Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I know that's why they renamed Elves to Aelfs and the like, not sure if that's what set off the entire change. I figured it was more to do with GW realizing their actual ideal market isn't "people who play the game" but "people who buy the models as collectibles/art objects" and wanted to make WHF more in line with the 40k style that was more successful with the latter group. I.E. they don't want landsknecht's in floppy hats, they want the Greatest Bestest Warriors in huge armor, so here come the Stormcast Eternals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

You ever seen Rosemary's Baby or Jeeper's Creepers? The former's a story of abuse and victimization, that really understands how horrifying it is to be a woman living in a society that disbelieves women. It was made by a rapist. The latter was made by a pedophile, and, hoo boy, it shows.

While Jeepers is just... awkward, Rosemary's Baby gets cast in a new, incredibly discomforting light with the knowledge that it was directed by a serial predator. Likewise, Beast, which people on this forum had issue with independent of the abuse allegations, now becomes a really uncomfortable thing in that context, and also, a giant flashing warning sign. Like, Onyx Path really, really should have exercised thematic quality control, because it's really looking like they gave an accused rapist creative control over an RPG that has overt themes of abuse apologia. It's not "Beast was bad, McFarland's probably a rapist for it," or point-scoring, but rather, the culture of RPGs is one where we're giving abusers enormous platforms without necessary critical oversight. Abuse victims in this forum and others have testified to how deeply uncomfortable Beast's content made them, even to the point of no longer feeling that Onyx Path was a company that was mindful of their condition, or that their products were safe to buy. Learning that there may be an actual abuser behind the abuse apologia should outrage those people (who had to justify, even apologize for, their visceral discomfort with the content).

There's two, distinct and equally valid, reactions I see to this. The first is the "Yikes" factor, the Rosemary's Baby equivalent, where this knowledge recontextualizes what we've previously seen and now we can't unsee it--any attempt to separate the art and the artist now has to be forced, and will probably ring hollow. The material becomes disgusting where it was earlier discomforting. The second is the Jeepers Creepers reaction, where we have to ask why there's a culture where these blinking warning signs were aggressively dismissed and ignored, in spite of the fact that there was fire behind the smoke.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

RPGnet is a forum about RPGs run by RPG nerds with real industry connection, while Something Awful is run by Lowtax who probably only loosely knows this subforum exists and has a moderating style that ranges from "hands off" to "wildly capricious." RPGnet would never handle a subforum the way SA handled LF or GBS, and the regular posters of Trad Games have more influence over RPGnet than I would expect anyone here to have over SA's admin staff. The entire structure, ethos, and attitude of both websites are completely different, and comparing the two really seems like a bad faith argument.

• Locked thread