was a pirate link for the gold edition so I don't think his policy's working out too well.

But at least Luke can rest assured that it was dastardly dread pirates who pilfered the magical tomes from the cask of the Great Crane Wizard. The archmage himself is blameless in these infernal proceedings!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

WaywardWoodwose posted:

sure, not like i need a third. lemme figure out shipping first.

Cool; I don't get paid til Friday anyway.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

LeSquide posted:

Can we have an example of this wizard speak?

Just read brought the project page for the Codex project. The entire thing is written "in character" as some kind of arcane wizard

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

WaywardWoodwose posted:

I just realized i can pop it in another usps flat rate envelope for like, seven bucks. email me at leatherfacexx @ hotmail.com if you're still interested. It's still shrink wrapped and in bubble wrap.

I unfortunately had some automotive maintenance issues crop up that ate up this paycheck. I'll hit you up in a couple weeks; if you hold on to it that long. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I just can't believe he has any defenders left. Any time someone mentions how late Far West is, a dozen people jump up to say "Oh but he's working on it! For real!"

• Locked thread