Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

homullus posted:

So there's this thing, an article about "The Future of D&D and Tabletop Gaming." And I think it is 100% backwards. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, since it's for this new Gygax Magazine, and couldn't be better calculated to preach to that particular choir.
Backwards is an understatement. The guy launches into an antiscience screed about how it ruins creativity where as there has been a huge push from every which direction to try incorporate technology and science into toys to foster creativity in ways that was impossible in the 70's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Kai Tave posted:

(Gears of War 5, I'm pretty sure that places like Gamestop don't take pre-orders for games unless those games are for-sure coming out).

Even then there is no reasonable expectation that your pre-order won't be in vain. The latest preorder debacle I can think of involved Fire Emblem with few if any companies having the supplies they needed to fill them.

Kai Tave posted:

I guess Duke Nukem Forever would be the game that hosed everything up.

So how do video game pre-orders work on the back end, then? Can a publisher just say "Yep, at some point we'll be making [GAME], dunno when it's coming out if ever, but whatever" and Gamestop can start taking pre-orders at that point? Just whenever they feel like it?
I'm pretty sure one of the more famous game stores started taking preorders for the PS4 the day it was revealed.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Paper Mac posted:

I'm really surprised by how easy it was to get my money back on that and I'm wondering why there's been so much hand-wringing over the risks of KS if all it takes is a card chargeback. Does anyone know how this works? Does Amazon Payments now go back and try to recoup the losses from the merchant?
First thing they are going to do if they really care about the money is to have the chargeback reversed. Also, chargebacks usually have a window in which you can request them and most often its smaller than the time frame in which the Kickstarter will fail.

Flavivirus posted:

With respect, I think we're in a very different position to the 80s in terms of cultural awareness of geeky pastimes. People are far more likely to play, or know people who play, games and board games and rpgs, and the Satanic panic of the 80s wasn't just spurred by a monster manual but had its roots in the evangelical church's artificial fear of satanism, something we don't have a comparable analogue for today.
The cause of it was bad psychology leading to freakishly weird claims of rape. Now and then you'll actually see the bad psychology pop up which lead to the 1980 panic but only if you are familiar with the panic you'll realize that they are related. Here is the book which kicked it off.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelle_Remembers

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 6, 2013

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I'm not sure where all these hysterical crazies demanding we gather every copy of Sword Rape The Game Where You Literally Rape A Lady With A Sword This Is A Real Thing That Happens and burn it. People are just saying it's disgusting and terrible.
The problem is that people are conflating relatively normal actions in regards to what Mikan and Gnome with exactly that. I don't get why but it happens so often where but can't understand that freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences or freedom from criticism.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 8, 2013

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'm sure it's theoretically possible for a game to approach this topic in a way that is respectful of the victims and which treats the subject with the appropriate maturity and level of gravitas, but it's not going to be a game made by the people who wrote the above.
Honestly I don't think you need to include incredibly horrible elements in a game to approach the subject of alienation, disenfranchisement, and racism. I've seen writers do it quite deftly without having to resort to things like rape which honestly is a bit of an extreme oddity to see it tactfully done with maturity and gravitas in any medium.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Bieeardo posted:

Whoa, I must have missed Pathfinder playing the rape card in the welter of terrible character costuming and useless feats.
Honestly I don't know how Alien Rope Burn missed it because I know rape is mentioned in the core rulebook. Its not called that but the euphemism "often not the result of a loving union" certainly can only mean one thing.
EDIT:
After double checking it also features heavily in Rise of the Runelords.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 8, 2013

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Funny you should mention that, because I didn't.
Sorry my train of thought got derailed in a manner that I botched up what I wanted to say. I'm more surprised that you think it came out of nowhere. Rape as used by Paizo is a classic cheap writing tactic by people who really don't know how to write actual drama and tense situations. Couple that issue with the fact that Paizo tends to resort to appeals to antiquity and tradition in their setting you end up explaining a lot if not all of the problematic issues that I have with the game outside of the mechanics.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

neonchameleon posted:

So RPG.net shut down the thread on Misery Toruism on the grounds that the whole thing was a deliberate troll. Have we evidence of this?
The only evidence I found of this was that they actually announced their website on theRPGSite.com on April 1, 2012 of last year and in fact as someone alluded to earlier yes the name was inspired by the Pundit.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

It's such a transparent-seeming troll that I can't help but wonder if the dude is actually trying to be serious.
Honestly, I've seen so much stuff that seems like a transparent troll but isn't that it wouldn't surprise me either way.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 9, 2013

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Finding better artist is absolutely the end goal, but the process is mind-numbingly stupid.
If it makes you feel any better from what my friend told me about working at a small wargaming company the process isn't much better on that end either.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Bieeardo posted:

I know at least one of the videogame PWYW bundles had to put a floor in because people were buying in at a penny and actually costing the bundle guys money in transaction fees. I've actually bought into one or two of those for cheap soundtracks to games I already had.

