Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I think there's a possibility that that game is intended as black, black satire of narrative games and nordic-rpg-style games and Raggi's shockjock style. I might be wrong, but it's worth skimming it with that in mind - some of the dumb is so heavy-handed that I can't believe someone would write it seriously.

quote:

• Explore (and play around with) the minds of the victim and the perpetrator of a violent rape
  • Play a hide-and-seek board game with your friends

I mean, c'mon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

There is also

http://www.miserytourism.com/6pagemanual.pdf

from the same people which is a straight satire of Nordic larp.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Kenzer have a pretty good rep overall.

I don't trust their webshop though, I have been buying the KODT PDF collections and my credit card got jacked several times over that period.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

MalcolmSheppard posted:

With D&D, those preferences are set by market research. When market research indicates a bunch of people wanting a thing? You design it. Period. Furthermore, it's not a solitary process. It's set by a design document, and that design document is ultimately the promise you make to the folks above you. You want to break that promise? You have to have a meeting and negotiate those changes. So the idea that Essentials was Mearls making D&D his is absurd. It never was. It will never be. For better or worse, there are no auteurs, and the way they work is designed to crush that.

No Warlord in the Essentials core (though it was supposed to appear in a supplement)? The chance it was Mearls hating on the Warlord is minute compared to the chance it wasn't popping up as often as other classes in data ripped from the character builder and forum discussions.

So we have an actual example of their market research from a few months back.
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/june_survey2015

quote:

Which of the following character types from prior editions would you like to see updated to fifth edition D&D rules? (Please choose all that apply.) *This question is required.
* Alchemist
* Artificer
* Cavalier
* Hexblade
* Martial Adept (warblade, swordsage, crusader)
* Runepriest
* Samurai
* Scout
* Seeker
* Shaman
* Warden
* Warmage
* None of the above

This list includes a bunch of low-popularity 4e classes but guess what's missing?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Terrible Opinions posted:

As far as I can tell the best strategy for that is just watermarking the pdfs with customer info, nad if they show up on sharing sites ban that customer and their payment method.

This doesn't really solve the problem though - now if someone buys your game and runs it with their group and shares it with their players, then it leaks out from one of those players, you've just punished the GM, one of your actual loyal customers who is interested in your game enough to run it and show other people it.

Success! They can't give you any more money! Oh wait.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

This is an area I wrestle with since I am generally the person buying the PDF and convincing people to sit around and play it. Eclipse Phase was great since I could just share the PDF and not care.

This is actually one of the reason I think light games and *world stuff does well compared to heavier weight indie games - moving all the relevant content you need to play the game onto sharable stuff means there's no issue. I don't need to read the Apocalypse World book to play it successfully - I just need the playbook.

Whereas something like Chuubo's I feel like there's no way I can just explain the game directly, so I gotta either

* give prospective players the PDF
* tell them to buy it (yeah right)
* find other players who already own it (yeah right)
* turn a blind eye to them :filez:-ing it. (what I did in the D20 era)

Net result: I'm not running Chuubo's. This sucks.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Pathfinder Online threw out just about everything interesting about PF but kept alignments, because D&D alignments are a good fit for MMOs.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

The SS Dogs in the Vineyard follows up here:

http://indie-rpgs.com/archive/index.php?PHPSESSID=7449088d675b1aa68a8656e13bf7bdd5&topic=16895.msg179303#msg179303

Pretty hard to read this as nazi fanboys - it's chilling and horrible and not intended to be played obviously.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Harrow posted:

What if you used them in a Dungeon World, "success with a complication" way?

Like, say the GM has a pool of "GM Intrusion Points" to draw from rather than just being able to do it at any time. What happens is a player succeeds at a roll, and then the GM spends one of those points to turn that success into a "yes, but" instead of just a "yes." It's something outside of what a GM would normally just be able to do. If you want more options, then also throw in Fate's compels (thanks for pointing me to Fate, everyone in this thread): a GM's intrusion should focus on showing the downside of someone's ability/trait/focus/whatever or introducing a complication based on that, not something just out of nowhere.

I'd actually really like this mechanic for *world games because man, when the players roll 10+ for the first 8 rolls in a session, the game really drags. *World really needs those GM moves to happen to make the game good - so the strings of all- good or all-bad rolls you get occasionally can make for pretty crap sessions.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

i would love love love to know if Mark actually found the post himself, or whether Zak etc pointed him at it directly or via proxy. The technique of picking a fight, getting angry responses, then deleting all his own posts is so effective.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

People like trappings and ceremony and things. I paid eighty-seven bucks with shipping for Fall of Magic, which is a game with roughly as much text content as Lasers and Feelings, and I have no regrets because it's beautiful.

I feel like targetting a RPG at the wider nerd disposable income makes a lot of sense, sure the actual content isn't going to be revolutionary but I think Cooke's definitely identified a market here and this will pull in players from outside the existing RPG-playing population.

Tacky statues of comic book characters make as much money as the comics do in some shops...

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Is it actually helpful to Mikan at this point to bring them up and extensively rehash what happened every time Zak does something new and lovely - I kind of feel like we could cover 'why is Zak a tool' in other ways.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

That Old Tree posted:

I thought the story was, on top of his "friend" picking the name "as a joke", they were also using the same computer. So he's copping to making that particular post, but it's just a wacky roommate mix-up because he couldn't come up with something better than a teenager on JustRage.

The fun part is he's been using the sappelcline account to talk up his own products for about a year - the zaksabbath account is much younger.

Comparing them makes it completely obvious that they're the same person writing - the punctuation style and everything is identical.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Haystack posted:

Let me tell you all about our Lord and Savior Spellbound Kingdoms...

I am running this at a con in ten days and I'm SO EXCITED.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

FMguru posted:

This was a problem with the old AD&D 2E Monstrous Compendium binder entries - every monster got its own double-sided single page for itself, which led to some simple monster entries having tons of whitespace and some complicated monsters visibly squishing the text together to fit in the allotted space.

I wish. Some pages had two monsters on opposite sides. And then they released expansions with monsters that sorted alphabetically between two on the same piece of paper.

Yes I was super bitter about this in 1990.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Rand Brittain posted:

Cat mummies can be important! I remember a Diane Duane book where the devil was convincing people to grind up all the cat mummies because of the ancient cancel-the-apocalypse spell that was written on them. Eventually the heroes foil his scheme, and tens of thousands of ancient cat ghosts appear all "YOU WILL NOT KILL THE GIVERS OF FOOD" and the devil is all "seriously these are not the same people who gave you kibble" and the cats are all "WE BASICALLY CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE, WE STOP APOCALYPSE NYAO (and then fish)."

Man where's my Diane Duane RPG

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Re: counterfeit board games, here's an album of pictures.

http://imgur.com/a/oVhkJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

http://cheapass.com/free-games/light-speed/ is the best thing they did I think - it's the best filler I own especially with laser line tools for wargaming, and it's 5 minutes a game.

And now free print and play!

• Locked thread