Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

The rust monster thing did have a happy ending in that people did end up getting their plush rust monsters (and they are adorable). Heck, I think a few other projects have been contacted by Wizards to change some things, often AFTER the project has ended, although Rusty was the only one where the project itself was shut down (that I know of).

I... have my doubts the same would fly for that star-wars blood-bowl thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

As an international backer myself, I use a courier system in the US. Stuff gets delivered there, and they send it here. I still have to pay taxes+their fee of course. It can be kind of a hassle when KS projects don't send tracking numbers as sometimes when they get to their warehouse they have no way of telling me who it came from (let alone how much it was worth) so I have to guess :p

Of course, I am lucky enough to live in a country that HAS that courier service available. It does lower the S&H price for some of the most expensive stuff tho! (... for some of the cheaper stuff, I find I may have to pay MORE, but its worth it just for the package to not be in international travel limbo). Right now I'm waiting for the Reaper Bones box. It weights 21 Lbs. If it had shipped internationally, the price would be EYE-GOUGING. I still expect to pay over $50 when it gets here. This is likely still cheaper than what I would have had to pay normally.

I guess what I'm saying is... it's hard to be a geek/compulsive buyer and not live in the country where most of that stuff is cheaper and easier to get :p

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

It gets me that some of the other miniatures in Wrath are so cool, with detailed armor and neat monsters, and yet... really creepy naked ladies for no good reason.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

demota posted:

I think Malifaux is a wargame that handles the strong female characters pretty well. They had some awful models early on, but they seem to be taking a definite change in direction with second edition.

I'm... not entirely sure I agree. The models I saw for 2E were the Victorias (of the Hired Swords) didn't really impress me, compared to the 1E ones. To be fair, maybe it's because I only saw the 3D render, but they seemed to give them a standard pouty face. I dunno how it looks like on an actual miniature.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Rulebook Heavily posted:

e: Oh yeah and then there are the rumors that Fantasy is going to lose armies. I doubt it: They apparently have new sculpts for at least one of them and want to recoup costs (Wood Elves), so I think it's more likely that the armies on the "chopping block" (Wood Elves, Bretonnians, Beastmen) will see a new type of release from GW: All three armies in one book, all at once, with few actually NEW models for the line. And that will be the state of things going forward: much fewer new sculpts and models, but more concentrated releases. Cutting them entirely doesn't make sense to me at all, same as with the rumors that finecast is out. They'll instead try to leverage the models and sculpts they already have for all they're worth.

I've heard this rumor too. Apparently Fantasy did pretty badly last year, so there might be some armies chopped off, or maybe merged with others. I know that one of my friends is dying for a new Bretonnian book, but he points out the problem is that there are very few Cool New Things you could add to an army that consists of knights and peasants. No real Big Expensive Model that might fit with them, and such. Another problem was Finecast: It was a horrible resin, prone to leaving holes in the models, very expensive, and it seems to have backfired badly on them. I believe there is no new Finecast stuff coming?

I do believe that there are also more new games coming up and biting on GW's heels, especially given things such as Kickstarter. However, it's also been pointed out to me that people like using those miniatures as proxies/commanders in their armies and such. I can understand that! I certainly would like my Deadzone Marauder Rippers to sit in as meganobz for my 40k army. But while this is (or might be) true to a lot of people, its also giving other games exposure, and all it takes is somebody suggesting a game and seeing how people like it. Infinity, for example, has taken pretty well here, in the place where we play Warhammer the most.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Regarding proxies, I've seen people deploy mostly square papers as armies + a few minis. Papercraft is a thing. I have no idea how you keep track of that tho.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Wait until you show up with a space marine painted black. That's when the argument really begins.

Well maybe I'm playing a freaking Salamander! :smuggo:

I don't really paint a lot of my minis, but I do like to give them different skin tones when I can. This sometimes gets me weird looks, which is doubly annoying when you consider I'm from freaking south america.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

That's... well, that's a whole problem with sex in gaming, isn't it? There doesn't seem to be absolutely no way to include it without making somebody angry, whether because its juvenile or creepy. It's -really hard- to find a positive sexual thing in these games, but plenty of negative ones (possibly because of the entire Judeo-Christian culture present in the west, like Leperflesh mentioned, where sex is seen as a bad thing).

So, you want to make a god/goddess that encourages pleasurable sex? A culture that embraces that kind of thing? HOW do you handle it without being told that what you are doing is wrong?

... well, you can't, somebody somewhere is going to complain about something anyway. But, this doesn't mean there shouldn't be like an actual solid attempt to do it, right?

And then there's all the cheesecake. Me? I like me some cheesecake. The problem arises when that is -all there is-. I've long since reached the point where I find pictures of women wearing armor with bare midriffs just makes me groan, no matter how good the picture is. I'm actually pretty fond of the iconic Pathfinder Paladin since, hey, fully armored female character! Boobplate's still dumb but I'll take my victories where I can get them.

• Locked thread