Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

jivjov posted:

I've never once accused Fred Hicks or Evil Hat of fraud. I said that it set of fraud-like alarm bells and that I felt it may not be keeping with Kickstarter's Terms of Service. I also did not use the "Report this Project" function, I merely used Kickstarter's Contact Us form.

Is Evil Hat so above any reproach that any critisism should just be swept under the rug? Am I as a customer of Evil Hat's (I've purchased their products at retail, I'm not just a KS backer), am I not allowed to raise a concern and attempt to discuss it?

When your criticism amounts to "they're using a totally legit third party site to do something better than Kickstarter already does, but I'm too stupid to realize this", yeah I think you're not allowed to raise concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

jivjov posted:

A third party site that I'd never heard of, had not been disclosed to backers until long after payment had been collected, and not officially endorsed by Kickstarter? Yes, yes I think I am. Also, please do not call me stupid. I'm not sinking to name calling, there's no reason for you to do so.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have called you stupid. In light of your other posts, I should have called you a mewling child who throws a shitfit about the stupidest things in the world.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

jivjov posted:

Please educate yourself on the differences between "a mewling child throwing a shitfit" and "a customer attempting to calmly discuss a concern with a company's actions".

This would be great if your concern made any sense to any rational human being in the world.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mr. Belding posted:

I'm having deep moral questions about whether it makes sense to respond to any of this, because I don't honestly feel at this point that any of the discussion being directed at me is about things that I've actually said. If I initially thought that I could convince anyone that the type of response I've received is an ideological purity test and a bad idea, suffice it to say, I've been dissuaded.

But I'm going to try and interpret all of this, including the insulting language and straw men as charitably as I can.

I didn't claim that anyone lied. I don't know what "discrediting the author's experience" means. If anything I thought (and think) that particular vignette is tied to what the author is experiencing presently.

Questioning my motives makes it impossible for us to have a discussion. I think that what is being done here is harmful. That is my motive. To express why and how it's harmful. You don't have to accept it. I would agree that it's entirely unproductive. I wish it hadn't been.

At this point, I should have just picked the most uncharitable reading of anything I wrote and assumed people would assume it's what I meant. What I was saying is that I touched something sacred to the community and the response was to be expected. I thought it would create productive dialog. It has done anything but. Just hurt some peoples' feelings.

"Should" doesn't mean anything absent an intended outcome. Nevertheless you are right because the outcome I was looking for was a productive conversation and that didn't happen at all.

I agree that this is the crux of why people are reacting as they are. The reason I feel that it is harmful is because any scrutiny, even the most genuine, casual, and non-invasive is reacted to in this way. All analysis is treated as attack, which is actually a trait I associate with the unfortunate movement of video game players who dislike Anita Sarkeesian videos so much. I think that all facts are friendly facts. Analysis and criticism are useful and valuable in and of themselves, and I don't think they should need to be defended. Knee jerk defenses feel anti-intellectual, and against the values of liberalism as I see them.

If I heard something I felt was unlikely I would say "That is unlikely. " This isn't a particularly high level of scrutiny. And certainly if the account was written in a format intended to be consumed by others and I was discussing it with a group I might go a good deal deeper. If it seemed like a surreal dream sequence, I may even call it Lynchian! I don't save this level of "scrutiny" if we can even call it that only for sexual assault or harassment cases, and I don't make the claim that she wasn't sexually assaulted. The only claim I made is that opening vignettes had a dream like quality and dramatization that I would imagine is the result of years between the events and the writing of the story, and that the first one I feel is unlikely true to the literal word.

Okay, so this is another situation where analysis is being perceived as attack. I did not say that she lied. I do believe that the hobby has a massive problem with marginalizing people who aren't white men. I had serious concerns running a one shot for my twelve year old niece and my brothers (one of which is obviously her father) because I am somewhat concerned that making her interested in the hobby could bring her in contact with people I don't want her around, and I'm certainly not talking about minorities and women.

I am missing no, forest for the trees. I see the forest. I've been living in the forest. And if my eyes weren't opened to it before they have been for well over a year now.

I make no accusation of malice, and the fact that one is presumed, and I am treated as if it existed when it never did is where I have the problem. Frankly, sometimes I convince myself that telling people what they want to hear isn't the way to go about things, and that it's better to talk things through. Reality usually tugs my leash real hard at that point. Thanks for being part of that reality. It's an important reminder.