Did RPGDriveThru actually put a floor in? I remember Fate being the major impetuous for PWYW on that site and apparently Fred Hicks actually said he was saying that he was seeing penny transactions which would cost more money to process.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Rulebook Heavily posted:

The recent Heroquest kickstarter was closed, and now the company that actually owns the trademark and product gives its point of view.

It's so open and honest that I expect GMS to spew hate about it any minute now. What's this thread's take?
The only thing I don't get is why would they need to contact Hasbro. The only IP issues I'm aware of is the trademark name. Otherwise everything else is pretty straightforward.

Mikan posted:

Twitter was where I saw it, I missed everything on G+.
I find it mildly fascinating that his argument is effectively an ad hominem, a straw-man, and quite possibly a confirmation of the antecedent logical fallacy.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

FMguru posted:

The game (the rules, the characters, the maps, the art, etc.) is still owned by Hasbro/GW. It looks like Gamezone doesn't have those rights, either. MD asked them for proof that they had the right to make a 25th Anniversary HQ Reprint and Gamezone didn't reply.

Gamezone tried to raise a half-million dollars to re-print a game they didn't have the rights to and release it under a name that someone else had the trademark to. Some things in IP law are tricky, murky, or stupidly unjust; this is none of those things.
I had originally assumed that they weren't using what was actually copyrighted and didn't actually think they were that dumb.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

Are you really arguing that it's unethical to make a game that is inspired by other works and then to credit those works as inspirations? 'Like <X> but with <Y>' is not unethical. That's...that's an elevator pitch. The game's name is The Whispering Road, and the Kickstarter's very clear: they're not licensed, do not use any Ghibli art and are inspired by Miyazaki films but not associated with them.

I'm pretty sure that they are skirting a law here because unlike other RPGs which list their inspiration in the Appendix this one has the dam thing in the tittle of their advertisement.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 22, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

If you think the name of a Kickstarter is the same as the name of a product, you haven't looked at Kickstarter's front page, have you?
The problem is that the law doesn't care at all about that.
EDIT:
Though I will say that technically I don't think trademark is an issue in the United States as you can't trademark a name like that.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 22, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

inklesspen posted:

Correct. Making up stories is the common heritage of all people. If you actually call your RPG by that name, LucasDisney may have a cause of action against you for trademark infringement, but unless you have been very stupid, you haven't trespassed on Lucas's copyright or any "moral rights" he may have in the concept of whip-cracking archeologist-adventurerers. (Also, I'm not sure where "has enough money" ever entered into the discussion here before.)

Well its not like George Lucas didn't do that either with Indiana Jones which is why a lot of knockoff Indiana Jones characters are basically named Alan Quatermaine.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

And when that stops being the most accessible thing to people. You can do something off the wall and original, but more often than not you run into the problem of making your product accessible to a consumer. It helps if you have some kind of license to piggyback off of, but only Weis productions are doing that these days.
Its not even the fact that you have to go original more than just not regurgitate the same pulp fiction over and over and over and over again.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Rulebook Heavily posted:

That was the time that they publically and conveniently "got new management" just in time to do a kickstarter and then immediately switched back to Tony Reidy once the money was in the house.

Nope. New management despised Tony with an ever burning hatred and was trying to oust him. They kind of quit in mass once they realized it was a lost cause. This is a weird case because I would not be surprised that it was some form of a business shell for a criminal enterprise.

quote:

Long story short, the kickstarter money probably went the same way that all their kickstarter money has: to pay employee back pay and old debts instead of trying to finance their actual obligations. The news hadn't spread because, surprise surprise, the hobby allows toxic people to continue to exist.
Hahahahahahahahha......... Nope. Employee back pay still hasn't been settled completely either.

neonchameleon posted:

Being fair to Torn Armour, Defiance's reputation has probably tanked in the meantime. It was known that they were a company to not trust when they went with them - but according to one of the threads at the time you had to hit page 3 of google before you encountered the first bit of message board bitching about them. So it's plausible they did do a cursory background check - just not an in depth one.
They didn't do any investigation as if you Googled Tony's name there was enough warning signs to have you back away. Its a pretty simple mistake to do but still what a crappy way to go about learning it.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 24, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

The part where I roll my eyes so hard that the flip into my head is the fact that whenever someone mentions human misery it always makes rape intrinsic. Sure I can understand making a game about human misery but you have such a large pool to draw from that you could do just fine without including rape.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Some of those things were actually successful, though, like the Mechwarrior or Dawn of War videogames. Mechwarrior (the RPG) wasn't exactly a failure with a litany of sourcebooks, but subsequent Battletech publishers haven't picked it up for whatever reason.

