Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

I don't know all the details 100% so bear that in mind, but my understanding is that the situation with White Wolf and CCP these days is similar to that between WotC and D&D. Wizards of the Coast makes mad millions of dollars because Magic: the Gathering is super-huge, but this doesn't mean that the D&D side of things gets to just dip into those millions to do their own thing. My understanding is that when CCP's finances took a downturn one of the first things to be cut was virtually near-everything that had to do with the elfgame side of White Wolf because, well, it made the least amount of money and gently caress it, they own all the licenses now so they pretty much got all the really important stuff (I'm not trying to ascribe a sinister motivation to CCP here, it's just that of all their assets an RPG publisher is pretty much going to be one of the first things to go when you're looking to tighten the belt).

That White Wolf gets to continue working on elfgames at all is largely, to my understanding, due to the outstanding work of a bunch of its freelancers and those staff that remained putting together some really killer books that sold pretty well and pitched a convincing case to CCP to let them continue to do stuff like that, and CCP looked at the numbers and said "sure, okay," but the numbers aren't so good that CCP is willing to just fund them outright out of pocket, hence Kickstarter.

Again, my understanding, grain of salt, etc.

Well, and it's not White Wolf any more, it's Onyx Path which really is a separate entity. There are obviously connections, both licensing and personal, but at the end of the day CCP wouldn't bail Onyx Path out of financial trouble and without the Kickstarters Onyx Path couldn't publish books.

quote:

So my very long-winded argument is intended to basically say "this argument is dumb because Kickstarter is a marketplace that offers the opportunity to behave like a merchant, or not like a merchant, and exactly what each project happens to be is variable". I hope we can move on to a more productive topic.

Yes exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

viewtyjoe posted:

No, Onyx Path does publish the books without Kickstarter funding. Their Kickstarters are purely to fund deluxe editions for people who want to throw money at them for such a thing. The products are going to be finished either way, and if you want a print copy, you can buy one through DriveThruRPG, but if you want something more, you can contribute to the Kickstarter, and sometimes they fund other stuff from that money. From their own website:

This is absolutely true and I was absolutely wrong.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

I'll cop some of the blame for that too, I wasn't really clear. I knew that Onyx Path made enough money to keep people making stuff, but as you said, for deluxe stuff like luxury hardbacks they can't get CCP to shell out for that, so they have to turn to either conventional pre-ordering or Kickstarter and Kickstarter is at least marginally more beneficial than pre-ordering because if it completely falls flat and doesn't fund then nobody gets charged.

Yeah, that's what was in the back of my mind and I didn't double check my thoughts. Although I didn't think CCP was doing any of the funding, but now I'm not sure of myself.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Cheap Trick posted:

Kickstarter-related question: what caused the price of international shipping from the US to skyrocket recently? Is this only affecting USPS, or are courier companies hiking up their rates too?

The USPS lost $16 billion last year on paper. This is mostly thanks to the 2006 Postal Accountability Enhancement Act which says that the USPS has to fund health benefits to retirees, fully, for 75 years... and they had to come up with the money to do that in 10 years. Why would Congress do that? Possibly it's entirely coincidental that the USPS has one of the strongest public sector unions left, who knows?

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Anna Kreider posted an email conversation with Ron about the game. I am not totally convinced because Ron likes to talk about how well he handles this stuff and I've read Sex and Sorcery, so I can compare his self-perception to reality. Still and all it was a good conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Plague of Hats posted:

Before all this, he held a position of authority in GAMA where he used his position to snoop private emails.

It's somewhat worse than this: while he was part of a slate of people running for GAMA leadership, he figured out that the GAMA internal mailing lists were poorly protected and read the emails from the then current GAMA leadership. His slate won, but the news came out soon thereafter and he was forced to resign.

However, to be scrupulously fair, he left CCP and EVE Online in November, 2010, and the monocle hit the new item store in June, 2011. And like any MMO anywhere has ever maintained a steady development course for six months without changing their minds about things.

• Locked thread