Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Serf posted:

And we all know nothing says "Star Wars" like "what mods do you have installed in your lightsaber?"

When making Star Wars into a gaming system...yeah

EDIT: Look at blasters...as far as what we explicitly see on film, blasters do two things; Stun and Kill. And yet there are dozens of on-screen blaster weapons. It stands to reason that there's some sort of in-universe reason for there to be different types of guns, so they all have different game stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Evil Mastermind posted:

They kinda don't, though. At least, not in EotE. The guns list just has "blaster/light blaster/blaster rifle/etc.", then in the description they give some sample Star Wars-y gun names if you care about that kind of thing.

Each splatbook introduces new guns with different stats

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Serf posted:

Remember the time when Han shoots that stormtrooper with the blaster that did 3 damage instead of 2 because it had that barrel mod?

Me neither.

Again; when converting the pulp action of a film to the codified rules systems of a game, weapons having distinct stats is a logical outcome

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The core dice resolution mechanic of Fantasy Flight's Star Wars system is incredibly narrative, and the gear-lists can more or less be ignored if that's not your group's thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CaptCommy posted:

This is the point I think gets lost a lot when talking about the FFG SW games. Yeah, there's a lot of gear to be had if you go diving through splat books, but it's also very easy to ignore if you just want to use the dice system. In the games I've run, there haven't been any major issues with some players embracing the crunch and some ignoring it.

Yeah, I've got one player in my frequent group that will go through every new gear list looking for new and cool stuff he can carry around with him. The rest of my group hasn't made any significant gear alterations since char-gen.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm not a fan of the Star Wars RPGs because they're too much like the 40K RPGs (which are themselves basically WFRP2 with more cruft and fewer careers) with bad custom dice bolted on, whereas WFRP3 managed to actually do something mechanically interesting.

I've edited your statement for accuracy.

The Star Wars dice, and their narrative mechanic, are good actually.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder how people would react to a Kickstarter stretch goal that was for "hiring a professional technical editor"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

gnome7 posted:

This twitter thread is pretty relevant to that, too:

https://twitter.com/Avonelle/status/863937589052669952

The first reply to that is really telling "race isn't a slur. You're the real racist"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Incidentally, they got Marsters in to re-record Ghost Story, so he's done the entire series.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pope Guilty posted:

Isn't Molly underage for most of the series?

She gets a couple brief appearances while underage, but when she becomes a full on main character as Harry's apprentice and then the new Winter Lady she's 17 and up about a year per book

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ettin posted:

I'm sort of hoping Dresden Files Accelerated fixes this, but I also haven't read Dresden Files since the eighth or ninth book. What if Accelerated has... spoilers :ohdear:

It does. The little in-character post-it notes and descriptions of powers and mantles reference things up through Skin Game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

remusclaw posted:

I wouldn't even say it's that. They want you to agree. They want all the silent majority they are sure are just waiting for the right call to arms to finally speak up and say "hear hear, you go guy" Anyone who disagrees are either paid shills or government agents trying to suppress the truth.

And to his (lovely) credit, there was that one "I support you!" Reply

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

moths posted:

It's obscenely insincere. I don't care if he's the nicest guy on the planet, gently caress him if he won't drop the act long enough to play boardgames with his "friends."

If you're referring to Tabletop, they're explicitly putting on a show. It's not 100% scripted, obviously...but people are obviously playing characters, not just sitting around playing a game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.patreon.com/posts/everybody-wants-15770595

WRT the Patreon shenanigans, Evil Hat has added a couple new pledge tiers; they are cheaper versions of the $4 and $12 tiers that take the fees into account; so you can continue to just give a grand total of $4/$12 and keep the same rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lord_Hambrose posted:

So if I am understanding this correctly, in addition to me paying the fees instead of the creators I back (which is fine, if poorly rolled out) I will now have a ton of little transactions on my credit card instead of one big one?

Yikes.

From what I understand, they're still only gonna bill your card once...Patreon is tacking on all the fees on the back end.

• Locked thread