A Battletech RPG is still around. Admittedly, it fits into a niche that its designed to be used with the wargame but its still around.
EDIT:
Also, D&D Clue is still a thing.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

FMguru posted:

That's almost as good as the guy from the old Grognards thread who kept insisting that Gor would make a great setting for kids.
Aren't they the same people?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

So apparently Fred Hicks deleted an entire website that was important to his business. How does that happen? :psyduck:

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

MWP are well known for not paying people.
The last time Fred Hicks mentioned this discussion Margaret Weis Productions were explicitly called out.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

Judging from the followup tweets he might be under an NDA preventing him from mentioning the name of the company
Honestly that is kind of frustrating because as moths said from an information standpoint there are plenty of companies he could talk about in open but for some stupid reason he just gives these vague notions towards some company that we know nothing about.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Does the new D&D Monster Manual, like the Pathfinder Bestiary, also include creatures that can only reproduce through rape?
Pretty much they managed to do this all ready before the game even released through another moronic consultant.
EDIT:
That isn't discounting potential that they may be embracing some of the more racist elements of D&D in a paradoxical attempt at inclusion.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 25, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

moths posted:

It wasn't very good at capturing anything from the source material or original game. Unless I missed all the level six defensive option heroes in weird fiction.
Well its not exactly like the original game does much better if all the stories about it are typical.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Gareth Michael Skarka is the fellow behind Far West, a notable and ongoing kickstarter failure. It's going to remain a failure even if it comes out at this point, being years off target, having burned all its bridges and including straight up copied artwork. Skarka is also a huge rear end in a top hat who e-stalks people to tell them he's the real oppressed person and explains things like why there are no natives in his Western game with, well, less than grace.

He is of course a close industry buddy of Monte Cook and Bruce R. Cordell, both of whom wrote for D&D for years. Really, it'd be easier to google their names and see just how big these names are in the industry and how influential they are.
He's also a huge hypocrite too as its not exactly like he hasn't been vocal about issues of racism in the past. Its basically amounts to only his argument is the only valid one.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

bunnielab posted:

I saw "Highlander" at a very young age, katanas and trenchcoats will always be cool to me :(

I also get super hopeful that I will see a sword fight when ever I am in a parking garage.
If you are talking about the tv show that isn't a trenchcoat. Its a duster. Now excuse me while I crawl into a corner and cry as that is the only thing I know about that franchise.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

moths posted:

There's also that one time Insider was making millions, but I can't seem to remember what edition that happened under.
Insider wasn't handled competently though. It was making money but you are deluding yourself to think it was handled competently.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

This is different from the handling of the rest of the brand in what capacity?
Moths was being so vague I can't tell if they were insinuating that Insider was an exception to the brand being handled well.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

moths posted:

The least competent decision regarding Insider was to shut it down. No, we don't want a guaranteed, regular steam of revenue.

It was a flawed product, sure, but it was selling and making them grown-up big boy money from what was presumably a microscopic overhead.
No. The product under delivered on what was promised and had a bunch of issues that in a competently run project wouldn't have hindered it at all.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Lemniscate Blue posted:

And part of the reason Insider didn't fulfill its promises was that murder-suicide involving one of the developers and the collapse of "Gleemax", although you could definitely pin the latter on poor management.
The problem with that argument and even you'll see it crop up in 5E is that if your process is that fragile where one person can shut the whole thing down you aren't managing it properly.

Kai Tave posted:

And it still made more money per year than most RPG products make in their entire lives so, y'know, if only we could all fail that much.
Yeah but that isn't saying much given how pathetic the industry is.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

FMguru posted:

I suspect Hasbro thinks of D&D like they do Transformers - a legacy nerd brand that's worth keeping around for licensing and nostalgia products to aging fans and which might down the road blow up into a billion-dollar franchise, but certainly not as something worth pumping a ton of money into as an RPG.
I'm legitimately curious as to how Transformers can be a legacy brand. It has a lot more invested into it than D&D can ever hope for.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Esser-Z posted:

Not actually true! It's been very succesful since the late 90s. The movies HELPED, but the toylines between 1998 and now have been very successful for Hasbro. And it was only AFTER the movies that there started being more stuff for older collectors! There was always a little, but it didn't get major effort until Classics--a timefill line between the first movie and dedicated kid-aimed toys.

