Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

jivjov posted:

Well, I'm making no decisions on whether to accept a refund or not until I've heard back from Kickstarter about the issue. If Kickstarter is okay with third party utilities, I'll use it this once and more carefully screen my projects from here on. If it turns out that it is against the Kickstarter TOS, Evil Hat will have to come up with a way to make the Kickstarter survey system for for them

And you wondered why Fred thought you were too much of a dumb rear end in a top hat to bother dealing with. :allears: You project an astounding level of affronted entitlement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I don't know 50 Foot Ant's forum rep or whatever but I'm definitely not willing to discount it out of hand simply given the stories I've heard about TRPG art. Remember that story about the illustration in the 4E Primal Power sourcebook? "This lithe and athletic survivor is wearing HIDE ARMOR made from the gray, spiky plates of a macetail behemoth. Her skin is dark brown, and her curly black hair is kept short; on Earth, one would assume that she was from Africa. She has a simple, functional, and deadly-looking GREATAXE strapped over her back, and a coil of rope at her belt."

What got sent back, and what did they wind up publishing?

Hey wow, that's spot on in every respect.

And that's WotC, which is as professional as it comes in the land of elfgames.

This story is true, except that the original art call wasn't for Primal Power but for a MtG card. They ended up getting another piece of art for the card and used that piece in the Primal Power book some time later since they already owned it.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Kai Tave posted:

I wasn't aware about the M:tG thing RPZip, thanks.

I may actually be full of poo poo, I could have sworn it'd come from an article on Wizards.com but I couldn't track down the source.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Alien Rope Burn posted:

On the Edge? The last game of that I was in may have been one of the least child-friendly games I've ever been in. Maybe we can come up with other less child-friendly games, tho? Child-friendly Unknown Armies. Child-friendly Exalted. Child-friendly Cthulhutech?

The problem with Cthulutech and Exalted is that they're uncomfortably friendly to children.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

quote:

I am profoundly uncomfortable with this being used as fodder for a reinterpretation of Beast as some kind of manifesto for real-world monstrousness

That was the existing interpretation, though, or at least an existing interpretation. This just gives it substantially more subtext.

Kurieg's critical write-up of Beast in F&F didn't come out of nowhere and it was published over a year ago, so it's pretty disingenuous to claim that people are only interpreting Beast as an abuse metaphor in light of the revelation that the lead author is a pedophile rapist. That was already happening.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Rand Brittain posted:

I managed to say some pretty nasty things about Beast and got moderators wandering in to compliment me rather than ban me.

Maybe people should just get better at doing criticism without insulting people? It's not that difficult!

Aren't/weren't you a moderator there? Weird that they'd give someone who was on the moderation team more slack than they'd show to an outsider. I wonder how this might be applicable to another situation where, to pick a random hypothetical, someone who is or was on the moderation team was outed as a pedophile rapist but wasn't banned from the forum.

RPZip fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 25, 2017

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, but that's why I find the SA attitude that you can't say mean things without getting banned baffling, because historically RPGnet's major moderation problem has been the floods of people who figured out how to be shits of one kind or another without falling afoul of the PA rules.

As a counterexample, allow me to present this. Someone in the RPG.net thread this discussion was based off got dinged for the following:

quote:

HR departments and their policies exist to protect the company from employees and the threat of litigation, not the other way around. If HR was interested in people it would still be called personnel.

It's a personal attack against HR professionals, you see. Last time I was on there I got dinged for calling the Ex3 PDF's total lack of bookmarking and page XX errors 'unprofessional', which was also a personal attack.

RPG.net's tone policing incentives the kind of sniveling, passive aggressive shitheadery that some people are extremely proficient in. This isn't an advantage unless you're the type of dipshit who thrives in that kind of environment.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

LatwPIAT posted:

"hillariously incompetent" and not "unprofessional" and while certainly leaning more towards being a personal attack than just a statement of fact, I really want to reiterate my point about tone policing and legitimate frustration here.

This is what I was thinking of, for what it's worth, I didn't go back and actually check the posts though. That one also got a ding.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Rand Brittain posted:

There were a couple of people who really seemed to identify with the "I am a monster demonized by all for my deviance" angle, but not very many.

These people should be on some kind of watchlist.

Levi Kornelsen posted:

In the last few pages here, that's true. In prior discussions here and otherwise (including RPGnet, where I too have one of those mod badges),

We could tell, you bear the distinctive signs of your clan's passive-aggressive concern trolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Mormon Star Wars posted:

It's also good because getting red-texted for something small and dumb makes you feel like a rebel even if the infraction was like, "Please stop posting pictures of Kopru in every thread." See: Everyone who ever went to RPGSite with "I was EXILED by the FASCIST MODS" when their infraction was an admonishment not to sign their posts.

Having been reading their forums again recently, I wish this was something that people would get smacked on the nose for instead of almost the norm.

• Locked thread