Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
Maybe the problem isn't "Kickstarter is too much like a store when it's not supposed to be," but that people won't back a project without a guarantee of a tangible product delivered to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

gradenko_2000 posted:

As a pleb whose only contemporary exposure is playing the PC adaptations against AI, what is the current state of Magic?

The last couple sets have been pretty shittily designed and rampant speculation on card prices is making it hard to not only buy in to begin with, but stay relevant from set to set if you want to be competitive.

Gerund posted:

Hearthstone itself is all sorts of bikini armor bullshit and I've never heard Kibler make efforts to improve the game he works on in the same fashion. I'm perfectly happy excluding him from the list of "decent people"; the community he is directly a part of has obviously needed serious work on its culture when the act of banning women from Hearthstone tournaments wasn't immediately laughed out of the room.

Kibler doesn't work on Hearthstone at all, he's just a streamer and occasional tournament player. He's not a Blizzard employee. Also I really don't think there's any of the bikini armor nonsense from WoW that trickled into HS at all.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

*Pat voice* Perfect

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

if it's the store organizing it, why should the store not be the one to pay the judges?

i think your stance is going to be 'they should', and to that i have some bad news: they won't. in things like grand prixs and large tournaments, where judges meaningfully contribute in a large way to the smooth operation of events, they are paid, by the tournament organizers. in something small, like a fnm, where judges contribute relatively little 'value', places would sooner just have no judges available than they would to pay them because it doesn't really make sense to pay them for what they're offering.

you're arguing 'judges should be paid', which is possibly true, and also already happens. the lawsuit is 'judges should be treated like wizards emplyees', which is not really the same, and you've not once explained clearly why that should be.

senrath posted:

The Level 1 Judges are the FNM guys.

FNM, pickup drafts, and other casual events (even the weekly $100 tournament for example) are run at Regular REL and do not require a Level 1 judge to run. However, most stores have an employee that is a L1 or a Rules Advisor (Level 0 judge) that they schedule to work on FNM or other days Magic tourneys happen. Once you get above Regular REL and into Competitive, the tournament organizer should be hiring judges as required.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

*Pat voice* Perfect

Halloween Jack posted:

As a kid I picked up an AD&D sourcebook thinking that it would help me with the SSI AD&D games I was playing. It saved me from actually playing AD&D. When I started actually roleplaying, knowing that AD&D referred to skills as "nonweapon proficiencies" helped keep me off the game.

Are there any of you whose very first roleplaying experience was with another TSR game, like Gamma World, Top Secret or Boot Hill? Those games had some interesting transitional ideas.

I had the Top Secret and the Star Frontiers box sets. I was so happy to see them bring back all the Star Frontiers races in D20 Future!

Top Secret was pretty abysmal though, in terms of game design. Every character had like 30-40 skills/NWPs and all of them had to have a percentile score. I can't recall if they were derived or rolled though. Here's some other quirks of the game:

1) You are a KGB agent, trying to talk to a Mossad agent but both of you are posing as Americans (for some reason). Since neither of you are speaking your native tongue, you each have to roll you skill in English to understand each other. RAW, it's possible to have an entirely one0sided conversation even though both characters are taking turns talking.

2) Unarmed combat was done in some kind of weird, secret-ballot type "tell the GM (Administrator) what you want to do and he compares the two results on some crazy-rear end tables". One cool abstraction was that if your hand to hand skill was low, you could only fight on the untrained or boxing table, while your opponent was busy throwing you around with judo and kicking your rear end.

3) XP was pretty much just cash. the only reason you did jobs was to get paid. Money did let you buy cool stiff or build a secret base, but you didn't really get better at anything you could do at level one.

4) There were no classes, but you had to select what branch of your organization you were in: Investigation, Confiscation, Assassination. Investigators got XP for infiltration, recording confidential material, and amassing intelligence. Confiscators got XP for stealing stuff, more or less. Assassins got XP for killing people. If you did something another branch was skilled at, you got like one-third the XP they did. It was a weird system that almost seemed designed for playing three sessions back-to-back, one one one, rather than as a group.

Still though, it was a cool sourcebook and I actually learned things from it as a child (the Basques want independence and have been willing to kill for it; Esperanto is a made up language that actually exists; bullet-proof glass is $25/square foot).

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

*Pat voice* Perfect

Is he the same guy that writes Penny-Arcade? This sounds like his crap.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

*Pat voice* Perfect
Speaking of Blue Rose, is that ever coming out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

*Pat voice* Perfect

Xarbala posted:

I always wondered why rpg.net came off like a bunch of passive-aggressive vipers wearing stepford smiles. The fact that this was all in service of protecting the feelings of people in the industry just makes it all the more tragicomic.

you know what other forum was big on getting industry people to post and protecting their feelings?

really makes u think

• Locked thread