Like seriously, the amount of older-collector focus Transformers has now is a RESULT of the movies pouring in tons of money! Before them the vast majority of the toys were very successfully aimed at children!
Yeah that was what I was wondering. Transformers for me is one of the things I grew up on so while I never bought many toys it was something that was culturally relevant for me as I grew up because they never stopped producing cartoons. Like the sheer amount of money spent in terms of cartoons had to indicate that the brand did something which is what threw me for a loop.
EDIT:
Transformers always tended to do something that I enjoyed which is the type of old person pandering where kids wouldn't necessarily get the joke but older fans would. Animated had a bunch of references like Weird Al being Wreck Gar and using the original voice actor for Blur. Admittedly, Im not sure how you could translate that to the RPG industry.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 7, 2015

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Captain Rufus posted:

(The closest thing I have seen to a thing to get model kits big again was Gundam Build Fighters in Japan. Where kit building is still a thing anyhow. And it's promotional show was better than it had any right to be.)
Wait has kit building never not been niche in the United States? Its never going away but its always been something that I remind exists when I go to my art store.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Going back to MiB and Ghostbusters. Yes the movies are comedies, but the stakes are lethally high in both and the protagonists are actually really competent. That's the thing that the games missed. The PCs shouldn't be schlubs.
Ghosbusters in the very first scene of the movie makes it a point to show that the whole lot of them are incompetent schlubs who just so happened to be right.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

I would take that bet and you'd probably lose. Magic: the Gathering's 2012 earnings report had it placed somewhere around $200 million and they've pretty much reported nothing but growth, and it's not like this is some surprising come-from-behind story either. Magic is translated into multiple different languages whereas I don't believe D&D is even getting its Japanese translation anymore now that WotC didn't renew the license for the company that had been translating D&D into Japanese for years. Yeah yeah, you can buy D&D in Target now, welcome to Magic for the last however many years, they sell M:tG packs at Wal-Mart, gas stations, and grocery stores. Magic is what keeps a ton of game stores afloat all on its own.

Isn't it the case where RPGs in Japan are probably bigger in Japan than M:tG but D&D doesn't hold that spot? I know there is an anime coming out that is effectively based upon an actualplay but I don't know what the system is.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

Magic is incredibly popular in Japan, and Japan and China consistently do really, really well in Magic tournaments. Wizards actually has very strong connections in Japan, to the point that when a manga author asked if they could do a Magic-based manga, Wizards literally offered to make a new game for them to base the manga on.

And that's how Duel Masters/Kaijudo was born, though it was discontinued at the end of last year.
You have the order a bit screwed up. Wizards threw a bit of a hissy fit because the manga wasn't at all what they wanted in terms of plot. If you go back and ever look at the covers you see it was originally about playing MTG.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

You can't, not "successfully" by, like, real-world metrics of success. There's no license, there's no magical combination of words, no system that's going to jumpstart the second elfgame golden age. Like, even if WotC spent beaucoup bucks aggressively marketing D&D, who are they going to pitch the "spend 6-8 hours around a table with 4-5 other people who've also cleared their schedule once a week indefinitely" thing to? The younger crowd? The younger crowd's got Skylanders and Disney: Infinity and poo poo, man, they've got other video games and, yes, they even have Magic: the Gathering. The older crowd? The older crowd has jobs (well, not all of'em these days I guess), they have families and kids and stuff, soccer practice to go to and doctor's appointments and I dunno man, I'm loving exhausted and my wife's got the flu, can we just grab some beers and play Cards Against Humanity or something?
I don't know. Its not exactly like playing pretend doesn't have a huge cultural cache than RPGs or even Magic the Gathering will ever pretend to have especially if you are one of the people who believes that Fiasco is an RPG.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

but I'm pretty sure the fundamental issue is just that there isn't actually some big audience yearning to play tabletop RPGs that simply hasn't been catered to yet.
No. Speaking from personal experience where I basically went to an open improv class for a few months the desire to play pretend is pretty widespread. Hell its a required college course depending on where you are located.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Good grief.

Freeform roleplayers on the internet, improv theater guys, people who love making up stories with their friends over drinks, the guys who make up stories while playing Gloom or Monopoly, you know what the common factor they all share is? None of them need a game like D&D to do what they enjoy doing. They already have everything they need to enjoy acting, playing pretend, collaborating on stories, etc. The trick, the actual trick, to convincing these legions of non-roleplayers to jump into the TRPG hobby, isn't a matter of brewing up some new licensed game or a new system with the perfect blend of crunch and fluff, it's not a digital app or a virtual tabletop, it's figuring out how to sell people on a hobby they neither want nor need. When someone sinks millions upon millions of dollars into solving that, then you'll see a growth surge in the TRPG hobby.
You do realize that an improv theater person would probably lecture the hell out of a freeform roleplayer. Its not like there isn't a textbook for that field and to act like its really that different in terms of rules and techniques is the major disconnect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Like a lot of your posts, I have no idea what this has to do with what's actually being discussed.
Basically you are throwing a grognard fit over the suggestion of making a game that panders to other people especially when you have no clue what the hell you are talking about. That and just burn this industry to the ground. For as much talk about gatekeepers in the previous thread you'll never get rid of them and I'd probably actively drive people away from it nowadays.

• Locked thread