Once more, this is uncharitable and not what I said. The dog pile was already happening/had happened. I thought that I could productively have a discussion about that subject. I must have overestimated my ability to articulate those positions given the strange and very non-literal interpretations of them many have taken. Yourself included. I'm sure it was an accident.

I am not trying to deduce the truth quotient of every sentence. I didn't examine every sentence. Hyperbole in this situation isn't only unhelpful it's borderline dishonest.

Point being that I thought I could have a useful discussion. It failed. Therefore I'm sorry I tried because the hassle wasn't worth it, and all I did was piss people off who are probably mostly well meaning and disillusion myself that I can find common ground enough to make common cause with people I agree with on probably 99% of things. So yes, I am very sorry.

Once more, I never accused her of lying, trying to achieve e-fame, or any similar such thing. Saying straightforwardly that a sequence is dreamlike or Lynchian isn't even a question. It's a subjective judgment about the nature of the art. I get that if you think I'm saying that she's lying then that's a reason to be upset. I also get that me telling you I never said that, and that I'm not saying that (even going so far as to me pointing out that I was talking specifically about the nature of memory and it being notoriously unreliable) that you will not believe me. But there it is.

Honestly I think this isn't doing anyone any good. This isn't a parting shot, I'll discuss it further if anyone wants to, but I think I know where you all stand, and anyone who was genuinely interested in my position can just read what I wrote at face value without assuming any weird intentions and get the picture. These ideological purity tests are harmful to this cause and push people away who are or should be allies. Consider my nose slapped. Tail between my legs in the corner.

this is the worst david foster wallace short story i've ever read

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mr. Belding posted:

If approaching a subject dispassionately, makes anyone feel like I don't take their humanity seriously, then I apologize. But, I would say that I'm obviously not dispassionate or else I wouldn't take the time think about or write about these issues. I wouldn't ask anyone else's opinion or try to take hostile internet strangers seriously. And certainly when I'm clinical that in itself is once more, almost exclusively human. We do not know of any animals that stoically distance themselves from emotion or instinct in order to attempt objective measurement other than ourselves.

I spent a sentence or two on whether it happened the way she said, and probably 5,000 words discussing whether or not that one sentence makes me a lovely person. And I already responded as to why I'm so willing to spend my words on this, and it's mostly been interpreted as concern trolling or JAQing off. I'm a self-proclaimed ess jay dubya. I eat poo poo for calling people out on racist or gendered slurs in online games all of the time. I get told I'm a Nazi for being happy enough that Blizzard removed the stupid Tracer victory pose. I wrote a few thousand words about it that I never bothered posting.

What bothers me is that any time I break lock-step over any minor quibbling issue the treatment I receive is so out of sync with what I would think that thoughtful people would produce that it really makes me realize that the people on my side aren't any more thoughtful than those on the other. They just lucked into being right. They don't have a well examined position that they think will make the world a better place. They picked the right team.

So congrats. You spun the wheel and you get to be right, but you aren't really that much better than the other guys.

It's not that important. It is a couple of sentences important. The response is important which is why I've been willing to spend so many words on it. If the imagery that appears in that first vignette doesn't ring the same way to you as it does to me, then that's subjective. That's art. I'm not saying it didn't happen. I never said it didn't happen. Weird things happen. I have never seen neckbeards chant a pedophilic slogan at a twelve year old before. But I would be slack jawed if in all of history it never happened. That's not a bet I would make.

Pretty well aware they effect real people.

I'm pretty familiar with "how you come across" as a form of argument. It's closely related to "it seems like you're saying". I don't believe I've heard that statement precede something that logically follows from the statement it responds to. Let alone something I've actually said, or would even agree with.

But you're right. If I had said, "but oho, can we truly take her at her word? WOULD YOU AGREE THAT--," it would not be productive for anything. Furthermore, the much more nuanced and less offensive thing that I said isn't either. It has produced two good jokes, one of which I told and a lot of words that were mostly ignored but occasionally just had their meanings twisted and restated.

Maybe it made the poorly named Brainiac Five mad. That would be okay.

I did that really annoying thing where I broke up your statement and responded to it in pieces. Hopefully it means that I was able to respond to your actual positions without misrepresenting you which is its purpose. I don't know if that sort of thing is valuable to you, but it is to me.

4/10 needs more footnotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

My friend I believe you would be happier at a site with more likeminded individuals, like RPGSite

• Locked thread